AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

09:52 AM on 12/10/12 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member
It was in the same sense grunge was. An initial reaction and dismissal of current style that ultimately led into a fashion movement in itself
reacting to and dismissing something else are actions which inherently create an identity. what are you trying to say? that punk didn't have an image until later (ie 'ultimately')? or that grunge and punk have images which were created by similar catalysts? i agree with the latter
10:06 AM on 12/10/12 
User Info.
DeathOrGlory
I'm not fucked, not quite
Alberta, Canada
Male - 19 Years Old
Isn't an "anyone can play attitude" part of an image or style? I'm not saying grunge didn't have an image, I just think there was and still is a lot of emphasis on a certain kind of image in punk music. it doesn't really matter tho lol. do agree the poster is ignoring some things in creating a narrative he agrees with
Your last point is what my argument ultimately is. The way he made it sound, alternative music was born in 91 with Nevermind. Maybe grunge brought in alternative music as the major commercial force in music but it was hardly the first genre to come as a reaction to the popular music of the time.
11:31 AM on 12/10/12 
User Info.
Star Slight
reacting to and dismissing something else are actions which inherently create an identity. what are you trying to say? that punk didn't have an image until later (ie 'ultimately')? or that grunge and punk have images which were created by similar catalysts? i agree with the latter
The latter, i suppose. The "punk" image wasnt immediate, though
01:25 PM on 12/10/12 
User Info.
Fuck You Aurora
Lost.
Levittown,PA
Male - 25 Years Old
I don't like The Rolling Stones. I can sort of see why people love them and they're clearly very important. I'm not sure I'd call them objectively good, because I don't want to open up that can of worms, but I can see what you mean. I feel similar about U2, although at least with U2, I could probably put together 10 or 12 songs of theirs that I like, even if they haven't released an album that I love.

There's lots of other bands that are critically loved or are probably 'important', but TRS are the first one that comes to mind.

Edit: That Captain Beefheart album is brilliant ha! Never heard anything else like it, it's such a mess.
Another edit: Metallica, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Megadeath etc. Can't get into that sort of metal at all.
I agree with you on the Stones. I always felt the Stones never released a great album, I always thought they only had two or three good songs at best on each album.
01:27 PM on 12/10/12 
User Info.
Fuck You Aurora
Lost.
Levittown,PA
Male - 25 Years Old
Nirvana.
01:29 PM on 12/10/12 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
Johnny Cash, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Radiohead, U2...

WOW...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version