Password

Album Review

Underoath - Anthology (1999 - 2013) Album Cover

Underoath - Anthology (1999 - 2013)

Reviewed by
UnderoathAnthology (1999 – 2013)
Record Label: Tooth and Nail / Solid State Records
Release Date: November 6th, 2012
A few months ago, Florida post-hardcore / metalcore band Underoath announced their breakup; it was quite devastating, but a part of me wasn’t too surprised. I wasn’t surprised, because they haven’t been doing a lot since last album Disambiguation was released in 2010. That album showed the band moving into a whole different direction, especially with vocalist Spencer Chamberlain taking the clean vocal duties from ex-drummer / clean vocalist Aaron Gillespie, who left in early 2010 to focus on his other band, The Almost. They enlisted help from ex-Norma Jean drummer Daniel Davison, and got to work on Disambiguation; it was quite different from what the band has put out before, but was still a great album. After their breakup, however, they released a pair of new songs that even further expanded upon the ambient / experimental sound they were going for. These songs found their way to the band’s final “album,” 2012’s Anthology (1999 – 2013), named for the 15 years they’ve been together as a band. Aside from the two new songs, songs from every album are included; in terms of greatest hits album, this really delivers, and includes Underoath’s biggest “hits.” As with every greatest hits album, too, every single song they’ve put out can’t be on the album, so while I wish there were certain songs on the album, every song is worth listening to, nonetheless.

The first thing I noticed while listening to this was that the album starts with the two new songs, and keeps going backwards in time, essentially. Tracks 3 – 5 are from 2010’s Disambiguation, tracks 6 and 7 are from 2008’s Lost In the Sound of Separation, tracks 8 – 10 are from 2006’s Define the Great Line, tracks 11 – 14 are from 2004’s They’re Only Chasing Safety, track 15 is from 2002’s The Changing Of Times, track 16 is from 2000’s Cries of the Past, and track 17 is from 1999’s Act of Depression. Basically, the songs get “older” as the album goes on, which is a nice concept. The two new songs are also a great addition as well. The first song is called “Sunburnt,” and it starts off with a very cool synth riff from Chris Dudley before Spencer Chamberlain’s vocals kick in. His scream is the best scream I’ve ever heard, honestly. His clean vocals appear around a minute in, and I’m glad they didn’t find another clean vocalist after Gillespie left, because his cleans are great, too. The verses have a very cool distortion effect on Chamberlain’s voice, and it sounds really cool. These songs do expand on the sound that Disambiguation left off on. Ambience and experimentation are quite prevalent on these two songs, and I really like them. “Sunburnt,” however, doesn’t feature Chamberlain’s screams, but it does do a good job at showing his clean vocals. I mentioned how much I enjoy them, and I really do – they just have that unique sound to them, and they really fit with the music. It was rather difficult to accept that Gillespie had left, but with Disambiguation, Chamberlain proved he could hold his own. Next track “Unsound” is my favorite of the two tracks, despite both of them being absolutely fantastic. It begins with an ambient guitar riff from Timothy MacTague and Chamberlain’s clean vocals. Out of the two tracks, this one is much more experimental. Either way, they both set the stage for the rest of the greatest hits album.

As I mentioned earlier, there are two to four songs from every Underoath album (minus their first three), so every album does get a voice, essentially. Regardless of which Underoath album is your favorite, this compilation does them all justice. Fortunately, enough, most of my favorite songs are represented on this record. The only song that I wish was on here was “Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape,” which is from 2004’s They’re Only Chasing Safety. What I find rather odd, though, is the track “I’ve Got Ten Friends and a Crow Bar That Says You Ain’t Gonna Do Jack” appears, but that’s on the special edition of the album. It’s a great track, and one of their most popular, but nonetheless, it’s rather odd that’s on here.

The most interesting thing about this album is that early tracks from the band’s first few albums are on it; it’s not strange that cuts from older records on here, but what’s strange is how different Underoath’s sound used to be. Original vocalist Dallas Taylor has a much different scream from Spencer Chamberlain, and the band used to be death metal/deathcore, surprisingly. It’s so polarizing, but it’s quite interesting to listen to. Regardless, most of the album does feature Chamberlain on screams (and for the first few songs, lead vocals), and he (along with Aaron Gillespie) take the reigns so to speak.

Basically, this is a great compilation album; if you’re new to the band, this is a great place to start, because you can get the gist of every album, and every “sound” each album has. It’s quite nice. While the band has broken up (well, will be broken in next year), this is still a nice place to start. Even if you’re a big fan of Underoath, this is also a great album to pick up as well.

Recommended If You LikeIf you already like Underoath, you’ll certainly want to pick this up.

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Sunburnt
2. Unsound
3. In Division
4. Catch Myself Catching Myself
5. Paper Lung
6. Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures
7. Too Bright to See, Too Loud to Hear
8. In Regards to Myself
9. You’re Ever So Inviting
10. Writing On the Walls
11. A Brushed Red Living In Black and White
12. Reinventing Your Exit
13. It’s Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door
14. I’ve Got Ten Friends and A Crowbar That Says You Ain’t Gonna Do Jack
15. When the Sun Sleeps
16. Cries of the Past
17. Heart of Stone

Underoath* is:
Spencer Chamberlain – lead vocals, guitar
Christopher Dudley – keyboards, synth, samplers, programming
Timothy MacTague – lead guitar, backing vocals
Grant Brandell – bass guitar
James Smith – rhythm guitar
Daniel Davison - drums

*This is the current lineup of the band before breakup.

www.facebook.com/underoath
This review is a user submitted review from justbradley. You can see all of justbradley's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
10:00 AM on 12/01/12
Your Milkshake
...I drink it
User Info.
Your description of "Sunburnt" is inconsistent. Also, if this is just a compilation with only 2 new tracks, how is it so definitely worth it for everyone who already listens to Underoath to pick this up?
04:35 PM on 12/03/12
Reece Wagner
Registered Member
User Info.
I wish I got the dealio with this band. Obviously in metalcore circles or whatever they were huge, but "Reinventing Your Exit" is the only track by them I can ever listen to all the way through. That song kills though.
09:50 PM on 12/03/12
justbradley
User Info.
Your description of "Sunburnt" is inconsistent. Also, if this is just a compilation with only 2 new tracks, how is it so definitely worth it for everyone who already listens to Underoath to pick this up?
It's worth picking up because it features a lot of fan-favorite tracks. If you're a fan, why wouldn't you pick this up? Shouldn't that be obvious?
05:19 PM on 12/04/12
Your Milkshake
...I drink it
User Info.
It's worth picking up because it features a lot of fan-favorite tracks. If you're a fan, why wouldn't you pick this up? Shouldn't that be obvious?

No disrespect, I just reckon if one is already a fan then they may already have all the tracks except for the two new ones...Surely that makes since.
06:04 PM on 12/04/12
justbradley
User Info.
No disrespect, I just reckon if one is already a fan then they may already have all the tracks except for the two new ones...Surely that makes since.
I mean, I do see your point, but I didn't buy it only for the two tracks. The main reason I got it was because if I wanted to listen to Underoath, but wasn't in the mood for a specific album, I could listen to this. If you're a [b]huge[b] fans, it would make more sense to really want this, but a casual fan most likely wouldn't buy this. By "casual," I mean someone who likes them, and has their records, but doesn't really, really, really like them.
08:37 PM on 12/06/12
GCPeppe
User Info.
I ged sad when people call these big label bands post-hardcore...
06:33 PM on 12/16/12
AndwooLee
User Info.
does being on a bigger label mean you're a particular genre? not like the post-hardcore tag is meant for no name bands.
11:23 PM on 12/23/12
SparkBoy85
StefawnPeepees
User Info.
I'm gonna have to pick this up. I was lucky and was able to see this band right before Aaron left to focus on The Almost.
10:48 AM on 12/26/12
PureBlueSF
ur not even pop punk
User Info.
Sunburnt and Unsound are great songs.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT