8. In Your Arms Again
9. The Appleblossom Rag
10. Bonfire
11. In Your Arms Awhile
12. Joy To Your Baby
13. Lights

New single, "Joy To You Baby":

Album teaser:

Pre-order packages and tour dates can be seen here.

A note from Josh:
Quote:
Hey everyone,

I have a new album coming out on March 5, 2013. It’s called The Beast in Its Tracks. You can hear a song from it on joshritter.com

I wrote and recorded this record in the 18 months after my marriage had fallen apart. All heartbreak is awful – my broken heart wasn’t unique. But writing these songs was helping me get through the night and I didn’t have the strength to care or question.

It felt like a different record from the start. Far from the grand, sweeping feel of the songs on So Runs the World Away, these new ones felt like rocks in the shoe, hard little nuggets of whatever they were, be it spite, remorse, or happiness. I told all this to Sam Kassirer, my producer and friend. If we recorded these songs, which felt so personal, their starkness needed a corresponding simplicity of production. I hadn’t composed this stuff, I’d scrawled it down, just trying to keep ahead of the heartbreak, and they needed to be recorded like that.

Listening to it now makes me very proud. I can’t wait to share it with all of you.

Love,
Josh
11:49 AM on 12/11/12 
User Info.
gman610
Second Best
Chattanooga, TN
Male - 22 Years Old
Here's a live version of another new song, "New Lover":

I actually really like the single. I've given it a few listens now, and while I don't think it's his best song ever or anything, it's as solid as I could expect from him. I think it'll be even better in the context of the album, but we'll see. I too think this could be one of his best albums yet - he keeps getting better with each album, in my opinion. This seems like a return to The Animal Years and the material before that (which is spotty, I think, but has some of his best songs) but more mature and a little refined. Of course, it's hard to say that definitively with just one song, but that's the feeling I'm getting.
10:43 PM on 02/16/13 
User Info.
gman610
Second Best
Chattanooga, TN
Male - 22 Years Old
So, this is out there apparently.
12:42 PM on 02/17/13 
User Info.
gman610
Second Best
Chattanooga, TN
Male - 22 Years Old
Well, someone on SoulSeek made a big mistake then, because I've listened to the album three times now.
12:47 PM on 02/17/13 
User Info.
gman610
Second Best
Chattanooga, TN
Male - 22 Years Old
Just checked through a simple Google search and can't find anything. I guess I just assumed if it was up on there, it was up everywhere else. Weird.
05:09 AM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
gman610
Second Best
Chattanooga, TN
Male - 22 Years Old
Definitely my favorite song on the album.
05:54 PM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
gman610
Second Best
Chattanooga, TN
Male - 22 Years Old
It still exists! It's useful at times, although it's not the only thing I use. (Not that I'm like downloading constantly without any qualms or whatever - usually just stuff I've preordered - I do buy my music.)
06:32 PM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
gman610
Second Best
Chattanooga, TN
Male - 22 Years Old
That's really surprising to hear, for me. So Runs... has long been possibly my favorite Ritter album and has been since it came out. Historical Conquests... is really really close for me though. I can agree with the exhausting comments, but I think that the pacing and overall journey-type feel of the album is what makes it so special for me (although I think if he had taken off a few songs, e.g. "The Remnant," it would have been just a little bit better).
05:07 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
gman610
Second Best
Chattanooga, TN
Male - 22 Years Old
Glad this is finally out there somewhere. Very interested in hearing people's thoughts on this one.
11:21 AM on 03/03/13 
User Info.
gman610
Second Best
Chattanooga, TN
Male - 22 Years Old
This has grown on me immensely over the past few weeks. Not sure if like it as much as the past three, but it is a beautiful, beautiful record. Sitting down with a lyric book will help too; there are some really striking lines throughout that are pretty devastating ("Hopeful", especially, at least for me).
08:52 AM on 03/04/13 
User Info.
gman610
Second Best
Chattanooga, TN
Male - 22 Years Old
Got my preorder of the deluxe LP (and "Joy To You Baby" single) in today. Everything looks fantastic, and I'm way excited to hear the three or four b-sides included with it all. It's also pretty cool that he includes a CD with his vinyl too, always appreciated that.

Also, as per the above, I had zero idea he had a kid. Total surprise.
05:12 PM on 03/04/13 
User Info.
gman610
Second Best
Chattanooga, TN
Male - 22 Years Old
Right now, NPR is live streaming video of the album release show.
07:12 PM on 03/04/13 
User Info.
gman610
Second Best
Chattanooga, TN
Male - 22 Years Old
Lights is probably one of my least favorites from the new album, but holy shit, this live version is superb in every way. Beautiful.

That's one of my favorites, actually, just for the vocal melody at the very end. But I'm curious, what are your favorites?
08:22 AM on 03/07/13 
User Info.
gman610
Second Best
Chattanooga, TN
Male - 22 Years Old
This is just the best video.

12:52 PM on 05/10/13 
User Info.
gman610
Second Best
Chattanooga, TN
Male - 22 Years Old
Guess I gotta get that Patty Griffin album.

This is still one of my favorites of the year, although more recent releases (The Knife, Vampire Weekend, The National, Deerhunter, etc.) have all taken my attention away from it. I don't think I'd put it as his best or even second-best, but that'll probably change after I see him in another month or so. That's what usually happens. Still, it's better than most other stuff out there.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos