AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Marietta / Modern Baseball - Couples Therapy Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 81%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Marietta / Modern Baseball - Couples Therapy

Reviewed by: justbradley (11/30/12)
Marietta / Modern BaseballCouples Therapy
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: May 10th, 2012

Split EPs have always been a very nice way for bands to get music out quickly, but also get exposure by pairing with another band (or even bands, in some cases). Last year, I listened to a brilliant split EP with pop-punk bands Such Gold and A Loss for Words. Both bands are of the same genre, but still rather different, nonetheless. That’s why I liked the split so much – Such Gold are more “hardcore” laced pop-punk, while A Loss for Words are a bit more pop than punk. Despite that, the split was great, because I love both bands. Fast forward to 2012, and I’ve had the chance to review another split EP by a pair of indie / “emo” bands, Pennsylvania’s Marietta and Maryland’s Modern Baseball. Both of these bands are rather unknown, but I’m surprised they are; this a cool split EP, because of the same reason that I enjoyed Such Gold’s and A Loss for Words’ split EP – both bands were similar, but still different. And being new to both of these bands, I really like this because I can discover two bands with one EP.

The first two songs on the EP are by PA indie/pop-punk band Marietta, and both of these songs are really, well, interesting. I had never listened to this band in my life, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. I certainly wasn’t disappointed, but just rather surprised. They’re not the best band I’ve ever listened to, either. I was quite impressed with their overall sound, though; it was definitely something really cool, but their vocalist didn’t stick out to me. For some reason, I look for a great vocalist and lyrics more than anything, and if a band doesn’t have both or either of those things to me, I can’t really get into them. As a writer myself, that’s what I blame the importance on vocals/lyrics to. Regardless, I like this band’s vocals, but just not as much as I was expecting to. They’re not terrible, but they don’t really change much, despite some screams here and there. Those I like, because they were scarce. Both songs are good, and I am quite interested to listen to this band more. The second band is Modern Baseball, and this band sounds rather similar, yet still different. They have more of an indie sound and I really enjoyed both of their songs on here. The main thing I like about this band are their lyrics – they remind me of Justin Pierre’s lyrics from Motion City Soundtrack. I love Pierre’s lyrics, because they’re so clever and sound like a conversation, essentially.

Basically, this is just a nice little 13-minute EP that introduces two bands you may or may not have heard of before. It’s also for free download on either band’s Bandcamp and Facebook pages, so it’s easily worth a listen. You can’t go wrong with free music, right?

Recommended If You LikeThe Gaslight Anthem, Motion City Soundtrack, Further Seems Forever, Dashboard Confessional, Jimmy Eat World, etc, etc.

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Yeah Yeah Utah (Marietta)
2. Green Call Her Sims (Marietta)
3. Hope (Modern Baseball)
4. It’s Cold Out Here (Modern Baseball)

Marietta is:
Evan
Andrew
Ethan
Ben

Modern Baseball is:
Brendan Lukens
Jacob Ewald
Ian Farmer
Sean Huber

www.facebook.com/whereismarietta

www.facebook.com/modernbaseball

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8.
02:04 PM on 12/01/12
Kelly Doherty
@_kellydoherty for the lolz
User Info.
I really enjoyed this split. Definitely a highlight of the year.
12:16 AM on 12/06/12
justbradley
User Info.
I really enjoyed this split. Definitely a highlight of the year.
This split really took me by surprise, because I'm surprised I had never listened to either band much sooner.
10:46 AM on 12/06/12
Kelly Doherty
User Info.
This split really took me by surprise, because I'm surprised I had never listened to either band much sooner.
I could see Modern Baseball getting pretty big if they get enough coverage. Their new release Sports is absolutely stellar.
11:02 AM on 12/06/12
justbradley
User Info.
I could see Modern Baseball getting pretty big if they get enough coverage. Their new release Sports is absolutely stellar.
Didn't it just come out recently? I want to listen to that. These two songs from the split were pretty awesome, and if anything, this split made me want to get into these bands more.
11:04 AM on 12/06/12
Kelly Doherty
User Info.
Didn't it just come out recently? I want to listen to that. These two songs from the split were pretty awesome, and if anything, this split made me want to get into these bands more.
I'll be posting a review of it soon, so keep an eye out. So many great small bands in this genre at the moment.
11:53 PM on 12/08/12
justbradley
User Info.
I'll be posting a review of it soon, so keep an eye out. So many great small bands in this genre at the moment.
I'd love to see that review, actually, because I'm really tempted to check it out.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS