AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: When We Were Giants - 12.12.12

When We Were Giants - 12.12.12

Interviewed by
When We Were Giants - 12.12.12The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

When We Were Giants

http://www.facebook.com/whenweweregiantsuk
http://whenweweregiants.bandcamp.com
http://twitter.com/dropdeadgreg
http://dropdeadgreg.tumblr.com (website links, as many as you want to include)

1. How did you get your band name?

The band name is a paraphrase from Winnie the Pooh. I love Winnie The Pooh and the name seemed to be fitting to what we're about and what our music's about.

2. How did this band get started?

I want to start this by saying me and Kane never got along in school. Anyways, a year and a half ago I used to be in a band and we needed a new bassist because of whatever reason, so one of the other members thought it would be a good idea to get Kane. I obviously didn't, but I said okay, we'll give it a go anyways, so we did. Turned out we patched things up and got along, so that was great. That band then dissolved because of various reasons but me and Kane continued working on music and here we are!

3. What bands are you influenced by?

So many, I think you can hear some more than others, so out of those, Blink 182, Jimmy Eat World, The Wonder Years, A Day To Remember, 30 Seconds To Mars, American Football. It's hard to say, really. We listen to a range of music and we try to take in all the influences. Obviously we can't start rapping cause we listen to Lil Wayne, but we try to take stuff away from things like that.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Asking Alexandria, there wouldn't be a dull moment. Those dudes are hilarious. Or Justin Bieber. Tell me that's not good exposure?

5. Best food to eat on tour?
Not salad. I went to a studio in London a year or so ago and only packed two little boxes of salad, and it went moldy within a few days. Pizza is the best food on tour. Tastes good if it's hot or cold and it stays alright for a while.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Because we give our music away for free. There's nothing to lose. And cause we're just normal people, both students, so you can listen to it and chat to us about it... or anything else for that matter.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

I know squat about sports. But Michael Jordan just to star along side Bugs Bunny in Space Jam.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

The obvious people, girlfriend, family, friends, fans. And me for being successful.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

That's hard. Music is dead so there's so much to change. Either the fact that people won't give small bands a chance or the fact that a lot of music is just manufactured. Don't get me wrong, I love Justin Bieber and One Direction, I'm the first to admit that, but it doesn't stop them from being fake musicians.

10. Memorable tour experience?

Watching my friend bathe in mayonnaise, orange juice, pork pies, piss, beer, sour cream and everything else we had only to realise that someone else had used all the shower gel to clean his arse. We also couldn't afford shower gel so he smelt real bad for the rest of the time.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

Trying to revive music. Obviously AP.net can't do it itself and we can't do it and no record label can do it, but it definitely plays its part.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

When The Ship Goes Down or Stay. They're both big songs which are about being okay with yourself and situations, and they're nostalgic. There's nothing like nostalgia.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

I don't know. There's a few. Holland cause I have family there. Lake District cause I went there when I was a kid, and it was quality. Scarborough cause I went there six months ago and it was beautiful and Brighton cause I went there a few weeks ago and it was beautiful.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Pet Shop Boys, my dad would listen to them all the time. Apart from them, it's just the odd song, Brown Eyed Girl, Lola, Don't Look Back In Anger.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

The ability to pause time, the shit you could pull with that power. Nearly everyone wishes they have that power at least once in their young life. Things would be so much more chilled too.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Say "I don't want to do this, I want to go home". That's just nerves though, I'm not a dick. I don't think.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

I'm still in college. Not American college either, English college. So sixth form equivalent. I don't know what that is in america. But a few people said that judging from my music and art etc, I'm an 80's kid. That is not the case.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

It definitely helps, there's no argument about that, but it seems that the amount of people who listen to radio is getting less and less. With independent radio anyway.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Read comics. Watch The Walking Dead. Get tattooed, do art, read. And of course, go on tumblr. My last year of school was mostly spent on there.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I don't have any I don't think. I was a second degree black belt. Is that a talent? No, I don't have any hidden talents I dont think.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
01:08 AM on 01/31/13
david_m
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
the walking dead is great.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles