AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Ross, Danny - Introducing Danny Ross! Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 7.25
Production 8
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 81%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Ross, Danny - Introducing Danny Ross!

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (02/11/08)
Danny Ross - Introducing Danny Ross!
Record Label: None
Release Date: May 2007

New York City pianist Danny Ross brings a lot to the table on his debut EP Introducing Danny Ross! Stylistically, Ross is something of a lounge jazz singer - his high reedy voice and his effortless piano playing lend themselves to that. After studying jazz piano at London’s Goldsmith College, Ross enrolled at Cornell University where his senior thesis, an opus about adulthood and adolescence entitled One Way was marked by the Cornell Daily Sun as a “masterpiece” and an “album for an era.” Graduating summa cum laude, Ross began working for Congressman Jerrold Nadler as a staffer, a job he still maintains to this day.

At twenty two, Ross is ever so lucky. Armed with a wealth of piano pop sensibilities he is poised to make his name on the New York City music scene. Whereas Ben Folds always seemed to segue into a literary, quirky, indie direction Ross goes more mainstream. Think Top 40 radio with a splash of classical piano, and lounge-singer soul. He seems to bridge the gap between Ben Jelen and Gavin DeGraw quite nicely and, considering the success of those two, I’d be surprised if Ross doesn’t make a splash soon. Certainly he possesses Ben Folds' manic energy, piano prowess, and knack for strong melody, but the comparisons end there. One reviewer has compared him to The Beatles, and while I think that’s a bit grandiose, the similarities are there. For the past few months I’ve been trying to pin down his vocals and compare them to someone and I can’t think of anyone. On stage his songs possess a real Elton John, Billy Joel sensibility, which is the cream of the crop when it come to piano rock.. With movie star good looks and a growing buzz in the MySpace world I expect big things from his next release.

LinksWebsite | MySpace

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
12:00 AM on 02/20/08
Adrian Villagomez
The Sword the Anvil the Stone
User Info.
"Three months ago, I was nowhere. I was just a Cornell grad, in anger management. Look where I am now. Not bad."

But seriously, the introduction really grabbed my attention.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests