Username
Password
AP.net Related News - Page 6
Displaying posts 75 - 90 of 248.
03:23 PM on 11/20/12
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
Okay time for a ton of quotes cuz I like this discussion.
You Forget It In People
Enter the 36 Chambers
TVU&N
Loveless
Nevermind
Funeral
CYHSY
Dookie
Straight Outta Compton
Ready to Die

Person Pitch
The Low End Theory
Yessss

I'd say this and Funeral would be the most recent examples of albums widely considered instant classics.

Everyone has a different opinion of which albums are classic anyway but for me it's the albums I can listen to on repeat and return to, and those which just blow my mind. Separation Sunday and The Moon and Antarctica are examples where, by the third listen, I could not believe how amazing they were.
Although my definition of a classic is different, I love this album.

My opinion of what makes an album "classic" is how it hits me. If it hits me the way it did as I first listened to it or if it hits me more than at first. My prime example for me is my favorite album "Discovery" by Daft Punk. That album will hit me the same way as when I die as when I first listened to it.
Yesssss x2

I think one thing that hasn't been addressed yet is influence. What did the album do for the rest of the genre going forward. Obviously an album being influential and an album being a classic aren't quite the same thing -- but if an album isn't special enough to inspire other musicians to perfect their own craft I'm not sure it can be a true "classic"
Agreed. Should've added that to my post as well.

In regards to Kanye, his classics are the first 2. MBDTF doesn't come close.
I'd say all 3 are.

Mbdtf is not a "classic" and ive asked why people call it one multiple times and everyones like oh. Everyone naming all their classic albums in here negates what the article said and just adds to the detrimental consumption of popular culture
I could tell you why MBDTF is a classic, Drew touched on it a bit below. If you do want to hear my thoughts of it we'll discuss it.

this is a fantastic debate and I'm excited for it to play out. For the record, I think all 3 of those records are classics, all 3 are so different and show how versatile West is. College Dropout is more a pure hip hop classic based on the production, the album's flow, and the lyrical content. Late Registration had more of Kanye tapping into that pop sound (not in the sense of something like Justin Beiber or the like, but in the fact he worked with Jon Brion on some it and whatnot; a lot of strings a lot of baroque influence, etc.). MBDTF is more of the man going deep inside his psyche, matching production with the content - being grandiose as well as vulnerable. It's like a rock opera, it's his The Wall or Sgt Pepper's, etc.

I personally rank MBDTF as tops, but I can see and understand the arguments made for his first two albums.
Agreed 100%.
Jason Tate
User Info.
I mean, as the article points out, even meek mill did it. Im arguing more about listeners calling things classics. Its tough to dissect the artists true motives and stuff

Most modern philosophy is that artistic intent doesn't matter in critical judgement.
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
User Info.
I read that Pitchfork article, and I completely agree. I can't understand why people listen to Kendrick's album and instantly call it a classic. More than half of these people will put this album out of their personal rotation in 6 months and possibly never return to it.

Certainly there is a difference between a personal classic and a generally acclaimed "classic" record. For example, a personal classic of mine will be Saves The Day's "Stay What You Are". While this record is considered a classic within the means of music listeners who seek out the emo/punk scene, for the majority of people, it's not. I'd say something like The College Dropout is on it's way to be a worldwide "classic". Has lasting value, tracks are still played by people all over the world to this very day.

I guess you really also have to consider the fact that our generation is far more saturated with music than the generations before us, which makes it harder to push through everything we personally enjoy and find the albums that are considered gems by society as a whole.
I think they listen to it and call it a classic because it has a lot of elements of other classic albums like some wordplay, flow and lyrics similar to a Nas or Common, storytelling like, again, Nas or Kanye West and social commentary.

It's probably out of line to automatically deem it a classic, but you can't also say that and make the sweeping statement that everyone is going to put it on the shelf in a year or so. It has all the makings of something really. Time will tell.
03:24 PM on 11/20/12
Star Slight
User Info.
I have no idea what you're saying.

Im on mobile and dont feel like fleshing it out right now. If you really care, everything that I am trying to say was discussed more eloquently in the kendrick thread by myself and argentine
03:25 PM on 11/20/12
saywhatever
User Info.
You shouldn't be trying to make a "classic". Make the best music you can sure, and if it has an impact then great. But you shouldn't go into anything thinking about making a "classic" cause more often than not you'll fail.
03:25 PM on 11/20/12
Star Slight
User Info.
Most modern philosophy is that artistic intent doesn't matter in critical judgement.

Which is why Im sorry i brought the artist into it. My point on the consumer still stands
03:29 PM on 11/20/12
Gaugzilla
User Info.
I mean, as the article points out, even meek mill did it. Im arguing more about listeners calling things classics. Its tough to dissect the artists true motives and stuff

True, but I don't necessarily consider the artist's motives when I like something. Chris Cornell jumbled a bunch of words together and made "Black Hole Sun" - that doesn't make me like it any less.

Originally Posted by Stephin_DC;115617532[B
]To me a classic is a record that completely shifts the musical climate of the time. Even if the record wasn't necessarily the first album to sound like that, it for some reason (in lots of occasions it is an individual song) was the first to garner wide spread attention and shift the majority of peoples musical taste in that direction (Eg Enema, Dookie, Nevermind).[/b]

I disagree that a classic album has to make a landmark statement. Kanye West's "808s and Heartbreak" ushered in the R&B that we hear today from The Weeknd, Frank Ocean and Miguel, but it's a very flawed album that proved R&B could be dark. MBDTF was a classic, in my opinion, and really didn't change much about hip-hop.
03:32 PM on 11/20/12
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
I will never understand why so many people consider ok computer to be the gold standard of a lot of music. I've tried listening to that cd but I just think it is really overrated and way too overhyped.

One cd that will always be a classic to me is jack's mannequin's everything in transit
lol
03:33 PM on 11/20/12
ranoa513
Been Here A While
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You shouldn't be trying to make a "classic". Make the best music you can sure, and if it has an impact then great. But you shouldn't go into anything thinking about making a "classic" cause more often than not you'll fail.
Why would you not strive for the best? Complacency is for losers. "It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we [...] have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory." -Bill Nicholson
03:34 PM on 11/20/12
Star Slight
User Info.
True, but I don't necessarily consider the artist's motives when I like something. Chris Cornell jumbled a bunch of words together and made "Black Hole Sun" - that doesn't make me like it any less.

I disagree that a classic album has to make a landmark statement. Kanye West's "808s and Heartbreak" ushered in the R&B that we hear today from The Weeknd, Frank Ocean and Miguel, but it's a very flawed album that proved R&B could be dark. MBDTF was a classic, in my opinion, and really didn't change much about hip-hop.

My main point for bringing the artist into it stemmed from the article touching on Meek. Ive followed the dude from his bootlegged franklin mills mall mixtapes. Dreams and nightmares is a good album but it isnt a Meek album. Thats not the rapper he was before he got famous and its not the rapper he was on dreamchasers 2. He tried to do something different, thats obvious, and the writer speculates that he was trying to make what he thought was a classic. Obviously no one can know for sure, but the idea of hip hop artists trying to make classics by changing their sound is scary

It all comes down to everyone trying to compare every hip hop album/artist to the classics. No one compares the new Menzingers album to the Clash or to Zeppelin. Hip hop is too young but also too diverse to be doing that, which is why i dont get down with classics talk
03:36 PM on 11/20/12
bobby runs
I dunno
User Info.
Before reading anything:

TIME
03:37 PM on 11/20/12
Gaugzilla
User Info.
My main point for bringing the artist into it stemmed from the article touching on Meek. Ive followed the dude from his bootlegged franklin mills mall mixtapes. Dreams and nightmares is a good album but it isnt a Meek album. Thats not the rapper he was before he got famous and its not the rapper he was on dreamchasers 2. He tried to do something different, thats obvious, and the writer speculates that he was trying to make what he thought was a classic. Obviously no one can know for sure, but the idea of hip hop artists trying to make classics by changing their sound is scary

It all comes down to everyone trying to compare every hip hop album/artist to the classics. No one compares the new Menzingers album to the Clash or to Zeppelin. Hip hop is too young but also too diverse to be doing that, which is why i dont get down with classics talk
Ah ok. I get what you're saying. Yea, I felt like that album was out of Meek's wheelhouse. But I blame that on Maybach Music. I'm one of those people that think they ruin everything.
03:38 PM on 11/20/12
Star Slight
User Info.
Ah ok. I get what you're saying. Yea, I felt like that album was out of Meek's wheelhouse. But I blame that on Maybach Music. I'm one of those people that think they ruin everything.

Ha, well that could be. I think meek was in his element/shined on MMG stuff though
03:38 PM on 11/20/12
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Do people think you can call an album a classic without liking it? I don't really like The Rolling Stones, but their influence is so vast that it can't be denied. Still doesn't mean I particularly like their music, but can I honestly say that Exile on Main Street or Let it Bleed is a classic album, despite the fact that I probably won't listen to that album again?

I guess you could use the Finch and Underoath examples like Drew did, but I'd be extremely reluctant to call those albums classics.
yeah, I'd say so. There's a ton of albums I don't personally enjoy that I'd consider classics.
03:39 PM on 11/20/12
saywhatever
User Info.
Why would you not strive for the best? Complacency is for losers. "It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we [...] have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory." -Bill Nicholson
I just said strive for the best. But going in saying "this will be a classic" is stupid.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests