AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Woe, Is Me - Genesi[s] Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 4
Musicianship 2
Lyrics 1.5
Production 4
Creativity 1
Lasting Value 2
Reviewer Tilt 2.5
Final Verdict: 24%
Member Ratings
Vocals 0.25
Musicianship 0.25
Lyrics 0.25
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Average: 3%

Woe, Is Me - Genesi[s]

Reviewed by: hanselromero (11/19/12)
Woe, Is Me - Genesi[s]
Record Label: Velocity (Rise)
Release Date: 11/19/12

Well, fuck. You'd think that, after talking so much shit about the ex-members of Woe, Is Me, they wouldn't spend an entire album doing the same. Clearly, we've all well overestimated them and their "rebirth," as it's proved to be nothing more than a sad attempt at keeping up. After spending 30 minutes of my time (during homework, a god awful idea) listening through it, my only thought was of how sad it was that people would be out there getting utterly disappointed by this.

Let's hit on a couple of main points, shall we? First off, the lyrics are pathetic. Really, we get it. You're grown men that are too butthurt to put the past behind them. Apparently, they thought that was an invitation to scratch out some words you'd more likely see in some depressed (or unnecessarily angry) middle schooler's poetry journal. If that wasn't enough, they beat the same idea (and, sometimes, even words!) to death track by track.

Next, their vocalists quickly prove to be utter disappointments. I didn't like Alligood from the start. That may just be me looking down on him because he's no Tyler, but I have a feeling that ain't it. Granted, there's definitely some talent in him, but this album doesn't let any of it out. He and his partner in crime Doriano Magliano (that description seemed fitting) get really old, really quick. Magliano's screaming range is extremely limited and he fails to be original in most of his phrases. Alligood is forced into the same melodic passages over and over again, and he, too, fails to mix it up even a little bit.

That takes me into the next thing: musicianship. I mean, seriously, guys? I could probably play this entire album on guitar--and that's a horrid thing to say, considering how dreadful I am at the instrument. It's the same old chugs for upwards of 9 tracks, and if not, it's a bunch of power chords (for those of you theory junkies like me following at home, vi-IV-I-V seemed to be their "melodic" chord progression of choice. They used it in 4 different songs. The entire album only has 6-7 melodic passages) in an attempt to change it up, which they inevitably fail to do. There are no prevailing melodies or ambient guitar shrills like we so craved from Number[s]; in fact, I'd be surprised if I listened to it again and found anything but chugging. So, I guess if you find amusement from hitting your head against the wall over and over, then the instrumentation on this album should keep you well entertained.

I'm not surprised the band chose to release "I've Told You Once" as the first single of the album; it just so happens to be the only borderline-bearable song on it. After listening to it, you can get a legitimate feel of what the entire album is like. So if you're into metalcore that really just blows, you'll find yourself liking this album and I'm sorry. If not, well...try again next time, WIM.

Recommended If You LikeGenericore, bad Risecore, bad metalcore, chugchugchugchugchug, etc.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3.
08:25 PM on 11/25/12
dmcaloon
www.facebook.com/The30thOfFebruary
User Info.
This is probably the best and most fair review of this album. RIYL is so true it hurts.
05:41 PM on 11/28/12
hanselromero
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thanks, dude! Love Always, Leviathan is one of my all-time favorite albums. Just sayin'.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS