AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

08:08 PM on 05/01/13 
User Info.
Ferrari333SP
St. Paul, Minnesota
Male - 27 Years Old
I don't have a single problem with this film borrowing bits from other films. I went into this expecting to be entertained by a cool looking sci-fi movie, and I for sure was. Of course there were some plot holes(did the colony on Titan not exist? Were those humans hiding underground the only humans left? Why was Tet sucking all the water out, since it was an alien ship?), but they didn't take away from my enjoyment of the story. The visual effects were absolutely incredible, and I thought Tom Cruise delivered a great performance; he seemed to really put himself in his character. Contrary to what SeanGather said, I actually thought Olga Kurylenko gave a pretty bland performance; she just seemed out of place, like she was almost too-good looking to fit the material. She got "emotional" in many places, but I wasn't really believing it.

The score was pretty good too; other than the two tracks M83 did, the rest of the soundtrack is pretty blah/average. Sucks he wasn't given more creative control over the music used.

A movie that makes me filled with rage/hate, unlike Oblivion? That would be "No Country For Old Men"; will never see that piece of crap again.
08:23 PM on 05/01/13 
User Info.
spaghettti
Too turnt
Westfield, MA
Female - 20 Years Old
This movie.....was really bad
08:27 PM on 05/01/13 
User Info.
spaghettti
Too turnt
Westfield, MA
Female - 20 Years Old
This was bullshit, and I left the cinema ANGRY. It was Moon as directed by George Lucas, with a beautiful, lush and utterly derivative score.

I hated almost everything about it, apart from some of the performances - Olga Kurylenko, though she's not given much to do, conveyed more emotion with those big, sad eyes than Tom Cruise has managed in nearly every film he's made post-Magnolia, and it's kind of startling how great she is and how far she's come since playing the token "sexy European" early in her Hollywood career. Andrea Riseborough was great too, but the script had no sympathy for her which was infuriating.

The rest of the cast were utterly underused - Zoe Bell didn't even have one line! And Nikolas Coster-Waldau may as well not have. Morgan Freeman's role was essentially to be Morgan Freeman so they didn't have to develop his character at all, but they could still say "oh you like Morgan Freeman, don't you? Well he's dead now! NO HE'S NOT! Yes he is." . Almost every bit of imagery was co-opted from other films/games. The podrace from The Phantom Menace and the speeder chase from Jedi. HAL from 2001 . Moon . Mass Effect. Final Fantasy.

The thing that angered me the most, though was the ending. It tipped me over into real hatred, because the best sci-fi digs into what makes us human, how we retain our soul in the face of advancing technology. While this film had the same twist as Moon - which I called three minutes into the film with the "4-year mind wipe" stuff - it completely missed what Moon hit so beautifully, and what other sci-fi classics nail. The ending expects us to care about 52!Jack just because he's got Jack Harper's face. It doesn't matter that he's not the same character we've spent over 2 hours with, that doesn't have any of the experiences or character (...I use that word lightly) of the protagonist we got to know, effectively or not. All that matters is that Tom Cruise was dead and now he's not, so YAY. Julia should be happy, we should be happy, happy endings all round, roll credits. But what about 1 through 48? And 50-51?? Actually, I don't even want to think about the other plot holes because I'm angry enough as-is.

In short - fuck this movie.
I completely agree with all of this
06:32 AM on 05/02/13 
User Info.
Ferrari333SP
St. Paul, Minnesota
Male - 27 Years Old
This movie.....was really bad

What were you expecting out of the movie?
06:48 AM on 05/02/13 
User Info.
spaghettti
Too turnt
Westfield, MA
Female - 20 Years Old
What were you expecting out of the movie?
I wasn't expecting it to be more than just a typical scifi movie. The acting turned me off, and Tom Cruise was, well, Tom Cruise. It was just executed poorly.
07:06 AM on 05/02/13 
User Info.
iRob
Live together, die alone.
England
Male - 23 Years Old
I don't have a single problem with this film borrowing bits from other films. I went into this expecting to be entertained by a cool looking sci-fi movie, and I for sure was. Of course there were some plot holes(did the colony on Titan not exist? Were those humans hiding underground the only humans left? Why was Tet sucking all the water out, since it was an alien ship?), but they didn't take away from my enjoyment of the story. The visual effects were absolutely incredible, and I thought Tom Cruise delivered a great performance; he seemed to really put himself in his character. Contrary to what SeanGather said, I actually thought Olga Kurylenko gave a pretty bland performance; she just seemed out of place, like she was almost too-good looking to fit the material. She got "emotional" in many places, but I wasn't really believing it.

The score was pretty good too; other than the two tracks M83 did, the rest of the soundtrack is pretty blah/average. Sucks he wasn't given more creative control over the music used.

A movie that makes me filled with rage/hate, unlike Oblivion? That would be "No Country For Old Men"; will never see that piece of crap again.

The Titan colony didn't exist. It was just something they told the clones so that they'd agree to help. The humans underground were supposedly the only group, or one of the only groups, of humans left who knew the truth. They were sucking all the water up for power. Stripping Earth of its resources to power their ship, the Tet.

I think people just love to pick stuff apart. I go into movies intending to just sit back and enjoy whatever is shown to me. But I think some people go into a film with the mindset of trying to spot as many bad things about is as possible.

The movie is absolutely flawed and it borrows from a ton of others, but who cares? A bunch of films do that and are still enjoyable.

The trailer was enough to know that this would be a typical sci-fi movie. There wasn't enough hype behind it to think it'd be groundbreaking.
07:33 AM on 05/02/13 
User Info.
Ferrari333SP
St. Paul, Minnesota
Male - 27 Years Old
The Titan colony didn't exist. It was just something they told the clones so that they'd agree to help. The humans underground were supposedly the only group, or one of the only groups, of humans left who knew the truth. They were sucking all the water up for power. Stripping Earth of its resources to power their ship, the Tet.

I think people just love to pick stuff apart. I go into movies intending to just sit back and enjoy whatever is shown to me. But I think some people go into a film with the mindset of trying to spot as many bad things about is as possible.

The movie is absolutely flawed and it borrows from a ton of others, but who cares? A bunch of films do that and are still enjoyable.

The trailer was enough to know that this would be a typical sci-fi movie. There wasn't enough hype behind it to think it'd be groundbreaking.

So the alien ship Tet was powered by what, helium-3 they harvested from the water? That's why they were sucking it up? Why did they need Earth resources; aren't these aliens and their advanced ship super advanced, so should be beyond needing Earth resources?

Also, near the end, that montage with Tom Cruise and that other lady in the NASA ship, going towards the Alien object. Was the alien object near Earth then? Because by what the characters were saying, it sounded like the people on that ship had been sleeping a long time or something to get to that spot, to get to the alien object. And why did they keep those people sleeping the back of the ship, and Tom Cruise and the other lady were the only ones awake to approach the alien ship? And earlier in the movie, when Cruise's wife crashed to Earth; why did that happen? If she came from that NASA ship Odyssey, who's approach with the Tet ship I assume happened many years ago, why did it suddenly crash to earth in that particular time Cruise saw it crash? Where was it during all those interval years?
07:55 AM on 05/02/13 
User Info.
iRob
Live together, die alone.
England
Male - 23 Years Old
So the alien ship Tet was powered by what, helium-3 they harvested from the water? That's why they were sucking it up? Why did they need Earth resources; aren't these aliens and their advanced ship super advanced, so should be beyond needing Earth resources?

Also, near the end, that montage with Tom Cruise and that other lady in the NASA ship, going towards the Alien object. Was the alien object near Earth then? Because by what the characters were saying, it sounded like the people on that ship had been sleeping a long time or something to get to that spot, to get to the alien object. And why did they keep those people sleeping the back of the ship, and Tom Cruise and the other lady were the only ones awake to approach the alien ship? And earlier in the movie, when Cruise's wife crashed to Earth; why did that happen? If she came from that NASA ship Odyssey, who's approach with the Tet ship I assume happened many years ago, why did it suddenly crash to earth in that particular time Cruise saw it crash? Where was it during all those interval years?

It didn't specifically say they needed the water to power the Tet, that's just my assumption. I think that's digging a little deep. Even though they're super advanced I guess they still need resources. A lot of alien based movies are based upon the idea of aliens needing Earth's resources, but it never tells you exactly what for.

I need to watch again because my memory is bad, but I think they were investigating the Tet and we're meant to assume they take it in turns to sleep or control the ship or something, and at the time they entered the Tet, only Cruise and the woman were awake.

I think the reason his wife came to Earth was because he activated that telephone, which was a Nasa beacon to get the sleep pods to return to Earth. Before they entered the Tet 60 years before, Cruise released that part of the ship knowing they were going to be captured, and the sleeping people orbited Earth for that whole time still in cryo sleep. But I think they said towards the end that the telephone was a beacon to bring it back to Earth.

There's a bunch of plot holes, I know, but there's hundreds of movies and TV shows I could dig up that are full of holes. I just try to enjoy things for what they're meant to be.
08:00 AM on 05/02/13 
User Info.
Ferrari333SP
St. Paul, Minnesota
Male - 27 Years Old
It didn't specifically say they needed the water to power the Tet, that's just my assumption. I think that's digging a little deep. Even though they're super advanced I guess they still need resources. A lot of alien based movies are based upon the idea of aliens needing Earth's resources, but it never tells you exactly what for.

I need to watch again because my memory is bad, but I think they were investigating the Tet and we're meant to assume they take it in turns to sleep or control the ship or something, and at the time they entered the Tet, only Cruise and the woman were awake.

I think the reason his wife came to Earth was because he activated that telephone, which was a Nasa beacon to get the sleep pods to return to Earth. Before they entered the Tet 60 years before, Cruise released that part of the ship knowing they were going to be captured, and the sleeping people orbited Earth for that whole time still in cryo sleep. But I think they said towards the end that the telephone was a beacon to bring it back to Earth.

There's a bunch of plot holes, I know, but there's hundreds of movies and TV shows I could dig up that are full of holes. I just try to enjoy things for what they're meant to be.

Ahhhhhhhhhh; yeah I think it'd all come together for me if I saw the film again. I'm a huge fan of sci-fi films as well, and I just can't help myself try to figure why things happen in movies the way they do. It doesn't really detract from me enjoying the movie; it's just something that gets the gears of my brain moving while watching it.
09:26 AM on 05/02/13 
User Info.
dash64
^^^&&&&/////
Dallas, TX
Male - 23 Years Old
Looks like the director needs to do an ama.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets