AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
This is Hell - Misfortunes Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 9.5
Production 9
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.63
Average: 94%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

This is Hell - Misfortunes

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (02/19/08)
This Is HellMisfortunes
Release Date: February 19, 2008
Record Label: Trustkill

So it just seems like yesterday that upstart Long Island hardcore act This Is Hell released their Trustkill debut, Sundowning. The quintet (consisting of former members from Subterfuge, Scraps And Heart Attacks and The Backup Plan) caught our attention with two blistering EP’s. TIH lost some steam with Sundowning, which offered mix results, a handful of forgettable tracks and a handful of great tracks (Permanence comes to mind). But consistent touring and hard work has created a very nice following, and somehow TIH found time to record and release Misfortunes, their second album for Trustkill. And let me tell you, the latest offering from these Long Island heroes makes Sundowning sound like the latest James Blunt album.

What you should take from Misfortunes is that from beginning to end, it is consistently kicking ass and taking names. Vocalist Travis Reilly takes no prisoners, as his vox just shred throughout the album; the perfect complement to the incessant pounding of Dan Bourke’s drumming and the never-say-die attitude of guitarists Chris Reynolds and Rick Jimenez. It’s raw, it’s fast, and it packs a punch not many albums this year will be able to match.

You know you’re in for a hell of a ride as soon as “Reckless” blasts through your speakers. A faint guitar screech leads into a reckless abandonment of structure as This Is Hell drops you like you’re Jesse Metcalfe. The majority of tracks like “Infected,” “Fearless Vampires,” and “Without Closure” are short and sweet. They get to the point and leave you begging for more. Thankfully, “Disciples” and “Remnants” do just that. Bourke’s work behind the kit paces the buzzsaw attack from Reynolds and Jimenez, while Johnny Moore’s lively bass gives each track some backbone.

But This Is Hell begins and ends with Reilly’s bark. Passion, intensity, and anguish bleed from his vocals and give each track its personality. Easily one of the best front men in the entire scene today, he rips through tracks like the bombastic “In Shambles” and the anthemic “You Are The Antithesis.” Misfortunes ends dramatically with “Last Days Campaign,” which begins with a slow and somber guitar strums and drumming, with Reilly distantly screaming as it picks up into a battle cry of a track, dripping with emotion.

While the good majority of the AbsolutePunk.net community is not into hardcore, I highly encourage Misfortunes to all. It’s everything you love about music: it’s honest, in your face, and doesn’t give a damn. Any questions fans may have had after Sundowning have been forcefully answered with Misfortunes. Do yourself a great favor and pick up Misfortunes, as it promises to be one of the essential hardcore records of 2008.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Reckless
2. Infected
3. Disciples
4. In Shambles
5. Realization: Remorse
6. Without Closure
7. Remnants
8. Resuscitate
9. Fearless Vampires
10. You Are The Antithesis
11. End Of An Era
12. Memoirs
13. Last Days Campaign

This Is Hell are:
Johnny Moore – bass
Dan Bourke – drums
Rick Jimenez – guitar
Travis Reilly – vocals
Chris Reynolds – guitar

Buy it now:

Official Website; Official Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 56
08:25 AM on 02/19/08
Chemical Love
-
User Info.
I love this CD, I really cant get enough of it.
08:32 AM on 02/19/08
Until The Bombs
@_johnleary
User Info.
Great album. Great band. Saw them live a little over a year ago. They put on a hell of a show.
08:58 AM on 02/19/08
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
Trustkill would be fools not to quote this entire review in their promotions for Misfortunes. Good review, and thank you... I was on the fence about buying this one, but now I know that it's a must buy.
09:03 AM on 02/19/08
Deth
User Info.
Their new album is on repeat as we speak. I am also agreeing with you on the fact that Sundowning was terrible and a lot of those tracks were really forgettable as you had stated.
09:04 AM on 02/19/08
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Trustkill would be fools not to quote this entire review in their promotions for Misfortunes. Good review, and thank you... I was on the fence about buying this one, but now I know that it's a must buy.
awesome, that's the best thing a reviewer can hear/read when people go out and buy the music!
09:06 AM on 02/19/08
screamoURI
it feels like summer in october
User Info.

same. i'm getting it today along with Paint It Black. its gonna be a hardcore couple of weeks for my cd player
09:14 AM on 02/19/08
LikeACat
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Maybe you should mention how there isn't much progressive, minus musicianship, from their debut LP or that alot of it is samey? One paragraph critiquing the Debut (the only visable critique being "a handful of forgettable tracks") and four of them praising the softmoar, give me a break thats not good reviewing. I can throw tons of comments at you that you will probably brush off but seriously dude your the textbook definition of an AP reviewer and you need to spend more time on your reviews.
09:17 AM on 02/19/08
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Maybe you should mention how there isn't much progressive, minus musicianship, from their debut LP or that alot of it is samey? One paragraph critiquing the Debut (the only visable critique being "a handful of forgettable tracks") and four of them praising the softmoar, give me a break thats not good reviewing. I can throw tons of comments at you that you will probably brush off but seriously dude your the textbook definition of an AP reviewer and you need to spend more time on your reviews.
haha I will brush them off because you don't offer constructive criticism, you just have a vendetta against me and I'm not going to take anything you say seriously.
09:27 AM on 02/19/08
thisishell
This is Hell / Travis
User Info.

thats very interesting.... i never stake much faith in reviews because at the end of the day it's one persons opinion... but thats sweet... thanks for the kind words drew..
09:33 AM on 02/19/08
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
thats very interesting.... i never stake much faith in reviews because at the end of the day it's one persons opinion... but thats sweet... thanks for the kind words drew..

One person's opinion, true, but you've gotta admit that there are some good one-liners there for you guys.
09:41 AM on 02/19/08
BurymeWalkAway
User Info.
I hated the last cd but this one seemed to be a step up...
09:42 AM on 02/19/08
thisishell
This is Hell / Travis
User Info.
I hated the last cd but this one seemed to be a step up...

hated to dislike..... we are making progress :)
09:57 AM on 02/19/08
DangerousDarrin
User Info.
I'm going to my local record store to buy the only copy they have... which is put on hold. Good review. I love hardcore. Comeback Kid is probably my favourite, but these guys are up there too.
09:59 AM on 02/19/08
lilRIPsta
User Info.
saw them open for glassjaw and they rocked, then bought the cd and it sucked. hopefully this will have the same itensity as their live performance
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums