Username
Password

01:37 PM on 02/17/13 
User Info.
alann
Let's go get 'em
El Paso, Texas
Male
I don't think it is, his albums rarely leak before pre-orders are shipped.
01:42 PM on 02/17/13 
User Info.
gman610
Second Best
Chattanooga, TN
Male - 22 Years Old
Well, someone on SoulSeek made a big mistake then, because I've listened to the album three times now.
01:45 PM on 02/17/13 
User Info.
alann
Let's go get 'em
El Paso, Texas
Male
Well shit, this is a surprise.
01:47 PM on 02/17/13 
User Info.
gman610
Second Best
Chattanooga, TN
Male - 22 Years Old
Just checked through a simple Google search and can't find anything. I guess I just assumed if it was up on there, it was up everywhere else. Weird.
06:08 AM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
odizzle_word
I know my calculus
Brooklyn, NY
Female - 26 Years Old
Tried to hold off on listening to anymore new songs til I got my preorder, but I couldn't help checking out one of Josh's radio performances yesterday. This is "Hopeful":

06:09 AM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
gman610
Second Best
Chattanooga, TN
Male - 22 Years Old
Definitely my favorite song on the album.
01:01 PM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
StreetSpirit76
Michigan
Male - 24 Years Old
So Runs... had the slowest burn for me. I remember being massively letdown when it was released, so much so that I listened to it twice and put it on the shelf for about six months or something. Then, in the midst of a Ritter kick, I picked it back up and started listening to it off and on again, waiting for it to click. It never really did, though I like it a lot more now than I did. The high points ("The Curse," "Another New World") are ludicrously high, but something about the overall direction of that album just doesn't gel with me the way his previous work did.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. I think this guy is possibly the best lyricist to come around since Nick Cave, and The Animal Years would most likely crack an overall Top 100 Albums list from me. I'd love to hear him top it.
06:12 PM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
FeynmanWannabe
Take Ecstasy With Me
Western MA
Male - 29 Years Old
So Runs... had the slowest burn for me. I remember being massively letdown when it was released, so much so that I listened to it twice and put it on the shelf for about six months or something. Then, in the midst of a Ritter kick, I picked it back up and started listening to it off and on again, waiting for it to click. It never really did, though I like it a lot more now than I did. The high points ("The Curse," "Another New World") are ludicrously high, but something about the overall direction of that album just doesn't gel with me the way his previous work did.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. I think this guy is possibly the best lyricist to come around since Nick Cave, and The Animal Years would most likely crack an overall Top 100 Albums list from me. I'd love to hear him top it.

Agree with all of this 100%.
06:33 PM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
odizzle_word
I know my calculus
Brooklyn, NY
Female - 26 Years Old
A dude a few posts up said it's on SoulSeek. I didn't even know that was still a thing. Anyway, it's nowhere else from what I could tell.
06:36 PM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
Southern California
Male - 26 Years Old
Honestly surprised SoulSeek is still a thing
06:54 PM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
gman610
Second Best
Chattanooga, TN
Male - 22 Years Old
It still exists! It's useful at times, although it's not the only thing I use. (Not that I'm like downloading constantly without any qualms or whatever - usually just stuff I've preordered - I do buy my music.)
07:12 PM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
odizzle_word
I know my calculus
Brooklyn, NY
Female - 26 Years Old

I feel like I'm still trying to get used to that album. Didn't like it at first, but after a while the songs started to sink in. It's just one of those albums that takes a while to absorb, I guess.

I think the thing about So Runs... is that you can't listen to it as background music, it's an album you really need to pay attention to in order to enjoy. Most of the songs are so dense, it's like Josh set out to record an album where each song was "Thin Blue Flame"-like in its epicness. The songs by themselves are fine, but overall the record is exhausting to listen to straight through.

From the songs that've been released so far, Beast seems like it'll be pretty balanced. I'm most interested in how autobiographical the lyrics are when in countless interviews before he used to claim not to like autobiographical songs.
07:32 PM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
gman610
Second Best
Chattanooga, TN
Male - 22 Years Old
That's really surprising to hear, for me. So Runs... has long been possibly my favorite Ritter album and has been since it came out. Historical Conquests... is really really close for me though. I can agree with the exhausting comments, but I think that the pacing and overall journey-type feel of the album is what makes it so special for me (although I think if he had taken off a few songs, e.g. "The Remnant," it would have been just a little bit better).
10:29 PM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
Jlee@thedisco
wildwood,MO
Male - 23 Years Old
I feel like I'm still trying to get used to that album. Didn't like it at first, but after a while the songs started to sink in. It's just one of those albums that takes a while to absorb, I guess.

I think the thing about So Runs... is that you can't listen to it as background music, it's an album you really need to pay attention to in order to enjoy. Most of the songs are so dense, it's like Josh set out to record an album where each song was "Thin Blue Flame"-like in its epicness. The songs by themselves are fine, but overall the record is exhausting to listen to straight through.

From the songs that've been released so far, Beast seems like it'll be pretty balanced. I'm most interested in how autobiographical the lyrics are when in countless interviews before he used to claim not to like autobiographical songs.
I didn't like it that much at first either save for a few songs. The thing that really got me into it was seeing those songs played live. EVERYONE NEEDS TO SEE HIM LIVE
11:47 PM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
alann
Let's go get 'em
El Paso, Texas
Male

Great way to put it. Songs like Folk Bloodbath, Lantern, and Orbital are so tiring to listen to because they are so overproduced. I'm glad he toned it down this time around.

And the lyrics are pretty much along the same line as Bringing In The Darlings, except more uplifting. Which is fine, but for now I'll miss the The Temptation of Adams, the The Thin Blue Flames, and the Another New Worlds.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos