|Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.|
|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
1. How did you get your band name?
It was inspired by the references to the "yellow bird" on the Bright Eyes album I'm Wide Awake It's Morning. Conor Oberst is one of my favorite songwriters, and a big influence for me. "yellowbirddd" was my email address, and I used that name for a personal myspace page back in the day, so when it came time to name my solo project...it just seemed to fit!
2. How did this band get started?
I've been writing songs since I was about 17, now i'm 28. three years ago, I started taking this project more seriously, at a time when my old band was dissolving, and I was leaving Boston for something, and somewhere, new.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst, Kevin Devine, Andy Hull/Manchester Orchestra, Brand New, Margot & the Nuclear So and So's, etc
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Kevin Devine -- he is a 100% great human and my current favorite songwriter
Conor Oberst -- he is my #1, yo.
The Honorary Title - love those jams, love Jarrod.
5. Best food to eat on tour?
Fresh fruit and veggies. Nuts. Anything homemade.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
All of my songs are based on relationships and/or the process of growing up/figuring out life. If you like listening to music that you can relate to, that will make you feel something, or take you back to a feeling or memory -- I hope my music will make that happen.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Any athlete that is super in shape. How I dream of being a rail thin rockstar dude...haha.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
My parents and my entire family. Friends. Listeners. People willing to take a chance on new music.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I'd kick out all of the high (and low) level people that scam bands and are in the industry for the wrong reasons, etc.
10. Memorable tour experience?
The countless nights (and morning afters) that I slept on the little back bench of my Honda mini van. I am 6 feet tall, yo!
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
A great community and resource for music news. A site run by folks who love music and want to be involved / show support.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Usually, my favorite song to play is the latest song I have written, at the time. I just wrote a new one I am excited about, I don't have a name for it yet.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Nantucket island, off the coast of Massachusetts. Been going there every summer for 10+ years. Love it.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Paul Simon's Graceland record. Neil Young albums.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Teleportation. I could be ANYWHERE, quickly!
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Sometimes my subconscious nerves get going...and I have to pee frequently, haha. I don't like to eat much before performing. I don't like to play with a buzz or drunk. I like going on walks before and/or after playing.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I am a happy, cheerful person -- not as a sad as my songs may sometimes suggest!
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
As much as it seems that radio will eventually become obsolete, and as much as it is terrible that radio is pretty much monopolized by major label gatekeepers/tastemakers -- it is still a HUGE way to get your band to the next level...a BIG next level...being on the radio still exposes you to an extremely large percentage of potential new fans -- "the masses", if you will.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Hang with friends, and family. Go on walks. Enjoy brooklyn and NYC. Travel for fun. Chill out. Watch movies, lots of movies.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I have a pretty strong memory, somewhat "photographic". I am chronically early/always on time. I enjoy doing dishes? Haha.
10:29 PM on 11/05/12
Most of the time I'm pretty disappointed when I check out these 'Random Interviews', but I was so pleasantly surprised by this one. I love this; just a dude with a sweet voice playing his guitar. This music is really really really sooooo good, exactly what I've been aching for lately. So thank you! Your voice is beautiful and you've composed some fantastic melodies! If you ever make your way to the West Coast I'll definitely come out and support you.
02:24 AM on 11/06/12
Anyone else hear a slight Andy Hull similarity?
10:35 AM on 11/06/12
@_kellydoherty for the lolz
Sweet guy and great musician!
More From This Author
Buy the Music