Username
Password

03:11 PM on 10/28/12 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
I tend to go through phases where I'm obsessed with one band for a long period of time, and I noticed that I have done quite a few Format and Fun covers over the past few months. I would really appreciate any vocal feedback or tips on some covers that I did. Nate's got this crazy range that's really hard to replicate, so I found it quite a challenging time (still not happy with certain things, like the bridge in 'Be Calm' that I don't think I can ever make sound good). Anyone else notice that he seems to have started singing a lot higher after The Format?

Anyways, some Soundcloud links:

On Your Porch by The Format
At The Wake by The Format
Why Am I The One? by Fun.
Be Calm by Fun.

Aand, probably my best cover out of them is "Dog Problems" by The Format:

I appreciate any constructive input that may help me out!
05:03 PM on 10/28/12 
User Info.
davidarechiga
davidarechiga
West Los Angeles
Male
Second half of Dog Problems, I can dig it.
05:11 PM on 10/28/12 
User Info.
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
Male - 24 Years Old
that "be calm" cover was really good. i don't know if you listen to walk the moon at all, but i think you'd sound good singing some of their songs, maybe "quesadilla" or "i can lift a car."
02:13 AM on 10/29/12 
User Info.
CheckeredFloors
nah
Male - 21 Years Old
Get a haircut.
07:15 AM on 10/29/12 
User Info.
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
Raynham, MA
Male - 25 Years Old
Staff Member
Dog Problems is my favorite Format song, and I think you did it justice for the most part. However I'm not a fan of Format covers because Nate has such as a distinct voice and now one can really live up to it.
09:14 AM on 10/29/12 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
Dog Problems is my favorite Format song, and I think you did it justice for the most part. However I'm not a fan of Format covers because Nate has such as a distinct voice and now one can really live up to it.

Thanks man! Haha yeah, I can totally see what you're getting at there. His voice is totally one of a kind. Him and Jason Lancaster are probably the top vocalists I envy the most. Plus, I have been trying to develop my own kind of sound/style of singing over the past few months, so it doesn't sound like I'm just trying to sing like the original artist. Wanted to see how this song sounded with a little vibrato in it :P

I tried buzzing my hair last year, looked awful. I look sickly with short hair, for some reason the dark rings under my eyes become way more prominent. Hahaha is going on 20 years with this hair cut kinda pushing it?

that "be calm" cover was really good. i don't know if you listen to walk the moon at all, but i think you'd sound good singing some of their songs, maybe "quesadilla" or "i can lift a car."

I appreciate the recommendation man! I haven't heard of them before, but I'll definitely check them out a bit later when I have more free time- I'm always looking for good artists who have a similar range to mine to help me get better writing ideas for myself and my certain range.

Second half of Dog Problems, I can dig it.

Thanks man, that's easily my favorite section of the song so I'm glad to hear that!
08:56 PM on 10/30/12 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Staff Member

What the fuck is your avatar? I know I've seen that picture before but I have no idea where and it's driving me nuts.
10:50 PM on 10/30/12 
User Info.
CheckeredFloors
nah
Male - 21 Years Old
What the fuck is your avatar? I know I've seen that picture before but I have no idea where and it's driving me nuts.

Hah. Its from Sigur Ros' clip for varuo.
04:41 AM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Staff Member
Hah. Its from Sigur Ros' clip for varuo.

Goddamn yeah! That's the one with the weird shadow dude on the cliffs I remember now haha.
05:07 AM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
CheckeredFloors
nah
Male - 21 Years Old
Goddamn yeah! That's the one with the weird shadow dude on the cliffs I remember now haha.

Yep. So mesmerizing.
05:10 AM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Staff Member
...But not as much as Reece and his babe.

Yeah man. Love that song too, my favorite from Valtari probably. I really loved that record too; don't get why a lot of people thought it wasn't up to snuff or whatever. Oh well.
05:20 AM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
CheckeredFloors
nah
Male - 21 Years Old
...But not as much as Reece and his babe.

Yeah man. Love that song too, my favorite from Valtari probably. I really loved that record too; don't get why a lot of people thought it wasn't up to snuff or whatever. Oh well.

Song's seriously one of the most incredible things I've ever heard. I dunno man, sounds just as good as the rest to me.

And yeah, I miss Reece. A staff member took him away from me : (
05:21 AM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Staff Member
Song's seriously one of the most incredible things I've ever heard. I dunno man, sounds just as good as the rest to me.

And yeah, I miss Reece. A staff member took him away from me : (

Lol for serious? Dat shit cray.
05:23 AM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
CheckeredFloors
nah
Male - 21 Years Old
Thanks man! Haha yeah, I can totally see what you're getting at there. His voice is totally one of a kind. Him and Jason Lancaster are probably the top vocalists I envy the most. Plus, I have been trying to develop my own kind of sound/style of singing over the past few months, so it doesn't sound like I'm just trying to sing like the original artist. Wanted to see how this song sounded with a little vibrato in it :P

I tried buzzing my hair last year, looked awful. I look sickly with short hair, for some reason the dark rings under my eyes become way more prominent. Hahaha is going on 20 years with this hair cut kinda pushing it?

I appreciate the recommendation man! I haven't heard of them before, but I'll definitely check them out a bit later when I have more free time- I'm always looking for good artists who have a similar range to mine to help me get better writing ideas for myself and my certain range.

Thanks man, that's easily my favorite section of the song so I'm glad to hear that!

Anyway, to get old mate Ryan's thread back on track, yes you are too definitely too old for that haircut.

Really need something new bruh.
05:25 AM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Staff Member
I had that haircut in like 10th grade doe

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music