Username
Password
Books News - Page 12
Displaying posts 165 - 180 of 206.
04:57 PM on 12/18/12
Star Slight
User Info.
Now that I'm home, I can clarify.
My intent (which doesn't matter blah blah blah) in dissecting the lyrics was to explain the meaning to you because I truly did not believe you understood the metaphor at play. I was not passing judgement on Frank's "intent" to include that metaphor. I wasn't talking about how cool it was that he meant to do that.
I was simply explaining the lyrics.
Therefore, I was not implying any type of fallacy in that post, and you are wrong to assume that I was. You'd be misinterpreting my intent to further your own argument and to get further away from the discussion at hand.
I completely agree with the idea that an artist's intent shouldn't matter when discussing the art. Hence why I hate Set Your Goals' "This Song Is Definitely Not About A Girl" so much. I even argued that point to the artists who wrote the song.
Meaning does exist on the page, I also 100% agree with that. The meaning of the lyrics appears in the fucking lyrics. Whether you like them or not is one thing, but to misunderstand the meaning of the words in a song and then call the writer "not good", because you don't understand what is being said, is ignorance. It's why people call movies pretentious and dismiss entire genres of music.

I, and most of this thread, would like to know why you don't think his lyrics are good. Why you don't like his metaphors and useage of irony and whatever you said. We don't want this thread to devolve into you name dropping (yes, you namedropped before until you began to provide examples of your point) fallacies and philosophers without actually talking about them. We don't want this to break down into you defining how to criticize art or how to define "good" and "average" on some weird spectrum. We'd like to know what you think of the lyrics.
05:35 PM on 12/18/12
Theseventhson
User Info.
I would love if Jason would admit, even if just once, that he said something completely idiotic.
05:43 PM on 12/18/12
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.
New Criticism seems to me like New Coke - we should just stick with the original.
06:07 PM on 12/18/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
New Criticism seems to me like New Coke - we should just stick with the original.
no one should ever give in to bullshit
06:42 PM on 12/18/12
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
This thread got weird and confusing. I like Frank Ocean, dude writes songs I enjoy. I think he is great writer/singer. Totally down to admit that if I only listened to above average singers I would probably have to lose most of the artists I love. Any arguments about philosophies on criticism seem like huuuuuuge wastes of time.
07:20 PM on 12/18/12
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Don't know what happened here...

Either way, I may not be as taken with Channel ORANGE as many are, and Frank's delivery oscillates a bit for me, but one listen to "Strawberry Swing" should prove that he's a great singer.
07:26 PM on 12/18/12
Manufactured Dreams
Fabricated Revolution
User Info.
Don't know what happened here...

Either way, I may not be as taken with Channel ORANGE as many are, and Frank's delivery oscillates a bit for me, but one listen to "Strawberry Swing" should prove that he's a great singer.
That song proves he's a great singer and songwriter.
07:35 PM on 12/18/12
Star Slight
User Info.
he's not "great" q. he's just above-good
07:39 PM on 12/18/12
BornUnderPunches
I am not a dirty god
User Info.
"great" is a title reserved for high school choirs
07:39 PM on 12/18/12
Manufactured Dreams
Fabricated Revolution
User Info.
I get "great" and "above-good" mixed up all the time. I really wish Tate would explain the difference a bit better so I can stop being such a ditz
07:50 PM on 12/18/12
Ryan Dennehy
Oh wow, this thread.
08:07 PM on 12/18/12
leftapart
User Info.
I really don't understand this sudden surge/trend of musicians thinking they can successfully write and distribute a decent book, of any kind.
08:16 PM on 12/18/12
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
I really don't understand this sudden surge/trend of musicians thinking they can successfully write and distribute a decent book, of any kind.
I totally agree with you, its a general trend with people wanting to say they're writers, or thinking they're writers, when they've actually never really written anything. Frank may be a great song writer, but a novel is a completely different process that I doubt many musicians would be able to successfully complete.

But more importantly, this is just an off-hand comment he made about how cool it would be if he just dropped a novel next year. There's no indication that he'd actually write one, just like there's no reason to believe he'd design a stadium. Not a serious statement at all.
09:21 PM on 12/18/12
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.
miserable-awful-bad-ok-alright-decent-good-above good-pretty good-great-fantastic-orgasmic
11:06 PM on 12/18/12
EndlessPrisoner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I would love if Jason would admit, even if just once, that he said something completely idiotic.
will never.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums