AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

02:08 PM on 12/06/12 
User Info.
tommyishere
Balloon Manufactuar
Male - 22 Years Old
I know its probably an education topic, but I figure it deals with your personal life as well....maybe.

Anyways: Im really considering going abroad next fall for school, I just want to get anyones opinion, places(have 3 right now, Brussels, Vienna Austria and UK), if they went abroad, is school easier abroad than actually in the states? I have heard two sides to that. But just basically anything, and if anyone has went to Europe, just let me know. I hear its a once in a lifetime experience and my parents are all for it. So please.

ALSO Hostels, tell me about them, they creep me out.
02:15 PM on 12/06/12 
User Info.
TorontoMatt
No Avatar Selected
many want to, most don't.
03:20 PM on 12/06/12 
User Info.
bladerdude360
saved latin. What did you ever do?
Champaign-Urbana,...
Male - 23 Years Old
I have a number of friends who have studied abroad and absolutely loved it. I know a bunch of people who went to Australia recently so that's what I hear the most about. Everybody who went had a great time and it sounds like a really unique experience. I really haven't heard a lot of bad stuff about study abroad, but I don't know a lot about the academic rigor. I think it kind of depends on what you're studying and where you go. All in all, I think it can be a great experience that you probably won't have the opportunity to do again, so if you're interested go for it!
04:08 PM on 12/06/12 
User Info.
upthepunx
San Diego, CA
Male - 24 Years Old
It depends on what you are studying, I've always heard good stories about studying abroad. Whether the trip was difficult or fun, I have rarely heard anybody say that they regret it. Do it, it's something that I wish I could do. What are you studying?
07:24 PM on 12/06/12 
User Info.
spiffa0
I am the Third Revelation
Westmont, NJ
Male - 26 Years Old
Hostels are incredible. Best way to meet people when you travel.
08:30 PM on 12/06/12 
User Info.
Less Than Mike
Happiness is just a moment.
Sydney, Australia
Male - 22 Years Old
I have a number of friends who have studied abroad and absolutely loved it. I know a bunch of people who went to Australia recently so that's what I hear the most about. Everybody who went had a great time and it sounds like a really unique experience. I really haven't heard a lot of bad stuff about study abroad, but I don't know a lot about the academic rigor. I think it kind of depends on what you're studying and where you go. All in all, I think it can be a great experience that you probably won't have the opportunity to do again, so if you're interested go for it!
Have a bunch of friends who came here to study. They all had the greatest time but it was so sad to see them go back home.
08:48 PM on 12/06/12 
User Info.
Ollie McKraut
Registered Member
Male - 23 Years Old
don't do it; your friends rely on you
08:16 AM on 12/07/12 
User Info.
tommyishere
Balloon Manufactuar
Male - 22 Years Old
It depends on what you are studying, I've always heard good stories about studying abroad. Whether the trip was difficult or fun, I have rarely heard anybody say that they regret it. Do it, it's something that I wish I could do. What are you studying?

Management, not a big econ fan and wanted to go somewhere else to take those classes to be honest.
10:18 AM on 12/07/12 
User Info.
scott!athedisco
Pensacola, FL
Male - 25 Years Old
Management, not a big econ fan and wanted to go somewhere else to take those classes to be honest.

I went to France fall of 2010...most incredible semester of my life. My classes were pass/fail and my teachers were too polite to fail an American student. I consequently took advantage of the situation by traveling to 21 countries that year. I lived in hostels, met beautiful girls whom I'd never have a chance with in America, indulged in every vice, went to every concert I could, and everything from Oktoberfest in Berlin to snowboarding in the Alps. I'm not idealizing it either - it really was that incredible. If you have the chance to go on exchange...take it. Doesn't matter where. You'll love it.

Also, hostels aren't creepy. It's the perfect way for young people to travel. Some tips I picked up - bring flip flops for the showers, a padlock (or they'll charge you to lock up your stuff), and your own towel (some places provide one, others charge you). You can expect to get a shitty night of sleep (uncomfortable beds, people going in and out), but I am STILL facebook friends with dozens of people I've met in them. I won't ever do a hotel again unless I am traveling with a wife/girlfriend.
11:36 AM on 12/07/12 
User Info.
bladerdude360
saved latin. What did you ever do?
Champaign-Urbana,...
Male - 23 Years Old
Have a bunch of friends who came here to study. They all had the greatest time but it was so sad to see them go back home.

One of the guys my cousin met in Australia actually just came to visit him here at the University of Illinois. We all went out this week when he was in town. Very cool to meet one of the people I've heard about from my cousin's trip. And pretty amazing to make such great friends that they would make trips around the word to visit!
11:37 AM on 12/07/12 
User Info.
Spencer Control
Now we are all sons of bitches
While I confess that I have not done it myself, it's something I intend to do (or at least volunteer abroad) in college. I've only ever heard extremely positive things about it from those who have done it - and it certainly seems like a great, culturally-enriching experience.
12:48 PM on 12/07/12 
User Info.
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
L’Amérique du Nord
Male - 26 Years Old
I've studied abroad twice; once in Nantes, France and once in Alacala de Henares, Spain. They were hands-down the best experiences of my entire life. Seriously, everything else I've done pales immensely in comparison. I can tell you anything and everything about the experiences, if you want to know more information please ask me questions!!
12:49 PM on 12/07/12 
User Info.
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
L’Amérique du Nord
Male - 26 Years Old
I went to France fall of 2010...most incredible semester of my life. My classes were pass/fail and my teachers were too polite to fail an American student. I consequently took advantage of the situation by traveling to 21 countries that year. I lived in hostels, met beautiful girls whom I'd never have a chance with in America, indulged in every vice, went to every concert I could, and everything from Oktoberfest in Berlin to snowboarding in the Alps. I'm not idealizing it either - it really was that incredible. If you have the chance to go on exchange...take it. Doesn't matter where. You'll love it.

Also, hostels aren't creepy. It's the perfect way for young people to travel. Some tips I picked up - bring flip flops for the showers, a padlock (or they'll charge you to lock up your stuff), and your own towel (some places provide one, others charge you). You can expect to get a shitty night of sleep (uncomfortable beds, people going in and out), but I am STILL facebook friends with dozens of people I've met in them. I won't ever do a hotel again unless I am traveling with a wife/girlfriend.

Where in France did you study? I studied in Nantes myself.
01:41 PM on 12/07/12 
User Info.
Coloso
hey
Romaaaaaaa
Male - 23 Years Old
I studied in Rome last spring -- best 5 months of my life bar none. Personally I don't know of anyone having a negative experience; at my school 75% my class volunteered to study abroad for a semester and they have things very well organized. I didn't know a hint of Italian and stayed with an amazing and accommodating host mother. She did not know any English, but my Italian improved quickly which was one of the coolest parts about being over there.
I traveled to Brussels, Prague, and Amsterdam (as well as a myriad of places in Italy) and they were all very much fun, fantastic trips.
Don't bother staying in hostels -- if you go with a bunch of people you can stay in an apartment for just as cheaply anywhere I looked.
I guess I can imagine it being a horrible time if you aren't well-prepared or if your school is not prepared, but that's just so far from what my experience was.
I came away from the trip much more independent and capable, and got to see and do things I never would have had the chance to otherwise -- it's an incredible experience I can't imagine having passed up.
03:26 PM on 12/07/12 
User Info.
White
Tell me about your day, you slut.
Orgasmville, NA
Male
If you wanna know about hostels, watch the movie Hostel. Fuck that shit.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets