Password

07:36 PM on 11/18/12 
User Info.
crackedthesky
cause when I fly solo I fly so high
Gladstone, MO
Male - 26 Years Old
I personally think schools should teach all points of view

You know there are like, thousands of different religions, right? You really think it's important for people to learn the basics of every single one of them in school? Besides the fact that this is a terrible idea, it's not mathematically possible. And anyway, where do you draw the line? Should we teach kids in school about White Supremacy? Neo-Nazism? Those are points of view, you really think we should teach them in school?

Of course you don't. So why do we pick and choose?

It's one thing to say "here is what science currently holds, also there are many many religions that do or don't conflict with them, if you are interested you can find more info here _____" and another to actually teach "Here's evolution, also Christianity says all of these things, let's focus on those for a few chapters" which is closer to what happens today.

We don't have the time to teach religious theory in tandem with science, and with the advent of the internet, we don't need to. If someone really wants to disappear into the realm of spirituality, they can do it on their own time, not that of teachers and students who want to learn things that can be and in some cases have been proven.
08:43 PM on 11/18/12 
User Info.
crackedthesky
cause when I fly solo I fly so high
Gladstone, MO
Male - 26 Years Old
Not really responding for him, but responding to your idea of 'how to pick and choose'. There should be some focus in a child's education system to provide context to point of view's which they are likely to encounter in the future. If we are talking about Creationism, in particular, when 46 percent (man, that seems high) of the US holds creationist views, providing context to that those who may not know what Creationism is seems like it would serve the people well. I am not saying spend a day's lesson, I am saying it identify it as an opposing viewpoint, mostly by name only.

Yeah. That would fall under what I mentioned earlier, that there are widely held beliefs outside the realm of scientific theory, and it's fine to point people to sources of other information. I just don't see the point in teaching "all views". "Creationism" is a broad enough term that a passing mention of it is more than warranted, but I don't see a need to get into details in a science class. In sociology sure, since you're not really learning to replace science with them but how they exist in the world together, but not as a substitute for measurable theory.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos