Password

01:27 PM on 12/11/12 
User Info.
Anthony Sorendino
Don't you dare ever give up...
PA
Male - 25 Years Old
Staff Member
you wouldn't think so, but it's VERY prevalent in metal... In a thread just the other day, the word "metalcore" was mentioned and everyone immediately went nuts about how bad metalcore was
Holy shit: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/colum..._of_metal.html

Australian War Metal?

Circus Metal?

Epic Metal?

Math Metal?

True Metal?

Viking Metal?

No thank you...
01:31 PM on 12/11/12 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
Holy shit: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/colum..._of_metal.html

Australian War Metal?

Circus Metal?

Epic Metal?

Math Metal?

True Metal?

Viking Metal?

No thank you...

I'm telling you man. That barely scratches the surface... I'm willing to bet there's over 200 sub-genres of metal... and some metalheads take that shit WAY to seriously
02:35 PM on 12/11/12 
User Info.
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
Male - 24 Years Old
Basic genres are acceptable. Rock, pop, jazz, folk. Or just say a mixture of two or more. Subgenres are very rarely helpful. Rites of Spring and Panic at the Disco do not belong in the same subgenre and yet both are widely referred to as being emo.
03:10 PM on 12/11/12 
User Info.
Theseventhson
NY
Male - 21 Years Old
See the beautiful thing about the digital age is that when someone asks you what a band sounds like you can pull out your cellphone and play a song rather than comparing them to some bands they probably don't even really sound like or giving some general genre tag or whatever.
05:03 PM on 12/11/12 
User Info.
Neo Cassady
Let's go exploring!
Cincinnati, OH
Male - 28 Years Old
I'm telling you man. That barely scratches the surface... I'm willing to bet there's over 200 sub-genres of metal... and some metalheads take that shit WAY to seriously

Eventually every band will be its own genre.
06:03 PM on 12/11/12 
User Info.
LexXchaos
making the perfect mess of my life
New Jersey
Female - 20 Years Old
See the beautiful thing about the digital age is that when someone asks you what a band sounds like you can pull out your cellphone and play a song rather than comparing them to some bands they probably don't even really sound like or giving some general genre tag or whatever.

I could not agree more. I'm so bad at describing music, especially to people who aren't familiar with most of the bands and genres I listen to.
08:29 PM on 12/11/12 
User Info.
EvilZeppelin
FUZZZZZZ
Jamestown, NY
Male - 27 Years Old
12:40 PM on 12/12/12 
User Info.
suicidalmoose
Lindsay let me kiss your forehead!
Lisboa, Portugal
Male - 27 Years Old
genres are useful, of course. if you don't know if fun. should be considered a rock or a pop band, and don't want to be too specific, why not just call it pop-rock?

exaggerating, however, makes genres pointless. as with, you know, basically everything. the fault is in the exaggeration, not necessarily in the labeling
11:07 PM on 12/12/12 
User Info.
saddr weirdr
We're all alone. grab a hold.
Southern California
Female
I feel like the average person outside of this site/this scene will have no idea what the fuck 'indie powerpop' or the like would mean. If anything, "rock" would be a pretty descriptive title for them.
01:12 AM on 12/13/12 
User Info.
cshadows2887
Boston, MA
Male - 27 Years Old
Verified
I would lean toward calling fun pop mostly, but there's a valid argument for them as a rock band. Vocally he's a lot like some more traditional rock singers (my dad always says he sounds like Kevin Cronin from REO Speedwagon). The way guitar is used on their songs is "rock." Plus they have a major boner for Queen, who was certainly a rock band.
01:43 AM on 12/13/12 
User Info.
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
Perth, Australia
Male
This goes a little off topic, but it's kind of related at the same time so bare with me. A band name can sometimes give a new listener an idea of what the genre the band is in, so you'll get a metal band called "As Blood Runs Black" or whatever and a folk band called "Mumford and Sons", and a Rock band called "The Rolling Stones", and so on, so usually people judge a band on their band name, just as they would if a band had a silly sub genre tag on their back like "Midwest Indie Rock" or "Jazz Punk" or whatever. Sometimes these silly tags are brought on by the band themselves. i.e. The Used giving themselves the tag "Gross Pop" and HIM giving themselves the tag "Love Metal" and then there's the band that can't describe what they sound like to save their life. Genres give the listener an idea of what kind of music to expect, but when a band is labelled wrong or isn't what the listener expected, the listener is in for a surprise, so saying they sound like a mix That Band and This Band gives the listener a better idea of what to expect.

The more I re-read this, the less it makes sense - I hope you get what I'm trying to say though...
07:22 PM on 12/16/12 
User Info.
JunBringer
www.last.fm/user/junbringer
Annapolis, MD
Male
I usually consider rock to be guitar driven. I think The Format was driven more by guitar than fun. is. fun. seems to me more like pop music played by a band. I understand the need for sub sub sub genres cause I use those things to describe bands, since I love discussing music. Dudes above talking about metal are right, it's much more detailed in metal as you get some blogs talking about "this is my favorite progressive deathcore ep of the year" and stuff like that. Some people are bothered by it but I'd rather someone be more descriptive.

We tend to call my band Progressive Post Hard Rock or Alternative Piano Metal or something ridiculous like that, but that's just all in good fun.
08:55 PM on 12/16/12 
User Info.
CalRahhh
I Want That You Are Always Happy
NSW, Australia
Male - 22 Years Old
Man fuck genres. Its all just music maaaaaaan.
09:10 PM on 12/16/12 
User Info.
AndwooLee
Atlanta, GA
Male
sub-genres are only for people who are generally "in the know" with music. does it serve a purpose?

only for people who care too much. it's good discourse to talk about a particular sub-genre and compare this band with that band, but it's not like it moves anything forward for music.

though it is frustrating when you talk to someone who isn't an active music listener and they ask you what your favorite band is and what they sound like. i feel like i'm not doing them justice by just describing them as "rock."
09:37 AM on 12/17/12 
User Info.
ShotgunGold
No Avatar Selected
Male - 22 Years Old
I think three main genres are good for all "popular/pop/contemporary" music and they are ROCK, ELECTRONIC and URBAN.

I would definitely say Fun are a rock band.

So are Coldplay. And The Script. And even McFly.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos