AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 33 posts
01:40 PM on 11/20/12
Star Slight
User Info.
Everyone check the original kendrick thread for a great discussion about it too. Hip hop's fascination with albums being classics is detrimental to the genre. If someone can tell me why gkmc is a classic, ill listen
01:47 PM on 11/20/12
Star Slight
User Info.
Link? Would like to read.

http://images.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2823872

On mobile, sorry. You can edit that into the OP if you want
02:47 PM on 11/20/12
Star Slight
User Info.
Huh
02:57 PM on 11/20/12
Star Slight
User Info.
Yikes lets not start naming what we think are classics. Weve gone too far now that Finch is in the mix
02:59 PM on 11/20/12
Star Slight
User Info.
I think were all aware of that
03:02 PM on 11/20/12
Star Slight
User Info.
Mbdtf is not a "classic" and ive asked why people call it one multiple times and everyones like oh. Everyone naming all their classic albums in here negates what the article said and just adds to the detrimental consumption of popular culture
03:07 PM on 11/20/12
Star Slight
User Info.
The comments aren't for the article - it's for the news post - which includes the entire second paragraph. Your final sentence makes no sense. The consumption I popular culture?

Yes. The fact that listeners constantly compare every hip hop album that comes out to classics like Illmatic. Thus causing artists to strive to make "classic" albums which they ultimately fail at.

The conversation was caused by the article, I think people should read and think about it before they argue if MBDTF is classic or not. It shouldnt matter
03:18 PM on 11/20/12
Star Slight
User Info.
Why not strive for greatness?

Theres a difference. A big difference. And that leaves out the listener/critic's opinions which are pretty important in terms of criticism and analysis these days
03:21 PM on 11/20/12
Star Slight
User Info.
I don't think there's a whole lot of rappers out there releasing albums right now that actually strive to make something cohesive. In the end, a lot of them come out with a string of singles like 2 Chainz, Rick Ross, and Big Sean that knows their audience just wants a few songs.

I mean, as the article points out, even meek mill did it. Im arguing more about listeners calling things classics. Its tough to dissect the artists true motives and stuff
03:24 PM on 11/20/12
Star Slight
User Info.
I have no idea what you're saying.

Im on mobile and dont feel like fleshing it out right now. If you really care, everything that I am trying to say was discussed more eloquently in the kendrick thread by myself and argentine
03:25 PM on 11/20/12
Star Slight
User Info.
Most modern philosophy is that artistic intent doesn't matter in critical judgement.

Which is why Im sorry i brought the artist into it. My point on the consumer still stands
03:34 PM on 11/20/12
Star Slight
User Info.
True, but I don't necessarily consider the artist's motives when I like something. Chris Cornell jumbled a bunch of words together and made "Black Hole Sun" - that doesn't make me like it any less.

I disagree that a classic album has to make a landmark statement. Kanye West's "808s and Heartbreak" ushered in the R&B that we hear today from The Weeknd, Frank Ocean and Miguel, but it's a very flawed album that proved R&B could be dark. MBDTF was a classic, in my opinion, and really didn't change much about hip-hop.

My main point for bringing the artist into it stemmed from the article touching on Meek. Ive followed the dude from his bootlegged franklin mills mall mixtapes. Dreams and nightmares is a good album but it isnt a Meek album. Thats not the rapper he was before he got famous and its not the rapper he was on dreamchasers 2. He tried to do something different, thats obvious, and the writer speculates that he was trying to make what he thought was a classic. Obviously no one can know for sure, but the idea of hip hop artists trying to make classics by changing their sound is scary

It all comes down to everyone trying to compare every hip hop album/artist to the classics. No one compares the new Menzingers album to the Clash or to Zeppelin. Hip hop is too young but also too diverse to be doing that, which is why i dont get down with classics talk
03:38 PM on 11/20/12
Star Slight
User Info.
Ah ok. I get what you're saying. Yea, I felt like that album was out of Meek's wheelhouse. But I blame that on Maybach Music. I'm one of those people that think they ruin everything.

Ha, well that could be. I think meek was in his element/shined on MMG stuff though
03:52 PM on 11/20/12
Star Slight
User Info.
That article (great read by the way) reminds me of this blog post. And if any album this year has been on the receiving end of the sort of hero-posturing critical acclaim that Nosnitsky writes of here, it's Channel ORANGE.

Good article
04:00 PM on 11/20/12
Star Slight
User Info.
It is a classic at this point in time and will probably outlast other albums even within West's own discography.

For one the middle section of that album ("All of the Lights"-"Runaway") is one of the best I've ever heard. Every song in that sequenced is nailed perfectly. Another thing I think that makes the album a classic is that there's always something you hear when going back to it that makes it even better. 2 examples: 1)good friend told me the most underrated and overlooked verse was Raekwon's on "Gorgeous" 2)Discovering that the Chris Rock bit on "Blame Game" was who 'Ye was rapping about made me like that bit a LOT more

I also feel that it's West at his best. He took the best of his previous albums and wrapped it all together to make his best work.

Oh and I think it's the best 80 minutes in music in forever. Whenever I listen to that album it doesn't feel like a chore to listen to that much music. It never feels like 80 minutes.
I mean I don't disagree with it being a very good album, it was one of my favorites from 2010. And I can understand why people love it so much, it's very different from just about any other album out there. But why do people feel the need to call it a "classic" right now? Or a week after it was released? That's what I'm trying to get at. I can honestly see it becoming a classic down the line. 5-10 years after its influence has changed the rap game, which it kind've already has, I'd be more comfortable discussing the album in that context

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos