AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Secret Lives! of the Freemasons - Weekend Warriors Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 9.05
Lyrics 9
Production 8.75
Creativity 8.83
Lasting Value 8.65
Reviewer Tilt 8.62
Average: 89%

Secret Lives! of the Freemasons - Weekend Warriors

Reviewed by: Joe DeAndrea (02/08/08)
Secret Lives! Of The Freemasons - Weekend Warriors
Release Date: February 19th, 2008
Record Label: Victory Records

For me, there hasn't been many releases as of late that have been high up in the re-playability category. There's been plenty of albums that I've enjoyed, but I eventually just become bored of them. However, Secret Lives! of the Freemasons' new album Weekend Warriors has a certain quality to it where their addictive hooks, clever lyrics, and vocals that resemble Daryl Palumbo (but no longer rip-off Glassjaw) make it impossible to put down.

What better way to start off an album with the first track being one of the most fun songs released so far this year? Weekend Warriors' opening song "Chug And Leave" will leave your vocal chords sore from singing along to its incredibly infectious chorus as vocalist Brien Worsham sings "Where were you last Friday night? / We were drinking and staying up all night." The song assures you that this is what the rest of this album is made of, yet not to a point where you'll get bored of listening to it by the time it reaches its end. The rest of the tracks on Weekend Warriors are nothing short of constant energetic fun, providing you with catchy riffs and singalongs throughout, especially on the standout tracks "The New Whack," "Why We Run," and "Mascara." It's the perfect formula for you and your friends' soundtrack to the weekend. However, this album isn't without its flaws. The band's previous material contained a fair amount of screaming on it and while they've definitely toned it down a lot more on this release, they would have been better off getting rid of it completely. Whenever it's present, it just feels unneeded. Luckily it doesn't take away from the album's enjoyment.

Lyrically, the album is not as bad as it could be considering the genre of dance-pop-rock has been over saturated with clichè lines about relationships and sex. While the majority of Weekend Warriors is just about having a great time, along with dealing with the issues that occur in life (which some probably consider clichè), their delivery of it makes it more tolerable than most bands that write about things similar. Although, I'm not much of a lyrics guy to begin with and I don't think lyrics are an important part in this genre anyway. Whether or not they're cheesy, unoriginal or just downright awful, if I can enjoy the record for what it is - I couldn't care less.

Overall, Weekend Warriors is a great album to warm you up during the cold February days. Weekend Warriors could be described as one of those five-hour energy drinks. Even though the album doesn't actually last five hours (and doesn't taste like burning!), the after-shock from giving it a listen will have you pumped up for even longer.

Additional InformationTrack Listing
01. Chug And Leave
02. Mascara
03. Dirty Laundry
04. The New Whack
05. Feels Like Home
06. Why We Run
07. Airplanes
08. There's Wolves Out There
09. Painting Monsters
10. The Death Of...
11. Xanax
12. Life Begins At 40oz.
Produced by: Jamie King

Secret Lives! Of The Freemasons are:
Jim DeBardi - Guitar
Brien Worsham - Vocals
Travis Moss - Drums
Tucker Ensley - Guitar
Josh Carden - Bass
Justin Elrod - Guitar

Myspace
Buy the album

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 53
05:26 PM on 02/08/08
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Cool I'll deff. check this out, good reviewage.
07:13 PM on 02/08/08
FaceLixeMurder
Amplitude!
User Info.
last album was a good listen, so I expect nothing less than a party here
08:03 PM on 02/08/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Been curious as to whether or not this band was worth my time. Think I'll give them a listen.
02:52 AM on 02/09/08
Eadonj
User Info.
This Was bui;t To MAke You Dance was a pretty good album so hopefully this one is even better. Thanks for the review.
10:12 AM on 02/09/08
applesandcyanid
Trollin' Absolutepunk.
User Info.
Good review, good CD, great band. Chug And Leave gets my party vibe started every morning.
10:16 AM on 02/09/08
Heart-A-Tact
User Info.
Good review. I've been curious about this, especially after listening to "Chug And Leave".
10:20 AM on 02/09/08
Gin
What'd those animals say to ya?
User Info.
Got a good feeling about it and after this review I´ll definetly get a copy :)
10:30 AM on 02/09/08
samgasm
Young And Aspiring
User Info.
yep, love this
10:35 AM on 02/09/08
xeightoh3xx
Solidkleenex
User Info.
Great review.
10:39 AM on 02/09/08
jenny_ell
put your hands up for detroit
User Info.
ya i agree. i had a victory sampler and the track listings wouldnt show up on itunes and i was guessing the bands and i thought it was bayside at first, then i thought it was head automatica[even tho they arnt on victory] but ya, this band is cool
10:56 AM on 02/09/08
Maxwell
awefaeeeeeeef
User Info.
definately need to check this band out
10:59 AM on 02/09/08
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
A little too high of a rating but it is not bad
11:09 AM on 02/09/08
travis113p
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this cd is really good. everyone should check it out.
11:11 AM on 02/09/08
BlinkNFG15
User Info.
great review....even better album in my opinion. It's exciting to have fun music like this around this time.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests