Username
Password

01:04 PM on 11/18/12 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
I am completely intolerant of the view that homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to be married, that poor people and people of color have the exact same opportunities as everyone else, and other ignorant views.

No problem admitting I'm intolerant of those things. They shouldn't be tolerated, period. I can ignore ignorance sometimes, but I don't have to tolerate it.
04:54 PM on 11/18/12 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
I personally think schools should teach all points of view to leave it up to the student to decide based on their own reasoning process, as long as both are called theories. A teacher shouldn't project his personal opinion to a student, they should just lay out the facts, which is why I think it's bullshit that some professor out there said he wouldn't recommend a student to med school if they don't believe in evolution. I think it's just as intolerant to not let someone teach/learn creationism as it is to not let someone teach/learn evolution. Either one is okay for someone to learn and believe in, to me (I personally believe in a mix of both). But, that's just me, and I get that others think otherwise.

However, either one is okay to believe in. That's where tolerance comes in. The intolerant thing would be to hate on that person for their view and to consider them less than you or less deserving of something (like med school, as mentioned in the above example) than you.

It is not the government/public school's responsibility to teach the christian belief system on creation as part of the "science" curriculum. It can be offered in a religion course maybe, but it is not "science", and thus should not be taught in a science class.
05:25 PM on 11/18/12 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
Oh yeah, I never said that it should be something taught in a science class. But, History classes teach about random religions all the time, including Christianity, and they teach it in a way where it doesn't imply that any single religion being taught is true (thus eliminating offending people), it is taught that these religions are beliefs. Why can't creationism be approached in a similar way? I fail to see how it's offensive to have a lecture saying, "This is what some people believe, but it hasn't been factually backed up," explain it, and then go on.

I really don't care that creationism isn't really taught in schools, considering there can't really ever be any factual evidence to back it up, but to just outright call it untrue and to imply that someone isn't intelligent for believing in it is where problems with tolerance begin to emerge. Like I said, I believe in the form of tolerance where people should just learn to live with others who believe differently and respect those views, rather than this new definition that implies that everything must be equal and we all must agree on the same views, if that makes any sense?

A social studies class has a LOT of shit to cover throughout a school year...they don't have time to pick and choose different beliefs and go into them. You teach some basics about the religion, maybe have a fun unit on songs or symbols from the religion, and then you move on.

It's not up to a public school to cover creationism

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version