AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 11 posts.
01:39 PM on 11/20/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
"Deja" remains my go to .. I knew that was special on first listen. Recently Kanye and Bon Iver and Radiohead are the only others that come to mind.
02:58 PM on 11/20/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
also fuck you, you don't make the rules here.

03:02 PM on 11/20/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
In regards to Kanye, his classics are the first 2. MBDTF doesn't come close.

Could not disagree more.
03:04 PM on 11/20/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Mbdtf is not a "classic" and ive asked why people call it one multiple times and no one answers. Everyone naming all their classic albums in here negates what the article said and just adds to the detrimental consumption of popular culture
The comments aren't for the article - it's for the news post - which includes the entire second paragraph. Your final sentence makes no sense. The consumption I popular culture?
03:16 PM on 11/20/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Yes. The fact that listeners constantly compare every hip hop album that comes out to classics like Illmatic. Thus causing artists to strive to make "classic" albums which they ultimately fail at.

The conversation was caused by the article, I think people should read and think about it before they argue if MBDTF is classic or not. It shouldnt matter
Why not strive for greatness?
03:19 PM on 11/20/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Theres a difference. A big difference

I have no idea what you're saying.
03:23 PM on 11/20/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
I mean, as the article points out, even meek mill did it. Im arguing more about listeners calling things classics. Its tough to dissect the artists true motives and stuff

Most modern philosophy is that artistic intent doesn't matter in critical judgement.
10:41 AM on 11/21/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
I think the biggest issue you're not really getting is that by striving to release a "classic" album, some artists may compromise their sound to fit into the mold of previous classic albums. Not every hip-hop album needs to sound like Illmatic to be a classic, not every rock album has to sound like Sgt. Pepper's or whatever, not everyone should be trying to sound like Bon Iver just because he released a great record.

There may be some related aspects that take an album into the "classic" level that are common across many, but one I think is definitely necessary is crafting a unique style that is cohesive across an entire album. The issue comes from certain artists striving to repeat the style from a perceived greatness from one album, when they have higher potential going in a different stylistic direction. In this way, by copying the format and tone of a great "classic" album in order to release their own classic, they compromise their style to fit into a mold they don't necessarily match, while also releasing an album that is not as strong as it could have been if they just played towards their strong suits and released what they wanted to without having the pressure of needing a "classic" in their catalog.

Essentially, artists would be better off listening less to what albums fans name as instant classics, and more focusing on what they can do to make the best album in the sound they're going for.
Which would be striving for greatness ...
10:41 AM on 11/21/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
An album is considered a classic if Jason Tate says so.

If it's a personal classic - sure.
01:33 PM on 11/21/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Like how brand new tried to make a 90s alt rock record and failed completely

But they didn't ...
01:34 PM on 11/21/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Yeah, but what he's trying to say (and what the article basically said) is that a lot of artists strive for other people's greatness rather than their own and the result is a decrease in innovation.

But that is a straw man of my argument.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums