AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Old Rules - 12.11.12

Old Rules - 12.11.12

Interviewed by
Old Rules - 12.11.12The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Old Rules

http://www.facebook.com/oldrules
Our debut EP "Sad Songs" is available for free at http://oldrules.bandcamp.com

1. How did you get your band name?

We got our band name from the Hot Water Music song off of A Flight A Crash. We're all pretty big HWM fans.

2. How did this band get started?

Cody, Alex, and myself (Nat) used to play in a melodic hardcore band together called Constraints. When the band started to wind down and get a little stale, we decided we wanted to have a run at some kind of emo/post-rock kind of thing. We got our friends Nic and Adam, who we had known for a really long time and got them in on it. The band didn't really end up sounding like we originally intended, but we're all pretty happy with where we went with it!

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Our influences are pretty diverse among our members but some common denominators would definitely include Nirvana, American Football, Brand New, The Weakerthans, Matthew Good, Hot Water Music, and Jimmy Eat World.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Being more on the realistic side, touring with Balance and Composure, Citizen, Title Fight, Daylight, Basement, or any of the bands in that vein would be wicked. Touring with Brand New would basically be a dream come true for all of us. If we want to be blatantly unrealistic I think we'd all lose our shit if we got to tour with The Foo Fighters or Matthew Good.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Hummus and pita is a mainstay for those of us who have toured before. Beyond that just burgers. Tons and tons of burgers.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

I guess because we're all experienced musicians. I hear a lot of bands where you can tell pretty distinctly that it's those kids' first band. A lot of song structure stuff can't really be taught, only learned from experience

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Cody would undoubtedly say Pavel Datsyuk.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Probably our families, girlfriends, all the various show promoters around our home town, whoever recorded the release that won the Grammy, a laundry list of friends. Nothing too out of the ordinary.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

I would put a cap on how many albums you can download illegally per month. It's not an issue of whether or not music should be free, I just find that people end up in a musical overload where they listen to an album a small handful of times and move on to the next thing. People don't tend to take the time to appreciate an album as a whole, which makes it really tough to establish which will stand out as "classics" 20 years from now.

10. Memorable tour experience?

We played what we were told was going to be a house show in Ajax, Ontario and we expected some grimy punk basement. Turned out it was in a small mansion (tennis court and all) and as un-punk as that may have been, it turned out to be a wicked party with really good vibes. Just goes to show that you shouldn't inherently resent the wealthy.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

I try to avoid music message boards and forums like the plague. That said, I find they do have their place in modern music. I really just use AP.net as a source for news about my favourite bands.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

I think we can all safely agree that our newest song (which isn't recorded yet) is our favourite to play. I think Cody named it "Swirl". It's just got a solid bounce to it that makes it really enjoyable to play.

13. What music reminds you of your childhood?

There used to be a mix CD series put out by MuchMusic (Canadian MTV) called Big Shiny Tunes. It was basically a mix CD of a bunch of cool rock song songs that came out that year. The first one I bought was Big Shiny Tunes 5, and it had Sum 41, blink-182, Matthew Good, Deftones, Stone Temple Pilots... basically any song that was on one of those mix CDs reminds me of my childhood.

14. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Teleportation because driving sucks.

15. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Don't practice the day of a show. If the practice goes really well, odds are you won't replicate it. If the practice goes horrible, you'll get psyched out. I guess it's not so much of a superstition as it is a precaution.

16. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Me and Cody have started like 18 bands in the last year. None of them have any songs yet, and most of them are just me and him.

17. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

Here in Ottawa we have some really solid college radio, as well as a pretty decent "alt rock" radio station. The alt rock station splits its time between what's popular (although they have some pretty cool in house policies such as "Gaga Free", "No Nickelback guarantee", etc.) and more "indie" music. They also hold a city wide concert series called the "Big Money Shot" where local indie and rock bands compete for some pretty big cash. That being said, I feel like radio has little or no bearing on the world of punk. College radio shows are great and all but they don't tend to be widely listened to.

18. What do you like to do in your spare time?

We play Xbox. NHL 13 and Halo 4. Our gamertags are on our Facebook page somewhere.

19. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

Me and Cody have a made up language. We basically just say gibberish that sounds like a mix between Spanish, Dutch, and Japanese. Very few words have defined meanings but we somehow always know what the other person is trying to say. It absolutely fucks with everyone who sees it in action.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version