AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Article
« Back to Articles

Kelly Doherty

Written by: Kelly Doherty (12/03/12)
The part where I talk too muchHello folks! 2012 has been a crazy year in all things related to music. The abundance of amazing albums released this year made the list below an extremely difficult task considering the quality of the music put out over the past twelve months. Whilst certain genres may not have had the best of years, it certainly was the year of the emo band, with labels like Count Your Lucky Stars and Topshelf Records putting out some of my favourite releases from the genre in the past decade or so. Bands such as Modern Baseball, Annabel and Empire! Empire! (I Was A Lonely Estate) are establishing themselves as big guns in the future and it's becoming impossible to ignore this until recently, relatively contained scene. One of the best things about this resurgence, unlike the pop punk revival a couple of years back, it's not just the main figures being innovative or bringing something new to the table, it's every band putting their own refreshing twist on the genre and no one trying to make a quick buck off the scene, and with the first couple of weeks of the New Year bringing the release of Brave Bird's debut album and a release from Tiny Moving Parts, it appears that this is only the start.

That's not to say the rest of the music scene was in a barren state. Although one of the quieter years in recent times for pop punk, excellent releases from Pentimento and Undesirable People ensured that there is a younger generation of pop punkers ready to keep the genre alive, without falling into the either/or trap of re-creating the early 2000s or wandering in to metalcore territory. Post-hardcore had a battle on its hands considering the fact that 2011 held releases such as Endless Days And Sleepless Nights and Wildlife, however, as with pop punk, the younger, smaller bands this year have been extremely exciting with both Gatherer and Old Gray being bands that EVERYONE should check out as these guys are going to explode. On the more indie side of the spectrum, spectacular releases from the likes of Grizzly Bear, Wild Nothing, The Mountain Goats, Dry The River and, of course, Andrew Bird, ensured that the genre is just as eclectic and satisfying as ever.

Personally, music in my life has been a bit mental. 2012 has been the year in which I went from listening almost exclusively to hardcore and pop punk to pretty much anything and everything. Hardcore has been accidentally phased out of my listening habits and it's been quite a strange thing to watch Neutral Milk Hotel and Bon Iver replacing H2O and Have Heart on my most played playlists, but hey, change happens. 2012 has also been the year in which I became a staff member on this here Absolute Punk ship, which is something I'm still absolutely (geddit?) delighted about, and is something I'd wanted since first becoming a lurker on the site at the bright, young age of eleven. So, thanks to all the staff members for being super helpful, and thanks to all the users for being (mostly...) friendly in these early days! Now, 'nuff said and onwards with the lists!

Best Albums
  1. Yellowbirddd - Highway Birches

Although Bright Eyes' The People's Key was an excellent release, it did leave an Oberst sized hole in modern folk music, but never fear, Liam McCormack's Yellowbirddd is more than enough to fill the gap. Highway Birches is one of the saddest, most tender, beautiful albums you'll hear this year. Filled with heart-felt, sparse folk songs, simplicity and emotive lyrics Highway Birches is the sign of a fully fledged, mature singer songwriter who, should, in the next few years be strumming his way to the hearts of thousands.
  2. Grizzly Bear - Shields
  3. Japandroids - Celebration Rock
  4. Dry The River - Shallow Bed
  5. Cloud Nothings - Attack On Memory
  6. Andrew Bird - Break It Yourself
  7. Modern Baseball - Sports
  8. Wild Nothing - Nocturne
  9. Conor Oberst & The Mystic Valley Band - One Of My Kind
  10. Beach House - Bloom

11. Exitmusic - Passage
  12. Annabel - Youth In Youth
  13. The Dandelion War - We Were Always Loyal To Lost Causes
  14. Andrew Bird - Hands Of Glory
  15. The Mountain Goats - Transcendental Youth
  16. Alt J - An Awesome Wave
  17. Perfume Genius - Put Your Back N 2 It
  18. The xx - Coexist
  19. Bad Books - II
  20. M. Ward - A Wasteland Companion

21. You Blew It! - Grow Up Dude
  22. Regina Spektor - What We Saw From The Cheap Seats
  23. Crystal Castles - (III)
  24. Funeral Suits - Lily Of The Valley
  25. Joie De Vivre - We're All Better Than This
  26. Two Door Cinema Club - Beacon
  27. Pentimento - Pentimento
  28. The Lumineers - The Lumineers
  29. The Men - Open Your Heart
  30. mewithoutYou - Ten Stories

31. Northbound - As Long As The Sun Is Up
  32. Tame Impala Lonerism
  33. Certain People I Know - Certain People I Know
  34. Crywank - Narcissist On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown
  35. Stars - The North
  36. The Oh Hellos - Through The Deep Dark Valley
  37. Dikembe - Broad Shoulders
  38. First Aid Kit - The Lion's Roar
  39. A Place To Bury To Strangers - Worship
  40. Dowsing - It's Still Pretty Terrible

41. Dinosaur Jr - I Bet On Sky
  42. The Vaccines - The Vaccines Come Of Age
  43. Make Do And Mend - Everything You Ever Loved
  44. Best Coast - The Only Place
  45. Peace Be Still - 64
  46. Glocca Mora - Just Married
  47. METZ - METZ
  48. Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros - Here
  49. This Is Your Life - Before We Fade Away
  50. Mumford & Sons - Babel

Albums That I Didn't Check Out Enough, But Are Sounding GoodDeftones- Koi No Yokan, Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind, Circle Takes The Square - Decompositions Volume One, The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten,

Best EPs
  1. Gatherer- Postcards
  2. The Antlers - Undersea
  3. Peace - EP Delicious
  4. Arrows In Her - Leaving
  5. Daniel Rossen - Silent Hour/ Golden Mile
  6. The Staves - The Motherlode
  7. Old Gray - Everything I Let Go & The Things I Refuse To
  8. Hudson Taylor - Cinematic Lifestyle
  9. Undesirable People - Eugenics
  10. Milo - Milo Takes Baths
  11. Nurture - Nurture
  12. Real Friends - Three Songs From The Last Year Of My Life
  13. Moving Mountains - New Light
  14. Ólafur Arnalds & Nils Frahm - Stare
  15. Our Sunday Affairs - City Of Dogs
  16. Pull Strings - Autumn/Winter/Spring
  17. The Measure Of - Borne Rhetoric
  18. Julius Way - Relics
  19. Prawn - Ships
  20. Looking For Alaska - Sing Your Heart Out
  21. Flare Jeans - Fall Tour EP
  22. Losing Battles - Impasse

Best Songs
  1. Japandroids - The House That Heaven Built

"The House That Heaven Built" is the definition of what a rock song should be. Everything about it, the simplistic but inspiring lyrics, the rebellious attitude and the air of an anthem that seeps from every aspect of the track, makes Japandroids feel like the leaders of a very disenfranchised youth. Who doesn't like this song?!
  2. Grizzly Bear - Yet Again
  3. Cloud Nothings - Stay Useless
  4. Andrew Bird - Three White Horses
  5. To Kill A King/ Maud In Cahoots - Fictional State (Acoustic)
  6. Yellowbirddd - Eternal Vacation
  7. Japandroids - Continuous Thunder
  8. Alt J - Breezeblocks
  9. The xx - Chained
  10. Madeliene - Valley Street (Hepsabeth Dudley, 1854)
  11. The Lumineers - Ho Hey
  12. Beach House - Myth
  13. Modern Baseball - Tears Over Beers
  14. Mumford & Sons - I Will Wait
  15. Of Monsters And Men- Little Talks

Best Various Artists
1.The Perks Of Being A Wallflower OST (David Bowie, Michael Brook, Cocteau Twins, XTC, Sonic Youth, Cracker, The Smiths, The Innocence Mission, New Order, Galaxie 500, Dexy's Midnight Runners, The Samples)

2. Count Your Lucky Stars Sampler #4 (Certain People I Know, Dowsing, Snowing, Annabel, Football etc, Empire! Empire!, Moving Mountains, Boyfriends, The Reptilian, Merchant Ships, Hightide Hotel, Warren Franklin, Penfold, Joie De Vivre, Into It. Over It, Kid Brother Collective, Perfect Future, Cloud Mouth, CSTVT, Boris Smiles, Mountains For Clouds)

3. Count Your Lucky Stars 4-Way Split #2 (Empire! Empire! I Was A Lonely Estate/ Driving On City Sidewalks/ Two Nights/ Mountains For Clouds)

4. Split 7" (Arrows, Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate))

5. Split EP - (William Bonney, Droughts)

6. Split EP - (Little Kingdoms, Emo Side Project)

7. Feistadon (Feist, Mastadon)

8. Still Alive Clothing Compilation(Caleb Lionheart, Casting Call, Challenges, Clever Words, Doses, Far From Proper, FLS, Forever Came Calling, Handguns, Heart To Heart, Holy Ghost!, I Call Fives, I Was A Hero, Light Years, Major League, On My Honor, Pentimento, Plastic Smiles, Real Friends, Saving Honesty, State Champs, True Things, We Still Dream, With The Punches, Young English)

9. Twilight: Breaking Dawn Pt 2 OST(St. Vincent, James Vincent McMorrow, Passion Pit, Ellie Goulding, Green Day, Feist, POP ETC, A Boy And His Own Kite

10. Couples Therapy(Modern Baseball, Marietta)

Artist Of The YearAndrew Bird
What a year for Andrew Bird. After having released the amazingly beautiful masterpiece that is Break It Yourself, Mr Bird must have found himself at a loose end and decided 'hell, I'll do it again' and decided to put out the similarly beautiful, and more stripped back Hands Of Glory. Whether it be Break It Yourself or Hands Of Glory, Bird established himself as one of the most tender, poetic songwriters on this planet and also one of the most innovative. Whilst many people may tend to overlook Andrew Bird and much praise tends to be heaped on his peers such as Sufjan Stevens or Conor Oberst, Andrew Bird is one of the most consistent, intelligent artists around and someone that should be appreciated far more. Can't wait to hear more from him.

Bands To Watch Out For In 2013All bands linked to free music and/or stream.

Glocca Morra Emo
Tiny Moving Parts Post-hardcore
Last Call Pop punk
Old Gray Emo/post-hardcore
The Measure Of Post-hardcore
Gatherer Post-hardcore
Peace Indie rock
Doxside Music Group Hip-hop
Arrows In Her Emo
Pity Sex Emo
Real Friends Pop punk
The Oh Hellos Indie folk
Dikembe Emo
Noah Gundersen Folk
St Yorda Surf pop
Sweater Weather Emo
Little Kingdoms Emo
Flare Jeans Emo
Walter Mitty & His Makeshift Orchestra Folk punk

Best Record LabelsCount Your Lucky Stars Records
Responsible for many of the releases in the lists above, CYLS Records is the child of Empire! Empire! (I Was A Lonely Estate)'s Keith and Kathy Latinen. Founded in 2007, the label has real come into its own this year with releases from bands such as Annabel, Joie De Vivre and, of course, Empire! Empire!. In a time when a lot of labels are getting a bad rep for not being the best guys to deal with, CYLS is a label based solely on great people putting out great music.

Glass Nail Records
Founded at the start of this year, Glass Nail Records has quickly established itself as a label jam packed with some of the best young bands in post-hardcore at this moment. Bands such as Gatherer and Arrows In Her are shrouded in the same exciting air that surrounded La Dispute and their peers when they first started releasing and Glass Nail clearly knows how to pick an awesome band. Can't wait to see how this label moves forward in 2013.

Topshelf Records
Topshelf Records is somewhat an amalgamation of the previous to labels. With a highly eclectic roster ranging from Toe to Pianos Become The Teeth and back to Slingshot Dakota, the label has, by far, the most impressive roster around today. Every release put out the label is absolutely stellar and can always be relied on.

Most Anticipated For 2013Arcade Fire - TBA
Modest Mouse - TBA
Paramore - Paramore
Johnny Marr - The Messenger
Canadian Wedding - TBA
Youth Lagoon - TBA
The Joy Formidable - Wolf's Law
Brand New - TBA
Rika - How To Draw A River, Step By Step
Brave Bird - Maybe You, No One Else Is Worth It
Tom Odel
- TBA
Bombay Bicycle Club - TBA

Best Movies
  1. The Perks Of Being A Wallflower (Stephen Chbosky)
  2. Moonrise Kingdom (Wes Anderson)
  3. Delicacy (La Délicatesse) (David Foenkinos/ Stéphane Foenkinos)
  4. Anna Karenina (Joe Wright)
  5. The Amazing Spiderman (Marc Webb)
  6. The Imposter (Bart Layton)
  7. The Dark Night Rises (Christopher Nolan)
  8. The Hunger Games (Gary Ross)
  9. Wuthering Heights (Andrea Arnold)
  10. The Hobbit (Peter Jackson)

Best Shows
1. Doctor Who

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
07:26 AM on 01/01/13
georgedcc
User Info.
Never heard of Yellowbird, but I'm downloading it now. Hope it's good!
08:30 AM on 01/01/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Definitely one of the better individual lists on the site this year. Good for you.
08:58 AM on 01/01/13
DemBitties
I ended up as food for wolves
User Info.
Love Gatherer. Booked those guys for so many shows, and they kill it every time.
10:39 AM on 01/01/13
Erik the Orange
What do they know about friends?
User Info.
This is an awesome list.
10:59 AM on 01/01/13
Kelly Doherty
@_kellydoherty for the lolz
User Info.
Never heard of Yellowbird, but I'm downloading it now. Hope it's good!
Let me know what you think!
12:16 PM on 01/01/13
weaz45
stopthefuckincar.
User Info.
The Measure Of
01:43 PM on 01/01/13
geezeitsq
User Info.
Quote:
The Staves - The Motherlode

Their full length Dead & Born & Grown came out this year - unfortunately not for physical release in the US yet. Definitely check it out if you haven't yet- it's an awesome record!!
03:26 PM on 01/01/13
FUCKDIRTYWIPES
Kicking it middle school
User Info.
your love for Conor is making me check out yellowbirddd. Can't wait!
04:12 PM on 01/01/13
georgedcc
User Info.
Let me know what you think!
Listened to it, it was nice. Can definitely hear the big Conor influence. Didn't love it on my first listen, but that's rarely the case with albums anyway. I'll definitely listen to it a few more times.
06:33 PM on 01/01/13
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
This is a.greatttt list
07:06 PM on 01/01/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
the men, gatherer, and this is your life? impressive

also, lol at crywank, so bad it's good type of thing.
09:19 PM on 01/02/13
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
List is amazing, even though The Menzingers took top spot for me. Only complaint about the album list is the inclusion of Two Door Cinema Club. Couldn't stand that album.
Also, great to see Continuous Thunder in the songs list, it's a great track. I really can't think of an album with a better closing trio of songs for many years (even though Younger Us is an old track it still counts).
09:44 AM on 01/03/13
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
You and I share a lot of likes. Great list. Just reminded me to make that playlist of The Maccabees for you too!
10:59 PM on 01/08/13
Xx sorrow xX
poof
User Info.
we have a bunch of bands in common I'll be sure to check out all on this list :o
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version