AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Blink 182 News - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 116.
12:58 PM on 11/05/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Sonically better than Enema IMO. Just the tech enhancements in the recording of music in the last 10 years alone make it sound better than anything pre-TOYPAJ. It's not like they had hacks producing/mixing/mastering it ...

Never said they had hacks, but it is not a good sounding record. ST sounds 10x better IMO. Not even the same league.
12:58 PM on 11/05/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I thought you didnít like them anyway. Ha.

Said who?
12:59 PM on 11/05/12
Nolessthanblink
Are you watching closely?
User Info.
i think they'll benefit from writing/recording together in the same room rather than back and forth through emails though. the process is much faster and more thorough when you are all in the same room bouncing ideas off of each other rapid fire.

however, i get what Tate is saying. just because they didn't record in the same room doesn't mean that that's why some songs suffered. the songs suffered because they just weren't written as well as songs in the past. the production wasn't very bangin' either, which isn't necessarily Blink's fault. i blame Chris Holmes for a lot of why Neighborhoods didn't SOUND as good as it could have. but what do i know?

I was waiting for your obligatory Holmes-hate post. Haha. Well done my friend!
01:01 PM on 11/05/12
bradsonemanband
I make music.
User Info.
I was waiting for your obligatory Holmes-hate post. Haha. Well done my friend!
you know me so well but really. he worked on +44 and Neighborhoods, and both of those suffered from his hands, i'd say. i could be cooooompletely wrong, but i need to blame something! haha
01:02 PM on 11/05/12
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
User Info.
Can you name (without looking) which songs were recorded in the same studio and which were demoed in the same room and which were done 1/2 and 1/2 and which were recorded/demoed 100% not in the same room?
Honestly, I can't. I can only guess that "Love is Dangerous," "This is Home" and "MH.4.18.11" weren't done together, as they either sound like bland Angels and Airwaves or +44 songs.

I mean Tom agrees the distance had a huge effect....

What was it like making a record together after so much time away from Blink?

“I think we weren’t unified as a band. If we were to start now we’d be much more unified. Mark was in his studio in LA, I was in San Diego, everyone was so busy. Out of recording for a year, we were only in the studio as all three of us together for a total of one or two weeks. We only wrote songs together for three days. The rest was emails. But we accomplished it and that’s the big thing. The first song I sent over was Up All Night. People say that sounds like Angels on a Blink record. Well, no – that’s just me.”
01:04 PM on 11/05/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Never said they had hacks, but it is not a good sounding record. ST sounds 10x better IMO. Not even the same league.
I judge production based upon how it sounds on the current album and the artists' intent -- not compared to past albums. Some bands want a more "raw" feel on an album and the intention is for a stripped down production. I don't think the band was looking to duplicate S/T's gloss ... and when looking at the album, as a whole, and with what the band was going for -- I still have a hard time with production complaints.

See: My interview with one of the producers on the album.
01:08 PM on 11/05/12
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
nah dude vocals in the bridges are too pop-punk
future idiots will fix this problem
01:11 PM on 11/05/12
brent_ster
My Dinosaur Life
User Info.
future idiots will fix this problem
I would love to hear Blinks reaction/thoughts on that cover record. I didn't like it.
01:14 PM on 11/05/12
Gae
User Info.
This is good, but the next step is getting a producer
01:14 PM on 11/05/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Honestly, I can't. I can only guess that "Love is Dangerous," "This is Home" and "MH.4.18.11" weren't done together, as they either sound like bland Angels and Airwaves or +44 songs.

I mean Tom agrees the distance had a huge effect....

What was it like making a record together after so much time away from Blink?

“I think we weren’t unified as a band. If we were to start now we’d be much more unified. Mark was in his studio in LA, I was in San Diego, everyone was so busy. Out of recording for a year, we were only in the studio as all three of us together for a total of one or two weeks. We only wrote songs together for three days. The rest was emails. But we accomplished it and that’s the big thing. The first song I sent over was Up All Night. People say that sounds like Angels on a Blink record. Well, no – that’s just me.”
And I think we've learned to not take much of what Tom says at face value, he's feelings on things seem to change and shift quite often. Furthermore, my main point is that while Tom may (now) thing some songs are weaker that were not written together -- songs like "Up all Night" are some of my favorite on the album, and I can't make a valid argument (backed with evidence) that where they wrote the songs made any one song better or worse than another. If I look at the list of where each was written and recorded and mixed and mastered and who was there and whatever -- there's no correlation to my enjoyment of the song. No pattern emerges. Therefore, it's very difficult for me to try and pin any failings on any one item. Instead, like most albums, there are parts I like - parts I don't like - and songs that I feel are better or stronger than others. The strongest songs don't rely on production to begin with ("After Midnight") and are just great Blink-182 songs.

I feel all of the extra bullshit is getting tossed around my fans without ever giving it any real thought -- they want a scapegoat and it's either Tom or the sound engineer or whatever.

Tl;DR: Blanket statements like "the production sucks" or "this album sucks because they didn't write it all together" make no logical sense given the realities and evidence to the contrary.
01:17 PM on 11/05/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Jason, I honestly do not know the answer to this and I truly am curious, but how much experience do you have recording with a band? If you have done some, have you tried both recording together and separate?
I don't think my personal experience with recording has much baring -- since it's the personalities of those involved that make the music. Seen great songs written apart and via email and seen great songs written apart. I think both exist on this album as well.

That said, I have some engineering experience I've picked up on from my time in the studio with friends/bands/producers/etc.
01:21 PM on 11/05/12
DisenShaanted
User Info.
This is exciting.
01:23 PM on 11/05/12
ChaseTx
I thought I read negative comments from you on another Blink post, but now that I think about it, I think it was DGD.
01:26 PM on 11/05/12
cmcginn
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's idiotic if it's a band Tate likes. Otherwise, perfectly valid.
What would AP be without idiotic comments?
01:27 PM on 11/05/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I thought I read negative comments from you on another Blink post, but now that I think about it, I think it was DGD.

Well I certainly didn't like the last album, ha
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News