AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
In Fear and Faith - In Fear and Faith Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Average: 83%
Inside AP.net

In Fear and Faith - In Fear and Faith

Reviewed by: justbradley (11/18/12)
In Fear and Faith Ė In Fear and Faith
Record Label: Rise Records
Release Date: October 16th, 2012

Since 2009, California post-hardcore outfit In Fear and Faith has been a band Iíve kept on my eye on, and for good reason Ė they hit the post-hardcore scene by storm with 2009ís Your World On Fire. Theyíve been around much longer than that, but that was the first release I listened to by them, and I was quite floored by it. The production quality wasnít something I admired a lot, the music itself wasnít terribly unique, but it was interesting, nonetheless. They had a lot of potential, and it came within the form of 2010ís Imperial. Essentially, the band took everything that made they unique and threw it into a 43-minute album. In all honesty, it was one of my favorite albums that year, and still remains to be one of my favorite albums today. They explored the orchestral/classical sound that made them very unique, and it really worked to their advantage. In fact, in 2011, they did release an EP entitled Symphonies, which had symphonic renditions of some of their songs. It was a fantastic idea, and it worked very well. Theyíve finally returned with a new self-titled record, so how does this one hold up compared to their previous releases? Well, in all honesty, itís not perfect, but itís a very good record, nonetheless. I wouldnít say this record is as great as Imperial, but itís very close. It does contain everything In Fear and Faith is known for, but itís a bit more generic, this time around. Another major change with this record is the vocalist; screamer Cody Anderson left the band in 2010, so clean vocalist Scott Barnes has taken over both vocal duties, and he does quite well, actually. His screams arenít very unique, but his clean vocals are fantastic, either way. Theyíre just as great as theyíve always been.

The record starts off with ďIntro,Ē an aptly titled song thatís not really a song at all. Well, it is, but it starts off the record on a very interesting note, because the song is composed of screaming, as in people actually screaming, gunfire, and just chaos all around. Itís really creepy, and it doesnít feel out of place, surprisingly. It leads into the second track ďThe Calm Before Reform,Ē which is kinda clever, actually. It starts off with vocalist Scott Barnes screaming over a riff from guitarist Ramin Nimoorand, and Barnesí screams are pretty cool, but like I said, theyíre not too unique. His cleans are truly where he shines, and heís got one of the best voices in post-hardcore, honestly. This song is a pretty good idea of whatís to come on the album, but itís only just a small taste, however. Another thing I really like about this album is that each song leads into one another. The next track ďA Silent DrumĒ leads into from ďThe Calm Before Reform,Ē and itís really cool. This is one of those albums you need to listen to all the way through to really understand and appreciate it. ďA Silent DrumĒ is an interesting track; itís nothing spectacular, but itís pretty cool, nonetheless. Fourth track, ďLook What You Made Me Do,Ē is a much heavier track. It shows off their more metalcore side, and it works quite well. While itís a bit generic, it does work. At this point, there arenít too many glimpses of their symphonic sound, but itís there. It shows up much later in the album in full force, but right now, not quite. It does appear at the end of the song, but barely. The symphonic sound is my favorite part about this band, and that alone makes them quite unique, honestly. Ironically, it appears right in the beginning of fifth track ďSoul Survivor,Ē and this track is a really great track. Barnesí clean vocals take the stage, and it really shows off his voice. The only problem with this album is that it does sound way too similar. This track is one where it does break away from the mold for a brief time, which is nice. The piano/symphonic sound appears more in this song, too, which is also great. Next track ďA Creeping DoseĒ is a bit generic, except for a part in the middle with piano and keyboards combining. It sounds really awesome, and nothing Iíve ever heard before. This is why I like this band a lot. Seventh track ďIt All Comes Out (On the Way Down)Ē is the first single that was released last year, and I remember listening to it, and thinking it was pretty interesting. Nothing as great as Imperial, and it certainly isnít the best track on here, but itís not bad, either. Itís an enjoyable track, nonetheless. If anything, In Fear and Faith know how to write killer choruses. Every song on this album has a great chorus. But on eighth track ďEnigmatic,Ē itís an instrumental song. Itís an interlude, basically; itís a very soft and beautiful piano song by Ramin Nimoorand. Itís absolutely fantastic, and one of the best songs on the record. It really compliments the heaviness that they have with something angelic and beautiful like this.

The last four songs on this record are pretty good, especially ninth song ďDream Catcher.Ē This is another great song thatís worth listening to. Immediately, it brings back what In Fear and Faith is known for. Thereís a really cool vocal distortion in the middle, too. The other three tracks are great as well, especially the eleven track, ďLast Man Stranded,Ē and the closing track, ďSelf Fulfilling Prophecy.Ē The former is a very slow track that features Barnesí cleans against a piano riff, and it sounds so beautiful again. Itís a very nice track, and easily one of the best tracks. Itís rather different, and I like it a lot. The latter is a very enjoyable track, too, and itís a nice closer as well. It ends the album on a rather heavy note, because Barnesí screams make a return, albeit briefly.

Basically, this is a band thatís been on my radar for a few years, because their sound is absolutely fantastic; they combine post-hardcore, experimental, and classical. Mainly what keeps this band from becoming a generic band is vocalist Scott Barnes, and guitarist/keyboardist/pianist Ramin Nimoorand. All the other musicians are great as well, donít get me wrong, but both of these musicians specifically really add to the music itself. Although the self-titled isnít as great as Imperial, it still is worth listening to, because it does expand upon that album. Itís much more mature, and while I donít like it as much as Imperial, Iím sure other fans will disagree. What Iím sure all the fans can agree on, however, is In Fear and Faith have never put out a bad album. Sadly, though, this band has been quite underrated for a long time. Regardless, this is a great record for post-hardcore fans.

Recommended If You Like The Color Morale, At the Skylines, Blessthefall, Dream On Dreamer, post-hardcore, etc.

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Intro
2. The Calm Before the Reform
3. A Silent Drum
4. Look What You Made Me Do
5. Soul Survivor
6. A Creeping Dose
7. It All Comes Out (On the Way Down)
8. Enigmatic
9. Dream Catcher
10.You Had Your Chance
11. Last Man Stranded
12. Self Fulfilling Prophecy

In Fear and Faith is:
Scott Barnes Ė lead vocals
Sean Bell Ė rhythm guitar
Jarred DeArmas Ė bass guitar, backing vocals
Mehdi Niroomand Ė drums, percussion
Ramin Niroomand Ė lead guitarist, keyboards, piano

www.facebook.com/infaf

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4.
07:26 PM on 11/23/12
Speed512
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Astounding review!!! However, Cody Anderson left in 2010 not 2011. To me this album pointed them in too much of a generic sounding direction for me to stay interested in them. However, i loved symphonies and will be awaiting symphonies 2.
10:49 PM on 11/23/12
justbradley
User Info.
Astounding review!!! However, Cody Anderson left in 2010 not 2011. To me this album pointed them in too much of a generic sounding direction for me to stay interested in them. However, i loved symphonies and will be awaiting symphonies 2.
Thank you! I'm glad someone actually looked at this review, because I love this band so much. Anyway, he left in 2010? I'll definitely edit that in somehow. That's kind of how I felt about this, too, though. It was good, but the genericness was starting to show up in bits and pieces. I still think they're great, because they still do have that symphonic sound, so they manage to stay unique, you know? Symphonies was awesome, too, and I've never heard a band like that do that before, so it really shows them thinking outside of the box, basically.
07:32 PM on 11/25/12
hanselromero
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm gonna have to write my own review of this album--I feel like you didn't do it justice. Sorry.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests