Password

06:03 AM on 11/09/12 
User Info.
Anthony Sorendino
Don't you dare ever give up...
PA
Male - 25 Years Old
Staff Member
So, I'm not a political or economical expert by any means, but I was always interested in Washington's Farewell address of 1796. One of his major points was for America to avoid unnecessary foreign influence:

Originally Posted by George Washington, 1796
Why forego the advantages of so peculiar a situation? Why quit our own to stand upon foreign ground? Why, by interweaving our destiny with that of any part of Europe, entangle our peace and prosperity in the toils of European ambition, rivalship, interest, humor, or caprice?
Read the whole thing here: http://www.csamerican.com/doc.asp?doc=washfarewell#pt4

One might say that his point of view is outdated, but we still follow a constitution that was written in the 18th century...

I mean, look at all of the countries that are more successful than us, with technology that far exceeds ours, and education, and universal healthcare. I mean, we have the highest debt of any country.

What are your thoughts on this? It may seem cruel to allow things like genocide and terrorism to plague the world, but that should be a worldly concern, not an American concern. Why should America be concerned with the rest of the world, when they have so many problems at home?

Discuss.
12:52 PM on 11/14/12 
User Info.
Anthony Sorendino
Don't you dare ever give up...
PA
Male - 25 Years Old
Staff Member
Read a book entitled Overthrow by Stephen Kinzer if you want to know about America's involvement in foreign affairs.
This interests me very much.

As a fellow Pennsylvanian, I trust your recommendation.

Thank you sir.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version