Username
Password
Legal News - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 126.
03:53 PM on 10/30/12
Joey-Wan Kenobi
fourth and goal
User Info.
that's like every pop-punk band suing every pop-punk band for their "nah nah nah" .

not judging her, but i'm sure she had some people around her saying CHA CHING over and over again.

this. the video was added two months ago, had 77 views when I first looked at it 5 minutes ago and has since gotten 40 more. ridiculous claim.

all of those being from ap.net users. haha.
03:55 PM on 10/30/12
pulsar
User Info.
If you could sue and win for "whoa-ohs" being too similar, Pennywise and Misfits would be in court until Doomsday.
03:58 PM on 10/30/12
phillipjacob
@phillipjacob
User Info.
If you could sue and win for "whoa-ohs" being too similar, Pennywise and Misfits would be in court until Doomsday.

This right here.
03:59 PM on 10/30/12
Who Is Ryan?
???
User Info.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<superior pop song featuring "whoa"
04:00 PM on 10/30/12
wtfjaked
Tortoise Tamer
User Info.
It's a ridiculous claim considering how similar many songs sound melody wise. I'm sure they found the song out of random on the internet and decided to steal it.
04:01 PM on 10/30/12
Doombaby
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think it's a cover up for the actual infringement in the song. Which is the The Script "Falling To Pieces". Listen to that pre chorus - it's going to be alright.
04:02 PM on 10/30/12
Kris_Gontz9
Anklebiters.
User Info.
this is laughable, not even the whole "Oh" section is that similar... That being said that song isn't bad at all...
04:03 PM on 10/30/12
ReadyForAction
life in the greenhouse effect
User Info.
Unless she can prove that they all had access to the song before the release of "Good Time" then she won't get very far.

/contributions of a music law geek
04:04 PM on 10/30/12
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
hahaha
04:07 PM on 10/30/12
leftapart
User Info.
That was awful.
04:08 PM on 10/30/12
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
This girl clearly has patented the use of Whoa's. Looks like she'll be making a huge sum off this one.
04:09 PM on 10/30/12
DandonTRJ
~~~ヾ(^∇^
User Info.
This won't go anywhere. Most of the similarities she alleges are so typical of pop music (and are overshadowed by all the differences) that an independent creation defense is almost certain to succeed. Striking similarity is supposed to mean near-exact copying; I seriously doubt the "woah"s meet that standard. And I'm guessing the court will want more access allegations than general availability plus some MTV licensing for the inverse ratio rule to apply. The plaintiff has an uphill battle, and courts love to toss these infringement cases out on motions to dismiss nowadays (failure to state a plausible claim), if not summary judgment. Add the fee-shifting statute in copyright cases (letting prevailing parties recover their expenses) and the defendants have every reason to fight this rather than settle.
04:09 PM on 10/30/12
agl
User Info.
Not close enough to make that case stick. A chorus of "ohs" in a song is so generic, it's kind of pathetic to think she can get money off that similarity.
04:12 PM on 10/30/12
DeeEee1985
The Loveable Twonk
User Info.
Not even close... publicity stunt much?
04:16 PM on 10/30/12
all time (joe)
you are what you do
User Info.
not even close. i don't get why artists ever feel like they can win these lawsuits, seriously.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests