Username
Password
Drama News - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 146.
11:16 AM on 11/07/12
blindrider529
***NICKEL CREEK*** <--GO LISTEN NOW
User Info.
At least Matt Nathanson is a legitimately known musician and not one of these random unknown "songwriters" that appear out of nowhere 2 years later claiming someone much more famous and well known stole a 3 note melody from a song they recorded in their parents basement.
11:18 AM on 11/07/12
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
But in all honesty this is probably also partially strategic on his part. He probably doesn't want money, just for her to mention him or admit it was homage, or at least rebut somehow just to get his name out there more. Just seems like he wants her to mention him for exposure or at least to gain more exposure from the inevitable articles.

That said I still think it was an honest mistake. Or homage.

Right. The issue here isn't with the lyric copying in. Reusing lyrics has a long and great tradition in music -- but he deserves some name recognition. If he is looking for monetary compensation, its a little douchey. But if Taylor is claiming she didn't lift the lyric I can understand why the guy is upset.
11:22 AM on 11/07/12
duritzfan13
Order inspires disorder
User Info.
Can you actually sue over one line?
11:24 AM on 11/07/12
providence36
generator ^ first floor
User Info.
what a joke
11:25 AM on 11/07/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
smh

pathetic
JayBee420
Bright and Early
User Info.
Some of you people in this thread are misinformed and ridiculous. Matt Nathanson is a very well known artist, and a very accomplished writer. Sure he's nowhere near as famous as Taylor Swift, but he's also not a sexy beauty queen with millions of dollars promoting him. That being said, I would still marry Taylor Swift like 8 times.
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Right. The issue here isn't with the lyric copying in. Reusing lyrics has a long and great tradition in music -- but he deserves some name recognition. If he is looking for monetary compensation, its a little douchey. But if Taylor is claiming she didn't lift the lyric I can understand why the guy is upset.

11:27 AM on 11/07/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Some of you people in this thread are misinformed and ridiculous. Matt Nathanson is a very well known artist, and a very accomplished writer. Sure he's nowhere near as famous as Taylor Swift, but he's also not a sexy beauty queen with millions of dollars promoting him. That being said, I would still marry Taylor Swift like 8 times.

that's not the problem here. he can be famous, and even be an awesome musician, but getting worked up over one line in a song?

were the melodies the same too? pop music recycles both lyrics and melodies continuously over time but no one cares then, even with recycled lyrics, a pop song can still be great.
11:28 AM on 11/07/12
JayBee420
Bright and Early
User Info.
C'mon! Sometimes 1 line MAKES the entire song. examples... "For those about to rock, we salute you." "Du, du hast, du hast mich."
11:36 AM on 11/07/12
wearefriends
User Info.
that's a pretty famous Matt lyric. As someone who writes songs (not that I consider myself a Matt or Taylor) I can see where some lines in songs can mix and match, but that's pretty obvious.

The only reason why people are saying it's not a big deal is because it's not "the hook"
11:47 AM on 11/07/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Nathanson > Swift.

And it's not close. If you haven't checked him out -- you should.

Also, why is legal shit being tossed around? Don't see him anywhere saying he wants to sue her ... haha, or wants any legal compensation.
11:51 AM on 11/07/12
Reece Wagner
Registered Member
User Info.
The only thing askew is that Taylor is an admitted Matt Nathanson fan. If I were him, I'd take it as a compliment. If I were her, I'd clarify that it was intended to be complimentary.
11:53 AM on 11/07/12
combatchuckaa
blammo!
User Info.
just piggybacking on the initial joke?

It didn't work.
11:55 AM on 11/07/12
Jake Gyllenhaal
I'm sorry, T!
User Info.
Matt Nathanson was banged by John Mayer and Jake Gyllenhal?
I can assure you, I did NOT bang Matt Nathanson.
11:55 AM on 11/07/12
DandonTRJ
~~~ヾ(^∇^
User Info.

Nope.

I mean, you can sue for just about anything. You just won't win.

(William Faulkner's estate hasn't gotten that memo yet.)
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests