AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Drew Danburry - Mother Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.25
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8.25
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7.25
Final Verdict: 78%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Drew Danburry - Mother

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (02/09/08)
Drew Danburry - Mother
Record Label: None
Release Date: January 2008

Ever since the Primitive Radio Gods’ verbose single “Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth with Money in My Hand,” musicians (most notably emo singer/songwriters) have had penchants for writing long, complex sentences for song titles. Case in point, California singer/songwriter Drew Danburry. On his latest EP Mother the twenty-something year old offers a brand of quirky, esoteric lo-fi folk pop that shows a wealth of potential but certainly leaves one scratching their head.

Though Danburry's song titles leave a lot to be desired, his lyrical content does not, and that’s certainly his strongest attribute. While his voice is average at best, he manages to ease his vocal wisp into quiet, meditative folk songs and sunny, bristling pop songs replete with bop-bops and hand claps. The first song "I’m Pretty Sure This is Someone Else’s Song, But…" is probably the finest example of his ambient musicianship as he sings to a backdrop of murmurings and background noise that sounds as if the song was recorded live in a San Francisco city market. The untitled second song is his strongest claim on the album. It's nothing more than a voice and a guitar, simple folk hero type stuff, but it's done incredibly well. "Vulnerability as Power..." is decent, but falters compared to its predecessor and the fourth track "Mother is a Song by Danzig Not Me" is another return to the off-the-wall, kitschy sounds of the opening track. Danburry tries his hand at spirituality on the fifth song "My Heavenly Father Loves Me" and it's certainly one of the album's more memorable numbers. The only real knock on this one is the short length. The closing track "Tonight I Was Trying to Read.." actually boasts a title that's more than 100 words long and reads more like a rambling, unfocused journal entry. Musically it's pretty bland as well.

Danburry is a relative newcomer, but if he continues to deliver the same dose of music offered on the Mother EP, I expect him to go places. Now if only he could do something about those song tiles.

Recommended if You LikeAnathallo, Ramona Cordova’s The Boy Who Floated Freely, Sam Beam on an off day

myspace.com/drewdanburry

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
04:49 PM on 02/23/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
good to see someone else appreciate my homey drew
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News