Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 7 posts.
11:31 AM on 11/16/12
ChaseTx
Entitled user
User Info.
So wait...Travis is worth more than Mark & Tom? That drummer list had him at $85 million.
That's what surprised me. I guess all his side projects pay off.
11:43 AM on 11/16/12
ChaseTx
Entitled user
User Info.
Most big name rappers aren't that well off. The ones that are have a hand in a bunch of other business.
12:04 PM on 11/16/12
ChaseTx
Entitled user
User Info.
Just off the top of my head, Jay-Z is worth 450 million and P.Diddy is worth 550 million, that'd put them in the upper echelon of wealthy musicians.
Which proves my point -- they're more than rappers (Diddy is hardly even a rapper). They're businessmen, with stakes in a lot of other big assets.
01:33 PM on 11/16/12
ChaseTx
Entitled user
User Info.
Dave Grohl is the richest badass in the world. He should actually have been on both lists because he is a drummer at heart.
He is on both.
02:01 PM on 11/16/12
ChaseTx
Entitled user
User Info.
He's definitely a rapper. How good of one is an entirely different debate.
He occasionally puts out albums, but I'm pretty sure he writes little or none of his verses.
04:08 PM on 11/16/12
ChaseTx
Entitled user
User Info.
He's put out an album every 2-4 years since No Way Out. That's good enough for me. All sorts of rappers use ghostwriters, by that logic, Dr. Dre isn't a rapper either (he also isn't by your "occasional" album logic).
Dre never was really a rapper. His albums serve more as a showcase of his skills as a producer, as well as promotion for the dozens of featured rappers.

"Ghostwriter" is really only applicable if they're secretive about it. Dre and Diddy never really set out to convince the world that they could be viable MCs. They just want something to put them in front of the music rather than constantly behind it. It's a way of building a brand.
08:07 PM on 11/16/12
ChaseTx
Entitled user
User Info.
I don't think being a producer first and foremost excludes them from being rappers. There's plenty of rapper/producers.
Yeah, I'm not saying they're not rappers, but it's secondary to their production. Like, it would be flawed to say "rapper Dr. Dre".
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS