AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Article
« Back to Articles

Keagan Ilvonen

Written by: Keagan Ilvonen (12/03/12)

So 2012 has been a good year for music, but then again, what year hasn't? I can't think of a year where there WASN'T an overabundance of great music released. If you can't find something to look forward to or something that you enjoy, you probably appreciate the smallest amount of music. With that being said, I got to listen to a lot more music this year compared to last year and I've had the time to compile my lists. Everything is interactive, live with links to profiles, albums, playlists and more. So if you haven't heard, seen or know anything in my list, you should when you're done. If not, you're just lazy. Hopefully everyone had a good 2012 and here's to 2013 being a greater adventure.

Best Albums of 2012:
1.Grizzly Bear - Shields
Once again, Grizzly Bear releases my favorite album. They did it back in 2009 with Veckatimest which was basically the soundtrack to my life. This year they've released an album that mixes the best of their past two efforts creating a whole different type of beast. If you love anything that the band's produced in their young careers, you won't be disappointed.

2.Kendrick Lamar - good kid, M.A.A.d city
The highly anticipated major label debut from Kendrick Lamar was one of the most hyped hip hop releases I can ever recall. Luckily for us, it lived up to everything it was supposed to be. Kendrick's unique style of story telling goes untouched right now. He's simply the best in the game at the moment and he doesn't show any signs of slowing.

3.Miguel - Kaleidoscope Dream
Miguel has been on my radar for awhile but I wasn't completely sold until I heard Kaleidoscope Dream. If R&B is going to make a comeback in the mainstream, Miguel needs to be the front runner. With his hit single "Adorn" doing well with top 40, he seems to be on his way.

4.Frank Ocean - channel ORANGE
I'm probably the only one who has Miguel ahead of Frank Ocean on their list but that's okay. I LOVE channel ORANGE, but something just doesn't completely click. Their are a handful of classic tracks on this album that will be listened to until the end of time, but cohesively the album didn't have that punch. With that being said, it's still one of the best albums released this year. If you still haven't heard Frank, stop living under a fucking rock.

5.Japandroids - Celebration Rock
I didn't think Japandroids could get even better but they did. Back in 2009 I felt like I was one of the few people championing the band and now with Celebration Rock I feel like they are becoming a favorite. The new album is catchier, heavier and more in your face and I wouldn't have it any other way.

6.Nas - Life is Good
Nas has always been hit or miss with me. Yes, he's one of the best rappers of all time. Yes, he's released one of the most iconic rap albums ever in Illmatic. But aside from select tracks and portions of albums, he hasn't always seemed to live up to the praise to me. That all ended with Life is Good which is arguably just as good as Illmatic and may be even better in my eyes. The lyrics, production, themes and emotion on this album are chilling. If Kendrick hadn't released an album this year, this would have easily been the best hip-hop album of the year.

7.Jens Lekman - I Know What Love Isn't
Jens hasn't released a full album in 5 years so the anticipation for this was pretty high. It delivers, just as I knew it would. Soothing, emotional and heartfelt like only Jens knows how to do. Lets hope that it doesn't take another 5 years to get another full length, this wait was long enough.

8.John Mayer - Born and Raised
John Mayer has been one of the most influential artists on me in every way. Even though Continuum is still my favorite album from John, Born and Raised is pretty damn good. Instead of crafting radio ready hits or soul searching jams, John put out a down to earth folk album, going back to his roots. The way I look at it, any John Mayer is good in my book.

9.Fun. - Some Nights
The feel good story of the year is easily Fun. With The Format being one of my all time favorite bands, I have always championed anything Nate and Sam have done with all of my heart. While I would have liked a nice mix of the new album and Aim & Ignite, I'm completely fine with how Some Nights turned out. Absolutely dominating the charts with "We Are Young" and "Some Nights", performing a sold out world tour, performing on SNL, headlining Radio City Music Hall, nominated for 7 Grammy's and that's just the beginning. I couldn't be happier for a nicer group of guys who made music they wanted to make, doing it their way after struggling for years. I could go on and on because I feel like a proud parent, but seriously, the boys knocked it out of the park with this one.

10.The Shins - Port Of Morrow
This album came out super early in the year, was played just about every day by me and then I forgot about it after a few months. I just rediscovered it not too long ago and fell back in love with it. It's everything you know and love about The Shins and delivers in the way that Broken Bells couldn't.

Albums of The Year 11-3011. Tame Impala - Lonerism
12. Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
13. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - The Heist
14. From Indian Lakes - Able Bodies
15. Gary Clark Jr - Blak and Blu
16. Purity Ring - Shrines
17. The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten
18. Make Do and Mend - Everything You Ever Loves
19. The xx - Coexist
20. Passion Pit - Gossamer
21. Sleigh Bells - Reign of Terror
22. Caspian - Waking Season
23. Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind
24. Dads - American Radass (this is important)
25. Grimes - Visions
26. How To Dress Well - Total Loss
27. Deftones - Koi No Yokan
28. Titus Andronicus - Local Business
29. Hostage Calm - Please Remain Calm
30. Big Boi - Vicious Lies & Dangerous Rumors

Best Songs of 2012Best Songs of 2012

Best EPs of 2012Best EPs of 2012:
State Champs - Overslept
The Antlers - Undersea
Three Loco - Three Loco EP
Sky Ferreira - Ghost EP
Diplo - Express Yourself EP
The 1975 - The Sex EP

Best Mixtapes of 2012Best Mixtapes of 2012:
Joey Bada$$ - 1999
Mickey Factz - Mickey MauSe
Action Bronson + The Alchemist - Rare Chandeliers
Action Bronson - Blue Chips
Rick Ross - The Black Bar Mitzvah
Jeremih - Late Nights With Jeremih
Big Sean - Detroit
Meek Mill - Dreamchasers 2
Big K.R.I.T. - 4 eva N A Day
Childish Gambino - Royalty

Best Music Video of 2012Killer Mike - "Reagan"

Best Record Labels of 2012Best Record Labels of 2012:
1. Pure Noise Records
2. Mad Decent
3. Rise Records
4. Triple Crown Records
5. Polyvinyl Records

Best TV Shows of 2012Best TV Shows of 2012:
1. Breaking Bad
2. Homeland
3. Parks and Recreation
4. Suits
5. Shameless
6. Game of Thrones
7. Californication
8. Boardwalk Empire
9. Mad Men
10. The League
11. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
12. Louie
13. Dexter
14. Modern Family
15. New Girl

Best Movies of 2012Best Movies of 2012:
1. The Dark Knight Rises
2. Safety Not Guaranteed
3. Ruby Sparks
4. Looper
5. The Avengers
6. Ted
7. The Amazing Spiderman
8. Moonrise Kingdom
9. Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie
10. The Cabin in The Woods

Best Podcasts of 2012Best Podcasts of 2012:
1. The Adam Carolla Show
2. WTF with Marc Maron
3. The Nerdist
4. Jay and Silent Bob Get Old
5. NPR: All Songs Considered

Best Apps of 2012Best Apps of 2012:
1. Voxer
2. Catch
3. Pocket
4. Google Chrome
5. Rdio

Best Magazines of 2012Best Magazines of 2012:
1. GQ
2. Men's Health
3. Esquire
4. Maxim
5. Paste

Band of The YearBand of The Year:
Fun.

SeriouslyWhat else is there to be said that I didn't say up top? I've followed Nate since before I was in high school and I have backed everything the man has done till this day. I didn't get into Steel Train and Anthallo until high school, but when I did, I was hooked. Even having the chance to meet the guys way back in the day was overwhelming. This is the story we all look for. This is the dream every kid has when they take that first step into the scene, they just lack the heart. These guys preserved through so many years of giving it their all and getting hardly anything back. But that never stopped them. That drove them to strive for more and look at where they are now. First I had Fall Out Boy to be proud of, now I have Fun. And honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way. I can't think of more talented, more caring and just outright great people for this to happen to. While some fans may have jumped off the wagon because of the popularity, I stand strong with a firm grip. I can't wait to see how far the guys can take this success, but I only wish them the best.

Most Anticipated Albums of 2013Most Anticipated Albums of 2013:
Kanye West, Drake, A$AP Rocky, Jimmy Eat World, State Champs, Local Natives, Vampire Weekend, Brand New?, The National, Sufjan Stevens, The Story So Far, Fireworks, Transit, Washed Out, Maniac, Letlive., Mansions, Chiodos, Taking Back Sunday, Paramore, Frank Turner, Daft Punk, Childish Gambino, Big Sean, Major Lazer, Joey Bada$$, Cloud Nothings, Queens of The Stone Age, FIDLAR, Jamie Lidell, Mayer Hawthorne and Phoenix

Breakout Band/Artist of 2013Breakout Band/Artist of 2013:
State Champs
Miguel

Thank You's and ShoutoutsI wanna take a second to say thanks and give a couple shout outs to everyone who has made 2012 another awesome year in music. Without you all this music business would be a drag. The AbsoluteVoices Family, Pep Talk Media, Big Picture Media, Mike Cubillos, Jon Lally, Biz 3, Brandon Chamberlain and Gyspy Fade, Dave Carlson, Jason Consoli, Heathcliff Berru and The Life or Death PR group, Another Reybee Production, Hopeless Records, Pure Noise Records, Rise Records, Mad Decent, Topshelf Records, Working Group MGMT, Big Hassle, Mom + Pop Records, Johnny Minardi, Fueled By Ramen, Sargent House Records, Solid PR, Beartrap PR, Jeff Menig, Reid McMullian, Polyvinyl Records, Nano Tissera, Absolute MGMT, Glamour Kills, Joe Aldulaimi and Eric Jones, Enjoy The Ride Records, LAB Records, Paper + Plastick, SideOneDummy, Run For Cover Records and so many more.

So click these down below and hit me up!

VitalsEmail- Facebook - Twitter - LinkedIn - last.fm

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 129
12:49 AM on 12/16/12
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
I rock.
01:11 PM on 12/19/12
Lueda Alia
User Info.
01:12 PM on 12/19/12
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
07:52 AM on 01/01/13
RonStoppable
yeezy season approachin
User Info.
Agreed on Miguel and Frank Ocean completely. Great list!
08:27 AM on 01/01/13
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
Some Killer Mike love, nice to see.
08:34 AM on 01/01/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
ya
08:45 AM on 01/01/13
agl
User Info.
Much respect for listing Pure Noise as your number 1 label of the year. They are championing some fantastic up and coming talent, and were one of my favorite finds of 2012 musically.
11:26 AM on 01/01/13
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
could be the best list
02:10 PM on 01/01/13
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Nice to see someone showing Top 10 love for Nas. Definitely can't in good conscience say it touches Illmatic though.
02:16 PM on 01/01/13
the seventeenth
level 71 community member
User Info.
Good couple of lists. Only thing I really disagree with is the top five Podcasts. Not that any of them are all that bad, but there are a few, albeit a little less professional, Podcasts you might enjoy just as much as those others (like me). Try Bill Burr's, or maybe even Robert Kelly's You Know What Dude?! (assuming you haven't listened to them yet, or they aren't just lower on your list). They can get pretty hilarous. Also, I'm not telling you my taste in Podcasts is better, so don't take any offense; I just thought it wouldn't hurt to share some of my favorites with you.
02:37 PM on 01/01/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Good couple of lists. Only thing I really disagree with is the top five Podcasts. Not that any of them are all that bad, but there are a few, albeit a little less professional, Podcasts you might enjoy just as much as those others (like me). Try Bill Burr's, or maybe even Robert Kelly's You Know What Dude?! (assuming you haven't listened to them yet, or they aren't just lower on your list). They can get pretty hilarous. Also, I'm not telling you my taste in Podcasts is better, so don't take any offense; I just thought it wouldn't hurt to share some of my favorites with you.

I'm a big fan of Bill's stand up, I just never gave his podcast a shot. I'll check it out along with Robert Kelly, thanks for the rec!
02:38 PM on 01/01/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
could be the best list

<3xoxoxo
02:38 PM on 01/01/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Agreed on Miguel and Frank Ocean completely. Great list!

I was upset Miguel didn't even make the staff top 30 :/
02:40 PM on 01/01/13
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
giving miguel and grizzly bear the love they deserve yeah how am i not going to love this list
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version