AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Immension - 11.12.12

Interviewed by
Immension - 11.12.12The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Immension

https://www.facebook.com/immension

1. How did you get your band name?

It just popped into my head one day after spending months agonising over band names. I don't whether something I had seen had given me the idea or whether it was divine inspiration, but it just sort of came to me. Which sounds really vague I know!

2. How did this band get started?

Basically, me and Tim met around five years ago when I started playing guitar and have jammed together since then. Jonni and Hasan joined us about a year ago which was when we really solidified what we wanted to do and set out to do that. We had been gearing up to this for a year or two previous with other members. But it was when they joined we really hit the nail on the head.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

My main influence is Metallica all the way. That has been the biggest driving force/inspiration in my writing. There are other artists that influence me too of course. I'd say Arch Enemy & In Flames were other metal bands that have inspired me, but I would also add some other styles too. I have great respect for Michael Jackson and Hans Zimmer. I'm also a massive Nickelback fan! I like to think that everything kind of comes together to form this single style that we have.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Oh, that's a great question. Metallica, for obvious reasons. I would love to tour with Nickelback because I'm such a big fan. I also think we would be able to win over a lot of the fans that are less into the rock side of it than the others. Lady Gaga would be cool too! For similar reasons to that last actually. I would like to tour with lots of metal bands I admire and respect, it would be a pretty long list actually!

5. Best food to eat on tour?

We've never actually been on a full tour ourselves yet, not in the sense of doing ten dates in the space of two weeks up and down the country. We have had shows dotted around on consecutive days, like we've played Doncaster, Sheffield, London, Nottingham & Leeds in the space of two weeks, but because they've had more than a few days between them usually, we've always come home after the show. But I would imagine trying to eat relatively healthy, nothing thats going to come back at you with a vengeance when your in the middle of the motorway with no access to a proper toilet!

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Because we are the band everyone can enjoy. We are like the best aspects of your favourite bands all in one. I really feel like we can unite music fans, we have yet had a type of person at a show who doesn't like us. Theres something in our music for everyone to like. We are a band that makes people feel emotion, whether it is anger, excitement, sadness or even happiness, we make music that makes people feel, and giving people something in your music to latch onto is what makes a listener turn in to a devoted fan.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Thats difficult. Perhaps Usain Bolt, imagine being able to run that fast!

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

All the artists that have inspired us to create music and be the way we are today. Wherever the inspiration to write music comes from. And more specifically my Dad, who has supported us from day one, has come to every show, and has always believed in us.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

I'm not really sure. On a whole I think it works quite well. I'd definitely change the idea of staggering release dates for albums. Why a record label thinks it makes sense to release an album at different times for different locations is beyond me. With the way the world is connected nowadays, it makes more sense to make everything available worldwide at the same time.

I would more like to change some peoples attitude towards the music industry actually. A lot of musicians have this view of, 'why don't labels take a chance on this unknown band, or that band etc.' and get really frustrated about it. But at the end of the day it is still a business, and when you realise that and take it on board, you can give yourself a better chance of success.

10. Memorable tour experience?

We turned up on the wrong night to a show once, but ended up managing to play anyway, the bands we played with were nothing like us, but were very accommodating and it ended up being a good night!

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

This is actually our first encounter with yourselves, but after looking, it seems you have a great thing going on in terms of covering music and bands.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Right now it would be 'In Vain' which is the last track off our EP, it's the most fun for me to play, and feels the most powerful as well. It's quite a poignant one for me too in terms of the lyrics, which makes it more meaningful.

But I enjoy playing every song as they all have different feels, not one song is the same to me in terms of how i feel when we play it.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Somewhere hot and sunny! I've never been but would love to go to Miami or California. Would love to live out in the USA one day if I can. But there are lots of other places I'd love to go. Canada would be good, Australia, Japan, Germany, some other European countries. An almost deserted island in the Caribbean would be great too!

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Dire Straits or Eric Clapton. I used to go crazy and jump around when 'Walk Of Life' came on! I also heard 'Layla' by Eric Clapton when I was young too and was blown away by the intro. I still think it sounds heavy now actually!

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

I don't know if it counts as a super power, but to be a vampire. That always seems pretty cool!

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Not really I'm afraid. Im sure as we hopefully become more successful and the shows get bigger and the stakes are higher I might start acting a bit more strange before a show! My main concern before a show at the moment is making sure I stay calm and chilled out. If I get stressed right before we go on because something isn't working or something is on my mind, it has a big effect on how I feel the performance goes at least. It isn't fun for me at least when that happens!

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Not sure actually. Maybe that we have a massive taste in music outside of rock and metal. In fact if we were partying on the tour bus, we more likely to be listening to Snoop Dogg or Dr Dre than Metallica or Slayer!

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

I think a lot of what is on the radio these days isn't good, at least not to my taste. There are some great new songs on too, but a lot of it seems thrown together quickly and kind of pedestrian, a lot of it is music thrown together for people to listen too that aren't hugely bothered what it is they're listening too when they are in a club or driving to work. A lot of radio is throwaway music written for people who listen to whatever is in the chart and then move onto the next thing when it gets replaced by the next new single.

I think to succeed on radio you have to have a cross over quality that means that most people can find something to like in your band. I think we have that, and would do well on the radio. But you also have to write songs that are very to the point and don't go on for more than 3-4 minutes, which is perhaps an area we are slightly handicapped in.

But on the whole I think radio is a great outlet for us to exploit, and also a necessary one if we really want to get to the big leagues as it were.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Myself, I like to go running a lot. I find it a good way to relax and think about things. I enjoy films, restaurants, gigs, shopping, all the normal things really.

The rest of the guys are fairly similar, Tim has a big interest in American Basketball, Hasan is really into Japanese music and film. Jonni likes playing football.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

Jonni is quite the amateur chef! Oh and Jake is quite good at the drums as well as singing and playing guitar. Thats about all we can think of.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests