Password

Album Review

Primasonic - Primasonic Album Cover

Primasonic - Primasonic

Reviewed by
Primasonic - Primasonic
Record Label: Antidote Records
Release Date: February 2008
I first found out about this band when I saw them opening for The Vibrators at 3 Kings Tavern in Denver a few month back. Since that day I've been a fan and have been looking forward to seeing them again. And I got to do just that recently when they opened for Death Valley Pom Squad. After the show I got an album free from their lead singer. It's great to see the band's giving these promos away instead of charging some ridiculous price (like a lot of other bands). Now that's how you promote.

Primasonic on disc are a bit tamer than their live show, but they still rock pretty darned hard. I was very surprised by the killer production on this record. It sounds like it could have been released back in 1984. Then again, so does their sound. It's an interesting merging of genres (punk to classic rock) that really does work. I honestly cannot think of another local band here in Denver (or anywhere else) that sounds like them. But that's what makes Primasonic stand out, too.

Musically they can best be described as AC/DC meets the New Bomb Turks and Plimsouls, though I've had friends tell me that they remind them of everyone from The Stooges to The Who on speed. This album contains 13 songs (14, if you count one radio edit), and I absolutely love almost all of them. I could have done without "Paint It Black" but that's just because I really do hate cover songs, for the most part, and I'm also not a Stones fan. While there is another cover song on this disc as well (The Ramones song "I Just Wanna Have Something to Do") they play it at a much slower tempo than the original, and I'd never heard it done that way, so it sounds fresh and original.

Other standout songs on this disc are "BFF" (starts off as a slow almost country-ish number that later builds to Ramones momentum), "Repossession" (a cool-ass tribute to Repo Man), "Teflon Heart" (a true rock 'n roll number), and "Denial" (a very radio-friendly tune which will have you humming along and shaking your head). Another song which I first didn't care for too much but which has grown on me is "Dance," which happens to be a danceable tune in the tradition of AC/DC's "Touch Too Much" and The Vibrators' "Disco in Mosco."

Overall this is a very enjoyable record, and trust me when I say you most definitely will be humming a bunch of these tunes in no time. Yes, they're that infectious.

LinksWebsite | MySpace
This review is a user submitted review from janet2fists. You can see all of janet2fists's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version