AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 2 posts.
11:28 PM on 11/20/12
The_Effort
User Info.
I feel like the word classic gets thrown around a lot in this day and age. Every time an artist puts out an album that is exceptionally good, it seems like people throw out the classic card almost immediately. Why? Can't an album just be a great album and not an "instant classic"? Does instant classic even exist if how it holds up over time is a factor?
As far as GKMC goes, I think it has classic potential. Is it a classic (in my eyes)? No. Is it possible that one day it will be considered classic? Yes, I think so.

Have things always been this way? When Illmatic came out, were people praising it the way they do now, or did that acclaim take time? When Third Eye Blinds album came out, what did people say other than its good?

Edit: read the article- it shed some light on what people said about Illmatic upon its release. Good read.
01:16 PM on 11/21/12
The_Effort
User Info.
When an artist tries to make a great album by copying stylistic decisions on another artist's album, it diminishes the greatness of their album and it's viability as a possible classic, because the sound is not unique to that artist. It does, however, reinforce the classic status of the album they're striving to recreate.

I agree with this whole heartedly.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums