AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 2 posts.
01:27 PM on 11/14/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Interesting article. However, there's not a scalable model to increase the royalties of these services to be on par with physical media. And without the streaming services, the royalties from a google search for "latest Galaxie 500 album zip" are zero.

I think streaming services should increase their royalty pay-outs as their own profits increase, but how the services make money and the data consumption, mean they're not going to hit physical media rates anytime soon. I would like to see the streaming services offer direct-to-artist donation spots on their pages though. So if you were listening to Brand New a lot on Rdio, you could then click a button and donate some $ directly to the band or something ... donators get week early access to any new material from their favorite artists or something.

I'd be curious to see what the "rate" would look like if the band had gotten a loan/fronted the money for their own recordings, and then put it on bandcamp, or even a kickstarter model.

Bottom line: Making money by making music these days ... is not easy or lucrative.
02:03 PM on 11/14/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Jason, Galaxie 500 aren't exactly a relevant, buzz worthy band, so that's just kind of silly thing to say - as far as googleing them. However, I really like your idea of the donations icon in these streaming services. But what then would essentially set them apart from Bandcamp and pay what you want?
Why? Google can find their music just the same regardless of their relevancy. Scale, mainstream/all artists, and putting the places to pay for music in front of as many people as humanly possible. If I could listen to the new Andy Burrows album for "free" whenever I wanted via Rdio, and I knew I could drop him 10$ or something personally ... I think I'd do that instead of buying the digital album. And I'd probably still get it on vinyl later as well.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS