AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

09:31 AM on 12/14/12 
User Info.
KellyGleason
Long Island
Female - 25 Years Old
A child is dead.. how could someone hurt a baby? I cried just watching the interview where the kid said there was an animal loose in the school. How heartbreaking.
09:40 AM on 12/14/12 
User Info.
KellyGleason
Long Island
Female - 25 Years Old
14 kids?!? I can't stop crying people are so sick.
09:54 AM on 12/14/12 
User Info.
KellyGleason
Long Island
Female - 25 Years Old
where the hell are you guys getting this info?
cbs news on tv. 27 people, 14 children.
10:07 AM on 12/14/12 
User Info.
KellyGleason
Long Island
Female - 25 Years Old
18 children now. Same total.
oh my god
07:24 PM on 12/14/12 
User Info.
KellyGleason
Long Island
Female - 25 Years Old
The mental health issue is something that needs to be addressed. I see far too many of my patients get discharged when their insurance decides it's time for them to go, not when they're ready. I see a ton of frequent fliers on the floor because they cannot live a normal life if they're not mentally stable. So sad to see.

I cannot fathom what the families and children must be going through. They're going to be petrified to go back to school now, and that shouldn't happen. Poor babies :(
07:40 AM on 12/15/12 
User Info.
KellyGleason
Long Island
Female - 25 Years Old
I understand that we need better health care but will that solve this particular issue? I mean, plenty of people have health care but don't utilize it or put themselves in a position where they will be detected for having serious issues. Or is that just being an assumption.
his brother outright stated that he knew that his brother had mental health issues. My point wasn't so much as having healthcare as it was actually seeking it. If a mental health issue is there, it should be addressed. But there's a huge stigma around it so people are either afraid of treatment or decide not to take their meds. Then they become a danger to themselves and others, and are usually picked up by family or police for doing something outrageous.

I meant more so that his family knew he was mentally compromised but didn't really push for treatment. I totally get what you mean though. It's a sad situation
11:03 AM on 12/15/12 
User Info.
KellyGleason
Long Island
Female - 25 Years Old
Yeah that's what I'm saying. People are pushing for better health care or something but clearly the people suffering have to actually be pro-active about actually using it to treat mental health issues. This family is a perfect example of knowing and possibly having the means and not doing anything about it.
i was able to sit in on some drug rep meetings and they're really pushing to make long(er)-term injectable meds. Saw one for schizophrenia that lasts for 3 months between injections, and since an appt is scheduled for the injection, the office will call and make sure they come in for their next dose. Increases med compliance to an extent, but they'll never perfect it. That's why we see so many "meds over objection" cases on the psych floor. Hopefully this spreads some awareness :/
02:32 PM on 12/18/12 
User Info.
KellyGleason
Long Island
Female - 25 Years Old
Obviously this is horrible and heartbreaking and senseless to the extreme. These kids and adults will always be remembered and they are in a beautiful place for sure.

But, in my opinion the talk of mental illness is bothering me to an extent. Yes, mental illness of some kind was more than likely a factor. But to me, this goes beyond any mental illness. Oh, he was shy and depressed and disturbed...that's enough to shoot a 6 year old child 3 times in the head? No. This "person" was not even a person, it was just pure evil inside of him. Nothing else could explain how a human being could do this. There is no cure or treatment for this kind of "mental illness". It is evil, plain and simple. And calling for better mental health standards is always good, I have always been an advocate. My close friend is diagnosed with schizophrenia and it is something I know about well. The stigma involved is not easy to bear. But finding out what this killer was or could have been diagnosed with will not solve anything. He was evil. That is all. There is no plausible explanation or psychological rhetoric that can work through this, but again, just my opinion.
Symptoms of mental illness, but not definitive mental illnesses. Some people's brain chemistry renders them unable to distinguish right from wrong, reality from illusion, evil from good. Not justifying his actions by any means, but I've spoken to plenty of mentally ill patients on my floor who say the most outrageous things without an ounce of sympathy. It almost seems unreal.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos