Password

Album Review

We Shot the Moon - The Polar Bear & Cougar Album Cover

We Shot the Moon - The Polar Bear & Cougar

Reviewed by
We Shot the Moon - The Polar Bear & Cougar
Record Label: The Militia Group
Release Date: December 18, 2007
I was really upset when Waking Ashland called it quits. They had been a favorite of mine for a long time, so when I heard that Jonathan Jones was working on a project with some of the Sherwood guys, I leaped for the EP. To my relief, I was not disappointed.

The collective known as We Shot the Moon encapsulates the best of Waking Ashland, Sherwood, and the California sunshine. The EP's opener, "Sway Your Head," has one of the catchiest hooks in recent memory, along with a nice piano melody and a strong drum backbone. Jones' vocals are dead on, and he ranges up and down the scales effortlessly.

"Julie" is a lilting pop-rock powerhouse with loud guitars and Weezer-like harmonization. "Water's Edge" is very reminiscent of Waking Ashland circa Composure, only it is overflowing with more energy than Waking Ashland ever had. The chorus practically explodes out of the headphones. "LTFP" is the most rock-oriented of the tracks. It takes a while to build up, but when the chorus drops down, the band delivers another crack hook.

The EP closes with the acoustic based "Welcome Home," which was originally one of Jones' solo songs. I might even go so far as to say it's one of the best songs he's ever written. The lyrics are the most complex on the album, and the addition of bells is a nice touch. Jones sounds completely sincere in his delivery, which is nice to hear in a pop rock band. If these five songs are what We Shot the Moon came up with right out of the gate, I cannot wait to hear what they'll come up with for their full-length debut.

Track Listing01. Sway Your Head *
02. Julie
03. Water's Edge
04. LTFP
05. Welcome Home *

* - standout tracks

For Fans OfWaking Ashland, Brighten, The Morning Light

Listen AtWebsite | MySpace | PureVolume
This review is a user submitted review from average_jane. You can see all of average_jane's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
08:24 PM on 02/23/08
huckleberry
Play Ultimate!
User Info.
i bought this ep on itunes, and agree that it is really good
08:50 AM on 02/24/08
nashiscash1324
alright alright alright
User Info.
i bought this ep on itunes, and agree that it is really good

same!

im way excited for their full length even though it'll probably have all of these songs on it
09:40 PM on 04/01/08
punkyandy
User Info.
i agree w/ everything in this review. nicely put
10:53 AM on 07/14/08
bummm
Slave 2 tha booty
User Info.
Good stuff.
05:17 AM on 02/23/11
djdaduff
User Info.