Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 11 posts
02:45 PM on 11/20/12
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.

Defined as what? Days? Weeks? Months?

Where can you say "classic" in describing it?
02:45 PM on 11/20/12
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
Everyone check the original kendrick thread for a great discussion about it too. Hip hop's fascination with albums being classics is detrimental to the genre. If someone can tell me why gkmc is a classic, ill listen

Link? Would like to read.
03:15 PM on 11/20/12
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
To me, a "classic" album doesn't necessarily have to have that much so-called "lasting power". Any album that is specifically indicative of a stage of my life gets classified as a classic for me. Take Ocean Avenue, for example. Almost everyone on this site would consider it a classic, but if they took a step back and looked at why it was a classic for them, it would be because it was a major part of that stage of their life. And that's my two cents.

Good point. The old question of where does an album hold water more: in a personal timeline or a historical one.
03:38 PM on 11/20/12
Adam Pfleider
User Info.

Why 5?
09:15 PM on 11/20/12
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
Because at the very least, it passes the hurdle of a decent length of time without being forgotten by the masses.
define the masses? some albums can be classics within their genre, but not mainstream. plus 5 years is an arbitrary number.

a lot of people are talking about influence in here as well and where it stands in the great spectrum of culture and movement and progression within music. albums that are challenging not only to a specific genre, but music as a whole. 5 years, 2 years, three months means nothing.
09:27 PM on 11/20/12
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
I guess you really also have to consider the fact that our generation is far more saturated with music than the generations before us, which makes it harder to push through everything we personally enjoy and find the albums that are considered gems by society as a whole.

this is a great point.
09:33 PM on 11/20/12
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
It's easy to see how an artist's growth could get stunted in pursuit of what they have been told is masterful.

think about this all the time. it's why I really don't like scores on reviews.
12:42 PM on 11/21/12
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
just hopping in to say I'm loving the convo going on in here. been thinking about it some of the day.

my final consensus is this. Most bands that I've talked to about their "classic" albums (albums that are deemed classic by critics and fans alike for having some sort of stake in the greater scheme of musical progression down to the its place in a specific genre) those bands weren't trying to MAKE a classic record. I agree with Jason in that every band who writes a record should strive for "greatness" in a sense. That's what pisses me off about these bands that gloss over their work. that's a sign that they care more about the product and not about the work IMO. I'd rather Brand New write five albums and scrap them all before writing what they think is a great record. that's striving for greatness. They're not always going to make another Deja or another TDAGARIM.

point is, bands/artists/musicians whoever should go into anything with full force and create something they think is special. something they can be proud of. I think that'll resonate for the most part into whether or not a group of asshole critics or elitist music consumers consider it a classic or not. At the end of the day, that's the starting point.

P.S. - Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Don't punch an old lady over that last $200 flat screen.
12:43 PM on 11/21/12
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
Fuck it

Built to Spill - Keep It Like A Secret

Is a classic
I think Perfect From Now On is more, but I can see arguments for both
01:18 PM on 11/21/12
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
You In Reverse is amazing as well

Omg. Just gonna listen to built to spill all day :)

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos