AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Streaming News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Johnny Marr "Covers" The Smiths

Posted by - 07:11 AM on 12/04/12
Head to the replies to listen Johnny Marr "covering" The Smiths' classic "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want" live in session for BBC Radio 1.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
07:11 AM on 12/04/12
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
07:58 AM on 12/04/12
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
Over/Under on how long it takes Morrissey to sue Marr/comment on this?
08:38 AM on 12/04/12
Deadbolt01
soundcloud.com/dellauk
User Info.
Don't really see the point in this cover. The guitar is just the same as the original, but not done quite as well. And as a singer he's obviously nothing to shout about. Don't know why he'd re-do a song he already perfected, essentially just giving us a carbon-copy of the original with some bland vocals on it. Fair enough if he wanted to arrange it all really different, but he's not..
08:51 AM on 12/04/12
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
Don't really see the point in this cover. The guitar is just the same as the original, but not done quite as well. And as a singer he's obviously nothing to shout about. Don't know why he'd re-do a song he already perfected, essentially just giving us a carbon-copy of the original with some bland vocals on it. Fair enough if he wanted to arrange it all really different, but he's not..
I kinda see what you mean, I mean it did nothing for me either. But I guess it's that the radio station probably asked him if he'd consider it because he's trying to promote his solo album, and this kinda thing is only going to help that. Can imagine him shrugging at it and thinking "sure, fine".
09:29 AM on 12/04/12
Metal Now
Talking about the second and third
User Info.
Kind of taken aback by how much he sounds like Northern Bono.
09:40 AM on 12/04/12
Uncalled Four
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
if he and Morrissey are just going to keep playing Smiths' songs, they might as well play them together..
10:10 AM on 12/04/12
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
Such a perfect song

The original, that is
11:12 AM on 12/04/12
jimmyeatsboys
User Info.
maybe it's just because i dont like morrisey but I actually like this a lot
11:55 AM on 12/04/12
banaNIP
Paco
User Info.
Quote:
if he and Morrissey are just going to keep playing Smiths' songs, they might as well play them together..
1) Considering he wrote the guitar part, why does he have to re-arrange or improve the guitar part to this song?
2) Just because you like playing songs from your old band, that doesn't necessarily mean you like playing with the old musicians. Touring is hard if you're with people you can't stand.
3) Marr is listed as the principal writer on this song, so let him play the damn song. I like this version, and it's not like he recorded this for an album, it was a live radio session. Everyone complains when artists don't play their old songs during sessions like this, and y'all are making it sound like Johnny Marr has no right to play this.
12:54 PM on 12/04/12
neversaynever73
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Question: can it REALLY be considered a cover if you wrote the song?
12:58 PM on 12/04/12
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
Question: can it REALLY be considered a cover if you wrote the song?
Hence the quote marks every time that word is used.
03:15 PM on 12/04/12
TheModernAge
User Info.
This. I would pay good money for this. Please, please, please!!!
03:58 PM on 12/04/12
Jerzeyboy525
User Info.
i actually liked this version. morrissey needs to stop being a diva and johnny marr needs to just put the drama hold. a smiths tour would bring all the guys together and who knows, they might have fun. as far as the royalties issue goes, half if not all the entire proceeds should goto charity and the rest split equally among everyone on stage. simple.
04:00 PM on 12/04/12
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
i actually liked this version. morrissey needs to stop being a diva and johnny marr needs to just put the drama hold. a smiths tour would bring all the guys together and who knows, they might have fun. as far as the royalties issue goes, half if not all the entire proceeds should goto charity and the rest split equally among everyone on stage. simple.
Had a very similar conversation recently with other users in The Smiths forum thread. A full band tour would never happen, people that think it would clearly don't know much about the history of the members and their relationships.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos