AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

08:44 AM on 11/14/12 
User Info.
steve-0
i think youre an idiot
No Avatar Selected
i lived in Denver for 3 years and currently live in Austin (about 2 years now). I personally liked Denver more. Its cleaner. Its more walkable/bikeable. The weather is better. There are tons of outdoor activities you can do (I personally got into mountain biking, but hiking, skiing/snowboarding, rock climbing, kayaking, whatever are all within an hour or two of the city if not less). Tons of nice parks in the city (I lived close to both Wash Park and Cheesman Park). Lots of neat neighborhood bars and coffee shops.

Austin probably has a better music scene and it definitely has better food. On the other hand, its really hot and humid. There are a good amount of outdoor activities in Austin as well, but its just not as fun/epic/beautiful as the freakin Rocky Mountains. The hill country out west is nice for Texas, but there is really no comparison. You really have to have a car here whereas in Denver, you can fairly easily get by without a car.

Rent is probably fairly comparable in Denver and Austin with Denver probably being a bit more expensive but not a ton. Yuo can probably get a decent one bedroom apartment in Congress Park/Capitol Hill area for $8-900/month (maybe 1-3 miles from downtown). If you want closer to downtown (where a lot of young 20s professional douchebags live), youre looking at uptown or Lodo which is probably more $1500 a month but those are more updated condos or lofts. My first apartment in Denver was a 2 bedroom/1 bath in Cheeseman Park in an old building that was pretty nice that cost I think $900 a month, but that was 6 years ago. I also lived in a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath house in Wash Park for I think $1500/month that we split between 3 roommates. I also lived in Highlands (which is kind of the up and coming neighborhood, although I preferred Congress Park/Capitol Hill/Wash Park area more) in a house for $700/month, but it was a weird situation with the landlord living there occasionally so I got a super cheap deal.

I dunno about Austin rent because my wife and I bought a house here.

All that said, I like Austin a lot (compared to Fort Worth where I lived before here), but I really loved Denver because of what I mentioned above. World class mountain biking. Beautiful mountain views. Rockies games are super cheap. Great weather 10 months out of the year (300+days of sunshine per year on average and in winterits really not THAT cold, and it is rarely windy+cold) and zero humidity. Lots of neighborhood bars/restaurants/coffeeshops.
02:46 PM on 11/14/12 
User Info.
steve-0
i think youre an idiot
No Avatar Selected
Most helpful post yet, thank you so much. I think I have sealed the deal on Denver... going to make one more trip to Seattle in the spring though just to make sure.

no problem man. Feel free to PM if you have any more questions about either city. (Ive only visited Seattle and I thought it was really beautiful as well. You really cant go wrong with all 3 of these cities). I definitely miss Denver (wife is from Texas and doesnt like being far away from her parents, and cold weather) and would move back there if she was into it.

Also, FYI - the first apartment I lived in Denver was through this company: http://www.classicpropertiesofdenver.com/ . All those buildings are fairly old (1920s), but well kept and the company was a very good rental company. I think most of the buildings are within a mile or two of downtown.

If you look for neighborhoods, decent neighborhoods are: Congress Park, Capitol Hill, Washington Park, South Peal, Baker, Platt Park, Denver U area (gettin kinda far from downtown there), Cherry Creek (ritzy shopping area), Highlands (specifically Lo-Hi. Highlands is a really broad area and some of the western parts of it are kinda shady)

Avoid Five Points and Whitter neighborhoods if I were you.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets