AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 3 posts
01:27 PM on 11/21/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
A "classic" is what turns the genre completely on its head. Hip hop: Nas' Illmatic was (and is still) a classic. FIVE MICS.

No but seriously, it really changes what a genre means consciousness wise, production approaches, lyrical ideas, etc etc that everyone gravitates to experimenting with in a similar way or beyond it.
01:30 PM on 11/21/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Also, hats off to Adam for opening such a big discussion.
04:00 PM on 11/21/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
I hadn't been aware that GKMC was being considered "classic". Except for Kanye's MBDTF, the last few years I haven't thought about any album in that context, my favorite albums just end up on my end of the year list. As GKMC probably will, probably in the #1 spot.

But I wouldn't say it's a classic, and pretty much whatever else I believe has already been stated very well by that Star Slight and Argentine post. Though I will back the side that says TCD, LR and MBDTF are classics.
About GKMC, you might be interested in reading this. Very relevant to this volatile topic.
It's an interesting review war/debate that I dipped into myself a couple of weeks ago under the username laralogic.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos