AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 3 posts.
01:49 PM on 11/20/12
georgedcc
User Info.
For me an album is a classic, if I can imagine myself listening to it for the rest of my life, so I wouldn't use the term lightly. Not sure if there's been any albums released this year that I'd describe as classic. I'd use it within a genre, like 'What's Going On is a classic soul album' meaning it's in the absolute top tier of soul music.

It's a completely personal term for me as well, if you say that album X is a classic, that's cool, but it's not necessarily for me.
03:03 PM on 11/20/12
georgedcc
User Info.
Do people think you can call an album a classic without liking it? I don't really like The Rolling Stones, but their influence is so vast that it can't be denied. Still doesn't mean I particularly like their music, but can I honestly say that Exile on Main Street or Let it Bleed is a classic album, despite the fact that I probably won't listen to that album again?

I guess you could use the Finch and Underoath examples like Drew did, but I'd be extremely reluctant to call those albums classics.
03:09 PM on 11/20/12
georgedcc
User Info.
well, it's important to realize that I mentioned those albums in the context of this "scene" and not music in general. People are just going to read the albums and not realize the context they are in.
Well, I think I understood the context, sorry if I mis-represented your view there.

What I'm getting at, I guess is, does it make sense for me to say 'Underoath's TOCS is a classic album within "The Scene", but that album fucking sucks"?
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests