Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 4 posts
08:42 AM on 11/21/12
Br&New182
...survived prep school.
User Info.
to me a classic is an album that is indicative of it's time yet progressive and has lasting value. with that being said, SWYA by saves the day is a classic to me, as well as deja entendu and bleed american and enema of the state. iarb by say anything might be as well. the only album in recent time that i've heard that i might consider a classic is Suburbia, I've given you all and now I'm nothing by the wonder years. i know everyone's jumping on the twy train but there's a great narrative to that album and i still given it daily spins 1 1/2 years later and have no sights of slowing down.
08:44 AM on 11/21/12
Br&New182
...survived prep school.
User Info.
Personal Classics

Counting Crows - August And Everything
Saves The Day - In Reverie
Dinosaur Jr - Where You Been
Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American
American Steel - Jagged Thoughts
No Use For A Name - More Betterness
Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends
Brand New - The Devil and The God Are Raging Inside Me
Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head

tbc or swya will be remembered as std's classic(s), but in reverie really has thr most musical prowness. swya though is just flawless to me as an album.
08:54 AM on 11/21/12
Br&New182
...survived prep school.
User Info.
I read that Pitchfork article, and I completely agree. I can't understand why people listen to Kendrick's album and instantly call it a classic. More than half of these people will put this album out of their personal rotation in 6 months and possibly never return to it.

Certainly there is a difference between a personal classic and a generally acclaimed "classic" record. For example, a personal classic of mine will be Saves The Day's "Stay What You Are". While this record is considered a classic within the means of music listeners who seek out the emo/punk scene, for the majority of people, it's not. I'd say something like The College Dropout is on it's way to be a worldwide "classic". Has lasting value, tracks are still played by people all over the world to this very day.

I guess you really also have to consider the fact that our generation is far more saturated with music than the generations before us, which makes it harder to push through everything we personally enjoy and find the albums that are considered gems by society as a whole.

very accurate statement. both are easily "classics" but I heard swya because i'm in this scene. i listened to college dropout back in the day because I "had to" as a fan of music.
09:00 AM on 11/21/12
Br&New182
...survived prep school.
User Info.
IT was hard for me to choose. I would never choose tbc as their classic but I do think swya probably is their biggest universal classic. For me personally both SWYA and In Reverie are very special. I think I choose In Reverie is because I can end long nights with it really well. As good as tbc was good for what it was Saves The Day only got better. swya and in reverie are high points on their discography and the trilogy were not as good in my opinion but had some great songs and I personally liked them more than tbc. Daybreak was std in rare form again so I really hope the band continues with their current sound and lineup.

agreed. tbc is good, but not std's best. swya is thier best emo/pop-rock release. like you said though, this album is special. see you, nightingale. aygtf, freakish, firefly and exit still get daily spins. in reverie is thier best indie and i'm starting to really enjoy it, espeically the title track. sound the alarm i thought was strong but suffered from redundant themes. utb felt too drawn out, but can't stay the same/radio/ and get f--ked up are still solid. . daybreak was stronger but chris' voice really gets to me on the record and the lyrics fell too drawn out again at times.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos