Star Slight
User Info.
Good for him

also hip hop cliche about women
12:23 PM on 11/02/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
not sure if you get the album, then

Not sure you understand what I'm talking about, then.
12:25 PM on 11/02/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Yeah this definitely isn't an album you skip tracks on even if you don't like the track in particular.

Sure it is - I have a big problem with the word "bitch" (see any of LoveAsArson's commentary in the Political Forum) used in this manner. It's hard to listen to ... but thanks for telling me how I should listen to music.
12:28 PM on 11/02/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Those songs -- which are like 2 or 3 out of 16 if I remember correctly, compared to those whose are every track -- are him looking back at himself and mocking the stereotypical misogyny that exists in some hip hop. If you ever want to, you should check out the story behind all of the lyrics on the album. It's conceptual. His mind is really incredible.

Also Glassjaw, anyone? haha.

Sure, link me the concept between repeating "bitch don't kill my vibe" so I can see the incredible mind behind this ... I'm open to reading and learning.

Also, I obviously have long had similar contempt (very publicly) for Glassjaw.
12:44 PM on 11/02/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Sure, link me the concept between repeating "bitch don't kill my vibe" so I can see the incredible mind behind this ... I'm open to reading and learning.

Also, I obviously have long had similar contempt (very publicly) for Glassjaw.
It's not aimed at women, "bitch" is aimed at his competition and the bigwigs in the rap industry.
12:46 PM on 11/02/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
I know everyone else mentioned it already, but 1. skipping around the album defeats the point of this album and 2. Kendrick's not promoting misogyny, he's telling a story through the eyes of himself back in high school, before he learned what's "real" and what's bullshit.

On the other hand, I can see if you're frustrated by the constant use of "bish" (bitch), though I don't think he's aiming that at women.
Sigh, that's why he plays on the word and twists it, he's not using it in that manner. It's not really something that takes that much thinking. He's a genuinely good guy.
01:16 PM on 11/02/12
lilRIPsta
User Info.
Everyone always associates hip hop with misogyny as if that's all it's about, but non-hip hop music never gets scrutinized in the same way. Darryl's lyrics in the past, at least, have been pretty degrading whether poetic or personal.

Gotcha, I missed the context of what his Glassjaw comment was about. EYEWTKAS had some mysogynistic lyrics but thats what made it such a powerful break-up album. It captured that moment of anger and heartbreak where all reason, common sense, and political correctness leave and you are left with just poor hate.
01:17 PM on 11/02/12
Star Slight
User Info.
Its the same concept used in OFs music, which he also had a problem with. Dont be surprised
01:31 PM on 11/02/12
Jukebox Romeo
User Info.
I know everyone else mentioned it already, but 1. skipping around the album defeats the point of this album and 2. Kendrick's not promoting misogyny, he's telling a story through the eyes of himself back in high school, before he learned what's "real" and what's bullshit.

On the other hand, I can see if you're frustrated by the constant use of "bish" (bitch), though I don't think he's aiming that at women.
Damn, what a terrible article. Not once when listening to this album 20+ times did I feel Kendrick "wants us all to say bitch." I agree, he's not usually aiming it at women and when he does, it's through the eyes of a character in the story.
01:40 PM on 11/02/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
It's not aimed at women, "bitch" is aimed at his competition and the bigwigs in the rap industry.
The term itself is what I have an issue with, regardless of its intention being "the industry" or not. Using such a term to degrade anyone continues the trend of this phrase being seeing as ok in our society. I take issue with its use. That said, it's only featured (along with other derogatory terms) in a few songs -- and therefore, easy enough to skip while enjoying the album.
01:40 PM on 11/02/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Its the same concept used in OFs music, which he also had a problem with. Dont be surprised
Hiding behind "concept" while propagating antiquated hatred is just ignorant.
01:47 PM on 11/02/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Hiding behind "concept" while propagating antiquated hatred is just ignorant.
Nah, it's not an OF tactic whatsoever. He's not about that at all.

Anyway, I feel like I made my point. I understand you having reservations with the term, but I think it's good to see someone trying to intelligently subvert it to another source, rather than women - it's basically slowly transforming the meaning (but you have to tailor it to an audience who uses it frequently for them to be open to it, in a creative way so that it catches on). I don't know how to explain it without going into more detail, but changing the psycho-sociology of a community isn't easy.

He knows he will reach a wide audience, and when he speaks to the 100,000+ Black youth that look up to him, he'll tell them referring to women degradingly isn't what music or life is about. And if they go "huh?! What about your lyrics?" then he'll explain it exactly as I said- "At one time, but now I haven't once pitted it against women, at all. I was reflecting on my days as a deluded young child in the hood (like yourself)."

I don't think ignoring those from the hood who start to have socially conscious revelations about gender, sex, race, etc is the answer. It's so common, and it isn't fair. One blocks out a lot of powerful voices that way.
01:47 PM on 11/02/12
Jukebox Romeo
User Info.
The term itself is what I have an issue with, regardless of its intention being "the industry" or not. Using such a term to degrade anyone continues the trend of this phrase being seeing as ok in our society. I take issue with its use. That said, it's only featured (along with other derogatory terms) in a few songs -- and therefore, easy enough to skip while enjoying the album.
I asked you this a while back too but I'm curious if your response has changed: why then, is the word "******" censored on this website but "bitch" is not?
01:49 PM on 11/02/12
Arry
apreeesh
User Info.
Macklemore, and now kendrick. independent hip hop artists are comin up!
01:52 PM on 11/02/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
I asked you this a while back too but I'm curious if your response has changed: why then, is the word "******" censored on this website but "bitch" is not?
Because we take a very minimal approach to censorship; which I struggle with to begin with.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos