AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

02:59 PM on 11/17/12 
User Info.
ChaseTx
Looks like Ben Affleck is working on an adaptation of Stephen King's The Stand

Quote:
The task of turning Stephen King’s The Stand into a feature-length movie has long been viewed as a difficult one at best (a near-insurmountable challenge at worst), for one simple reason: the original book – which varies from 800-1100 pages long, depending on the edition – is divided into three segments which could each suffice as an individual film on its own (amusingly, it’s the opposite of the dilemma facing Peter Jackson’s Hobbit trilogy, where one book is stretched over three films).
Ben Affleck was recruited by Warner Bros. a year ago to help screenwriter David Kajganich (Blood Creek) condense King’s tome into a manageable size, with the plan for Affleck to direct. The Oscar-winner has since been linked to other projects – and with good reason, given the (lack of) progress being made on The Stand.

For the uninitiated, King’s novel is composed of three sections. The first (“Captain Trips”) details the collapse of our civilization as the result of a human-engineered super flu; the second (“On the Border”) picks up in a post-apocalyptic wasteland where the few survivors rally around two spiritual leaders (one for good, the other evil); the third segment (“The Stand”) chronicles the final confrontation between the dual human camps, in a battle that will determine the future of our world. Here is what Affleck had to offer GQ about adapting all three portions of The Stand:
“Right now we’re having a very hard time,” he says. “But I like the idea—it’s like The Lord of the Ringsin America. And it’s about how we would reinvent ourselves as a society. If we started all over again, what would we do?”

http://screenrant.com/ben-affleck-st...g-stand-movie/
03:50 PM on 11/17/12 
User Info.
Farva2
Registered Member
Chino, CA
Male - 24 Years Old
I hope this pans out, affleck is 3 for 3.
04:22 PM on 11/17/12 
User Info.
drudo182
Be Royal
Springfield, MO
Male - 29 Years Old
Really needs to be more than one film.
05:11 PM on 11/17/12 
User Info.
extrakonami
giving the devil his due since '86
Male - 28 Years Old
I really need to catch up on my Affleck. I've heard nothing but good things about his films, and I still haven't gotten around to them.
05:14 PM on 11/17/12 
User Info.
mattyrocks
I hope this pans out, affleck is 3 for 3.

whats the third film besides the town and argo?
05:29 PM on 11/17/12 
User Info.
vivatoto56
Welcome to Christmasland
Billings, MT
Male - 24 Years Old
whats the third film besides the town and argo?

Gone Baby Gone...duh
05:29 PM on 11/17/12 
User Info.
vivatoto56
Welcome to Christmasland
Billings, MT
Male - 24 Years Old
King! King! King! King!
05:35 PM on 11/17/12 
User Info.
mattyrocks

ahh damn silly me
11:31 PM on 11/17/12 
User Info.
vivatoto56
Welcome to Christmasland
Billings, MT
Male - 24 Years Old
As a side note, I loved the original mini series. It was really cheesy but it followed the book well, and honestly that is the most important part.

I'm hoping for a super bad ass Flagg and a better middle section, by which I mean when everything starts going crazy, the part of the book where you don't actually read about any of the characters for a very long time and all the riots break out

The ending is one of those things that will always be hard to adapt, much like the ending of It, so hopefully they figure that out.
12:26 AM on 11/18/12 
User Info.
claw38
Athens, OH
Male - 22 Years Old
Hoooooly shit, one of my favorite books being adapted by one of the best directors out there now (3 for 3!)...split into a few movies, concentrate on being faithful and badass, and this could be perfect.
11:36 AM on 11/18/12 
User Info.
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
say what you will about his acting, but the guy knows how to write one hell of a movie. with this source material, if this comes through, it'll be amazing.
11:37 AM on 11/18/12 
User Info.
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
As a side note, I loved the original mini series. It was really cheesy but it followed the book well, and honestly that is the most important part.

I'm hoping for a super bad ass Flagg and a better middle section, by which I mean when everything starts going crazy, the part of the book where you don't actually read about any of the characters for a very long time and all the riots break out

The ending is one of those things that will always be hard to adapt, much like the ending of It, so hopefully they figure that out.

for real, i love that mini series.

i already have Flagg cast in my head as Viggo Mortensen

and yeah, thats the problem I have with King. dude always flies totally off the railings with his endings.
11:39 AM on 11/18/12 
User Info.
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
Hoooooly shit, one of my favorite books being adapted by one of the best directors out there now (3 for 3!)...split into a few movies, concentrate on being faithful and badass, and this could be perfect.

id rather it be one single 3 hour movie.
11:52 AM on 11/18/12 
User Info.
Lord_Shmi
˚be real black for me˚
Portland, OR
Male
Um, more like 1 for 3
12:14 PM on 11/18/12 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
The ending to The Stand disapointed me more than anything else I've ever read - except King's other novels. Dude should hire someone just to write the last 25 pages of all his books.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos