Username
Password

04:39 PM on 11/18/12 
User Info.
jawstheme
I'm not here. This isn't happening.
Pennsylvania
Male
I personally think schools should teach all points of view to leave it up to the student to decide based on their own reasoning process, as long as both are called theories. A teacher shouldn't project his personal opinion to a student, they should just lay out the facts, which is why I think it's bullshit that some professor out there said he wouldn't recommend a student to med school if they don't believe in evolution. I think it's just as intolerant to not let someone teach/learn creationism as it is to not let someone teach/learn evolution. Either one is okay for someone to learn and believe in, to me (I personally believe in a mix of both). But, that's just me, and I get that others think otherwise.

However, either one is okay to believe in. That's where tolerance comes in. The intolerant thing would be to hate on that person for their view and to consider them less than you or less deserving of something (like med school, as mentioned in the above example) than you.

There is a huge difference in the theory of creationism, which when tested should be discarded by any credible method, and evolution which about as solid of a theory as you can get. I would go as far as to say evolution is a fact at this point. There are many things to be taught at school, why waste time on something that in all likelihood is not true? Why not learn the theories behind creationism at home? Or maybe have an elective class that covers creationism in some way.
Also I can see a lot of issues arising with teaching creationism and people who believe it taking it personally when other students question it. It would be a nightmare for schools. Where evolution really shouldn't offend anyone and there's no reason to take it personal, its a reality of life. In short, evolution is a huge part of biology, its very scientific, and as such belongs in schools. Creationism could maybe fit in some philosophy class or something, but because of the personal nature of the subject for some students it should probably be left out altogether.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos