Username
Password

06:35 PM on 02/14/08 
User Info.
aminorthreat55
Bunuelito!
Baltimore, Maryland
Male
Seeing as how we have so many cineastes on here these days, I figured I would go ahead and make a thread for the greatest film distribution collaboration around.

Also, I'll post the new releases and awesome sales going on in this thread when they are announced.

May:

http://www.criterion.com/films/980

http://www.criterion.com/films/23953

http://www.criterion.com/films/522

http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/720

Close-up - Spine 519

Internationally revered Iranian filmmaker Abbas Kiarostami has created some of the most inventive and transcendent cinema of the past thirty years, and Close-up is his most radical, brilliant work. This fiction-documentary hybrid uses a sensational real-life event—the arrest of a young man on charges that he fraudulently impersonated well-known filmmaker Mohsen Makhmalbaf—as the basis for a stunning, multilayered investigation into movies, identity, artistic creation, and existence, in which the real people from the case play themselves. With its universal themes and fascinating narrative knots, Close-up continues to resonate with viewers around the world.

Disc Features

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DVD SET

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer
* Audio commentary by Mehrnaz Saeed-Vafa and Jonathan Rosenbaum, authors of Abbas Kiarostami
* The Traveler, a notable early feature by director Abbas Kiarostami
* “Close-up” Long Shot, a forty-five-minute documentary on Close-up’s central figure, Hossein Sabzian, five years after Kiarostami’s film
* A Walk with Kiarostami (2003), a thirty-two-minute documentary portrait of the director by Iranian film professor Jamsheed Akram
* New video interview with Kiarostami
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Godfrey Cheshire

Everlasting Moments - Spine 520

Swedish master Jan Troell, director of the beloved classics The Emigrants and The New Land, returns triumphantly with Everlasting Moments, a vivid, heartrending story of a woman liberated through art at the beginning of the twentieth century. Though poor and abused by her alcoholic husband, Maria Larsson (Maria Heiskanen, in a beautifully nuanced portrayal) finds an outlet in photography, which opens up her world for the first time. With a burnished bronze tint that evokes faded photographs, and a broad empathetic palette, Everlasting Moments—based on a true story—is a miraculous tribute to the power of image making.

Disc Features

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DVD SET

* New high-definition digital transfer, approved by director Jan Troell
* Jan Troell’s Magic Mirror, an hour-long documentary about Troell’s life and career
* Short documentary on the making of Everlasting Moments, featuring interviews with Troell, cast,
and crew
* Documentary featuring photographs by the real Maria Larsson, accompanied by narration telling her story
* Theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Armond White

Night Train to Munich - Spine 523

A twisting, turning, cloak-and-dagger delight, Night Train to Munich is a gripping, occasionally comic confection from writers Frank Launder and Sidney Gilliat and director Carol Reed. Paced like an out-of-control locomotive, Night Train takes viewers on a World War II–era journey from Prague to England to the Swiss Alps, as Nazis pursue a Czech scientist and his daughter (Margaret Lockwood), who are being aided by a debonair British undercover agent, played by Rex Harrison. This captivating, long-overlooked adventure—which also features Paul Henreid—mixes comedy, romance, and thrills with enough skill and cleverness to give the master of suspense himself pause.

Disc Features

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer
* New video conversation between film scholars Peter Evans and Bruce Babington about director Carol Reed, screenwriters Frank Launder and Sidney Gilliat, and the social and political climate
in which Night Train to Munich was made
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Philip Kemp

June releases:

June:

August:

Wow, so they're going to punish us by not releasing TTRL in August because someone else let it slip? oi.

BR releases are meh. But we get early Kurosawa on DVD.

06:37 PM on 02/14/08 
User Info.
aminorthreat55
Bunuelito!
Baltimore, Maryland
Male
Personally I can't wait for Pierrot le fou (Godard) and The Last Emperor (Bertolucci) to be released on Tuesday.
08:21 AM on 02/15/08 
User Info.
ThexQuietxCull
One ticket, please
Raleigh, NC
Male - 27 Years Old
The Last Emperor is of interest to me as well. that and the Ozu films coming on Eclipse 10
11:45 PM on 02/22/08 
User Info.
aminorthreat55
Bunuelito!
Baltimore, Maryland
Male
May:
The Lovers (Louis Malle, 1958)

The Fire Within (Louis Malle, 1963)

The Thief of Baghdad (Michael Powell, et al., 1940)
12:10 AM on 02/23/08 
User Info.
Nyquist Theorem
Love leaves scars.
Farmington Hills, MI
Male - 28 Years Old
Ang Lee's The Ice Storm is going in there? I didn't know that. Interesting. The Last Emperor is also of interest to me as well as The Red Balloon.
05:03 PM on 02/25/08 
User Info.
Ravenna
flinching
just picked up Brazil. even though the dvd features are pretty much nil, its still worth the $
06:35 PM on 02/25/08 
User Info.
aminorthreat55
Bunuelito!
Baltimore, Maryland
Male
just picked up Brazil. even though the dvd features are pretty much nil, its still worth the $
Totally. Plus the three-disc special edition is a little unnecessary.
07:02 PM on 02/25/08 
User Info.
Ravenna
flinching
I didn't even know a three disc edition existed. Is it still released through Criterion?
07:11 PM on 02/25/08 
User Info.
aminorthreat55
Bunuelito!
Baltimore, Maryland
Male
I didn't even know a three disc edition existed. Is it still released through Criterion?
Yeah. I've never seen the Love Conquers All version but I imagine and have heard from multiple people that it is stupid and not worth the additional $20.
07:14 PM on 02/25/08 
User Info.
Ravenna
flinching
yeah no doubt. no true satire can end with a happy ending anyway.
07:34 PM on 02/25/08 
User Info.
aminorthreat55
Bunuelito!
Baltimore, Maryland
Male
Besides, the single-disc has a better transfer than the three-disc (anamorphic).
08:54 PM on 02/25/08 
User Info.
reductiondesign
////////
Phoenix, AZ
Male - 25 Years Old
I'm excited for The Ice Storm and the Klein Eclipse set.

I'll be waiting for the Criterion release of White Mane and Red Balloon.

PS: This is a wonderful thread.
10:06 PM on 02/25/08 
User Info.
aminorthreat55
Bunuelito!
Baltimore, Maryland
Male
I'm excited for The Ice Storm and the Klein Eclipse set.

I'll be waiting for the Criterion release of White Mane and Red Balloon.

PS: This is a wonderful thread.
I'm really excited for the Klein box too. I've already seen Polly Maggoo (it was average) but I'm really interested in the other two which look much more, ahem, delirious.

As for the kids movies, I'm not sure what I'm going to do about those. I don't really feel like I need the Criterion version and I sort of feel like buying the three cheapies and then giving them to my firstborn (whenever that happens) at the appropriate age.

Also, I forget whether you're a Bunuel fan or not but they accidentally put up formatting for a Five French Films of Luis Bunuel boxset the other day and then hastily took it down; so be on the lookout for that.
10:40 AM on 02/26/08 
User Info.
IAmNietzche
creepy Rob Lowe
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 28 Years Old
I hated Pierrot le Fout.

Weird I guess since Vivre sa Vie is one of my favorite films. Pierrot le fout was just abysmal though.

Blast of Silence is in my top 25 so I can't wait for that.
11:17 AM on 02/26/08 
User Info.
-Aaron-
^_^
Chicago mane.
Male - 27 Years Old
I'm picking up Last Emperor today after class. I picked up the Fanny and Alexander Box Set recently which has a billion special features including the TV series. I've been buying a bunch of French new Wave films too, mainly Godard and Truffaut.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos