User Info.
Fuck it

Built to Spill - Keep It Like A Secret

Is a classic
11:42 AM on 11/21/12
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
just hopping in to say I'm loving the convo going on in here. been thinking about it some of the day.

my final consensus is this. Most bands that I've talked to about their "classic" albums (albums that are deemed classic by critics and fans alike for having some sort of stake in the greater scheme of musical progression down to the its place in a specific genre) those bands weren't trying to MAKE a classic record. I agree with Jason in that every band who writes a record should strive for "greatness" in a sense. That's what pisses me off about these bands that gloss over their work. that's a sign that they care more about the product and not about the work IMO. I'd rather Brand New write five albums and scrap them all before writing what they think is a great record. that's striving for greatness. They're not always going to make another Deja or another TDAGARIM.

point is, bands/artists/musicians whoever should go into anything with full force and create something they think is special. something they can be proud of. I think that'll resonate for the most part into whether or not a group of asshole critics or elitist music consumers consider it a classic or not. At the end of the day, that's the starting point.

P.S. - Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Don't punch an old lady over that last $200 flat screen.
11:43 AM on 11/21/12
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
Fuck it

Built to Spill - Keep It Like A Secret

Is a classic
I think Perfect From Now On is more, but I can see arguments for both
11:52 AM on 11/21/12
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
just hopping in to say I'm loving the convo going on in here. been thinking about it some of the day.

my final consensus is this. Most bands that I've talked to about their "classic" albums (albums that are deemed classic by critics and fans alike for having some sort of stake in the greater scheme of musical progression down to the its place in a specific genre) those bands weren't trying to MAKE a classic record. I agree with Jason in that every band who writes a record should strive for "greatness" in a sense. That's what pisses me off about these bands that gloss over their work. that's a sign that they care more about the product and not about the work IMO. I'd rather Brand New write five albums and scrap them all before writing what they think is a great record. that's striving for greatness. They're not always going to make another Deja or another TDAGARIM.

point is, bands/artists/musicians whoever should go into anything with full force and create something they think is special. something they can be proud of. I think that'll resonate for the most part into whether or not a group of asshole critics or elitist music consumers consider it a classic or not. At the end of the day, that's the starting point.

P.S. - Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Don't punch an old lady over that last $200 flat screen.
yep.
11:52 AM on 11/21/12
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
When it comes to hip-hop, I don't consider any of it to be 'classic' - far from it.
Wow, uh.
I'd like to nominate The Shape of Punk to Come as a classic in this thread. Thoughts, go.

Thirded, since it's been seconded already.
11:53 AM on 11/21/12
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.

Oops :/
11:54 AM on 11/21/12
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
User Info.
Everyone check the original kendrick thread for a great discussion about it too. Hip hop's fascination with albums being classics is detrimental to the genre. If someone can tell me why gkmc is a classic, ill listen
Don't listen to it if you don't want, but I bet you people will still be calling it a classic in 10 years... just my opinion
11:55 AM on 11/21/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I think Perfect From Now On is more, but I can see arguments for both

You In Reverse is amazing as well
11:56 AM on 11/21/12
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
User Info.
Retrospectively, I think most people generally define a "classic" album as one which seems to be a musical snapshot of culture at the time. Which suggests some people might call some albums "classic" even if they lack staying power. Some might argue records by Def Lepard were the perfect embodiment of the 80s mainstream rock sound, but you could also argue their discography is dated and lacks staying power as a result of some of the pillars of the genre in that decade.
This.

edit: but not only does a classic album represent a "snapshot" of the culture at the time, it also introduces something new to the table... not sure how to describe this... innovative?
12:18 PM on 11/21/12
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
You In Reverse is amazing as well

Omg. Just gonna listen to built to spill all day :)
12:20 PM on 11/21/12
Pugh758
Zach Pugh
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love the irony of a Pitchfork article calling people out for labeling albums instant-classics
12:25 PM on 11/21/12
Star Slight
User Info.
Don't listen to it if you don't want, but I bet you people will still be calling it a classic in 10 years... just my opinion

You people? Maybe people will, but less than a month after its out is a weird time to judge that
12:25 PM on 11/21/12
Star Slight
User Info.
I love the irony of a Pitchfork article calling people out for labeling albums instant-classics

The site has different writers
12:28 PM on 11/21/12
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
12:37 PM on 11/21/12
Born_For_This
Registered Member
User Info.
One that really sticks out is Kanye West's Late Registration. Absolute classic in my eyes.
As for the last few years, Bon Iver is the main one.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests