Holly HoX!
User Info.
are you going to address my serious posts or just that one

Not worth trying imo
02:48 PM on 11/21/12
Grohl
RATA
User Info.
It does a lot without actively trying. There isn't an overt attempt to make a classic. It came from something real at a certain period of time. It represents a generation while remaining timeless somehow.
02:52 PM on 11/21/12
Star Slight
User Info.
He said he didn't understand me so I clarified and he didn't respond. I'm used to it at this point
03:55 PM on 11/21/12
TheRxBandit
nope.avi
User Info.
Two mods on AP like my post! I'M FAMOUS.
04:00 PM on 11/21/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
I hadn't been aware that GKMC was being considered "classic". Except for Kanye's MBDTF, the last few years I haven't thought about any album in that context, my favorite albums just end up on my end of the year list. As GKMC probably will, probably in the #1 spot.

But I wouldn't say it's a classic, and pretty much whatever else I believe has already been stated very well by that Star Slight and Argentine post. Though I will back the side that says TCD, LR and MBDTF are classics.
About GKMC, you might be interested in reading this. Very relevant to this volatile topic.
It's an interesting review war/debate that I dipped into myself a couple of weeks ago under the username laralogic.
04:13 PM on 11/21/12
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i honestly feel unable to accurately answer this. I don't feel "mature" enough, if that makes sense. I feel like I am not done becoming my final self. Which is to say, the Blake answering this question is not the same person who would have answered it last year. Or next year. I don't know when that happens, or if I'm making it up in my head, but I think that I won't be able to say what is a classic album to me until I'm actually a mature adult. Like, it is hard for me to believe that 30 year old me will still like an album by a band like Park or Northstar. Those bands have classic albums to this version of me, but I'm not sure that will continue to be true. Like I say, that might be off-base, but that's how I feel now. So I guess what makes an album a classic, is me.
04:14 PM on 11/21/12
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
that being said, ive really enjoyed reading peoples' answers to this. great job everyone and happy thanksgiving!
06:04 PM on 11/21/12
yourbiggestflan
Wiw-yum Penn Eye-way!
User Info.
well said. Miles Davis's "Kind of Blue" would be the same for jazz i guess.

i think it just depends on the person too.

No band or artists will ever be determined classic by everyone. If we had to be generic and assume that though, we could say The Beates, but it's so debatable.
08:59 PM on 11/21/12
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
agreed. tbc is good, but not std's best. swya is thier best emo/pop-rock release. like you said though, this album is special. see you, nightingale. aygtf, freakish, firefly and exit still get daily spins. in reverie is thier best indie and i'm starting to really enjoy it, espeically the title track. sound the alarm i thought was strong but suffered from redundant themes. utb felt too drawn out, but can't stay the same/radio/ and get f--ked up are still solid. . daybreak was stronger but chris' voice really gets to me on the record and the lyrics fell too drawn out again at times.
One thing that makes me love Daybreak (3rd favorite) is that it is such a complete album and has such a strong theme. The title track (11 something minutes long) sets the stage for the album. Dark to Light. It tells the story of someone who has lost it all finding his way back to love and being reborn. When I talked to Chris after their tour last year they said the album is about rebirth and some of their favorite material they have ever written. I do see where people say he does get whiny but it fits in the context of the album and honestly is one of my go to albums when I have had a rough fight with my girlfriend. Daybreak may not end up being a classic to me but I love the feelings and emotion it embodies and while I like In Reverie and Stay What You Are more I think Daybreak is their most whole and complete work.
09:29 PM on 11/21/12
(. j)
User Info.
It seems people get the terms "classic" and "masterpiece" confused. A classic album can only be deemed so if it stands the test of time, whilst a masterpiece holds value at the current time.

Seeing how most people are using Kanye as an example, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is a masterpiece while College Dropout can be seen as a classic. With that being said, good kid, m.A.A.d city is definitely a masterpiece.
10:25 PM on 11/21/12
EatShit182
Misanthrope
User Info.
I don't think classic has ever been a really well defined word when it comes to music, how are you supposed to decide what does or doesn't make something a classic if the definition of classic varies from person to person, anyways? Silly article, if you ask me.
11:01 PM on 11/21/12
BobDylanismyman
OhShitIGotAHeadRush
User Info.
There are personal classics and universal classics. It's kind of a perspective thing...

Some universal that come to mind:

Dr. Dre "The Chronic"
Nirvana "Nevermind"
Metallica "Black Album"
Michael Jackson "Thriller"
Guns n Roses "Appetite"
Green Day "Dookie"
Def Leppard "Hysteria"
Led Zeppelin "2" and "4"
The Beatles "Sargent Peppers..."
Red Hot Chilli Peppers "Blood Sugar Sex"
Eminem "Marshal Mathers LP"
U2 "Joshua Tree"
ECT...

Personal classics could go on forever...starting with Glassjaw "Everything.." and Everytime I die "Hot Damn" and Neutral Milk Hotel "Aeroplane" and Refused "Shape"
03:04 AM on 11/22/12
CheckeredFloors
nah
User Info.
Star slight.
05:21 AM on 11/22/12
Memphis
Eight miles high and falling fast
User Info.
Don't know if anyone mentioned it already, but out of the albums from the past few years. I think The Suburbs is definitely a classic in both personal and general way. I haven't grown tired of it one bit, if anything, it's only getting better with time... The 59 Sound is another recent one.

My other personal classics include: Futures, The Weight Is a Gift, Illinoise, Sam's Town, Elephant, Disintegration, All Things Must Pass, A Hard Day's Night, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, Abbey Road... Among others. :)
10:40 AM on 11/22/12
Reece Wagner
Registered Member
User Info.
Third eye blind self titled. If you really listen-and actually listen, I believe no album moving forward will have enough backing from a label, or funds from elsewhere, to be produced like that. (16 guitar tracks on one song 'the background' with $50k worth of amps alone to modify sound).

Also most Zeppelin albums come to mind.
I back 3EB's self titled as a classic for sure, but where did you get that info? I don't doubt it but I've just never heard that before. 16 guitar tracks? Wow. I can't hear them.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests