Username
Password

Comments: Page 8
Displaying posts 105 - 120 of 127
04:12 PM on 12/22/12
Ollie McKraut
Registered Member
User Info.
This review walks the Jason Tate party line pretty precisely.

There weren't any "bonus" tracks. I don't have the link, but Mark explicitly stated it in an interview. The album being split into two versions was a marketing ploy.

Love this, by the way. Happened to see the disc in a store and picked it up, for a fairly steep price, realizing later that I got screwed out of 30% of the tracklist.
09:54 PM on 12/22/12
cut!print
Keep me simple, unplug my head.
User Info.
This EP is better than all of Neighborhoods. And its still not very good. Well written review though.

Yep.
01:08 AM on 12/23/12
blinko_
wasting time.
User Info.
you're a fanboy. you probably dream of one day jacking tom off and having it all over you. don't quote me with your nonsense.

I'm no fanboy, but I am a massive fan. There is a distinct difference, something you seem incapable of seeing. Whilst my love of the band skews me to the positive end of the scale, I can at least ARGUE and REASON why I like and dislike certain songs. That is the difference between you and I.

For the record, I think this EP is a very solid effort. I don't think it is their best work; "Boxing Day" isn't bad, it's just, meh. "When I Was Young" is a good song, but I think the verses are much stronger than the chorus. I think "Dogs Eating Dogs" is the strongest track, followed by "Pretty Little Girl" (although the Yelawolf cameo still jars with me) and "Disaster". I also think that blink have managed to retain a more cohesive sound, but I still think the songs lack a bit of, fluidity?

You came out and said that Mark would be better off without Tom, and then follow that (perfectly reasonable) statement with "Untitled is by far their best effort". That album features Tom on vocals more than Mark. You may spit back at me and say that "I Miss You", "Down", "Go" and "Here's Your Letter" are the best songs, but I know for a fact (every past blink thread from recent memory) that your favourite song is "Stockholm Syndrome". Ironically, that tune features BOTH Mark and Tom. I figured it was time someone tore apart your long history and complete lack of fucking ability to form a solid argument.
01:11 AM on 12/23/12
blinko_
wasting time.
User Info.

Love this, by the way. Happened to see the disc in a store and picked it up, for a fairly steep price, realizing later that I got screwed out of 30% of the tracklist.

Absolutely spewing dude! With TOYPAJ being the exception, blink's history of releasing bonus songs / B-sides is almost non-existant; studio tunes not live versions.
03:17 AM on 12/23/12
LGFUAD21
User Info.
A good review, you' absolutely right about Neighbourhoods lacking cohesion. Even though I like that album still.

This one just finitely sounds like they were there together it finds a better mix of the +44 AVA sounds than Neighbourhoods and adds some nice Blink bite to it.

Definitely would agree Boxing Day is the weakest track, but the rest more than makes up for it. You can hear the guys enjoying themselves on this record, that is what I like the most.
07:30 AM on 12/23/12
HarryPotter
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm no fanboy, but I am a massive fan. There is a distinct difference, something you seem incapable of seeing. Whilst my love of the band skews me to the positive end of the scale, I can at least ARGUE and REASON why I like and dislike certain songs. That is the difference between you and I.

For the record, I think this EP is a very solid effort. I don't think it is their best work; "Boxing Day" isn't bad, it's just, meh. "When I Was Young" is a good song, but I think the verses are much stronger than the chorus. I think "Dogs Eating Dogs" is the strongest track, followed by "Pretty Little Girl" (although the Yelawolf cameo still jars with me) and "Disaster". I also think that blink have managed to retain a more cohesive sound, but I still think the songs lack a bit of, fluidity?

You came out and said that Mark would be better off without Tom, and then follow that (perfectly reasonable) statement with "Untitled is by far their best effort". That album features Tom on vocals more than Mark. You may spit back at me and say that "I Miss You", "Down", "Go" and "Here's Your Letter" are the best songs, but I know for a fact (every past blink thread from recent memory) that your favourite song is "Stockholm Syndrome". Ironically, that tune features BOTH Mark and Tom. I figured it was time someone tore apart your long history and complete lack of fucking ability to form a solid argument.
I will not deny that Stockholm Syndrome is my favorite song. I have said it and I have not reneged. Nor will I deny that I said the Self-Title is my favorite album. The best song imo has Tom on the vocals. That is true, I think they did a great job. Here's Your Letter, All of This, these are songs that will be played for years to come. But people are aware that Toms vocals began to change during AVA. Sure you can say it's growth or whatever, but I don't like it. And I probably won't ever like it. Thus Tom ruins the songs for me now. I haven't liked anything from Tom post WDNTW. A Fanboy won't understand that I stopped liking Tom's voice because of change. A fanboy will argue to the end of days that my reasoning isn't sound. And a fanboy would pick a fight with me just because I said Mark would be better off without Tom. Why I said that? Because Mark sounds the same. There's a major difference other than cohesiveness on Neighborhoods and this EP, and it's tom. He has changed not for the better IMO.

I don't go out attacking people for what they post. I think it's immature. No matter how my post sounded to you, next time don't get carried away in your emotions and remain level headed. You could simply ask me why and i'd be more than willing to explain to you how I came to such a "perfectly reasonable" statement in all aspects of my writing. And trust me, I could have replied in a way that would have agitated you so much that you would reply with a deluge of name-calling. But I think even I can come down to your level and lift you back up to mine. I mean, I do have some nice in me.
09:08 AM on 12/23/12
codeseven
fucked tortured and discarded
User Info.
ok, I could understand if you found the self-titled's lyrics not as relatable as previous releases, but to call them "weak"? That's just flat out wrong. I'm not one of those people either who say "who listens to blink for lyrics", I love everything they've done. But in every aspect of musicianship, self-titled is easily the best thing they've done to this point. If you just don't like it, I get it though. There's plenty of blink fans who don't like the direction they went. Def not attacking you, I get that it's your opinion, music is subjective lol. I just think it's blatantly wrong to say their lyrics got weak.
Nah you bring up a good point. Weak wasn't the word I should have used. As you said, not as easy to relate to was better way of putting it.
10:19 AM on 12/23/12
Ollie McKraut
Registered Member
User Info.
I will not deny that Stockholm Syndrome is my favorite song. I have said it and I have not reneged. Nor will I deny that I said the Self-Title is my favorite album. The best song imo has Tom on the vocals. That is true, I think they did a great job. Here's Your Letter, All of This, these are songs that will be played for years to come. But people are aware that Toms vocals began to change during AVA. Sure you can say it's growth or whatever, but I don't like it. And I probably won't ever like it. Thus Tom ruins the songs for me now. I haven't liked anything from Tom post WDNTW. A Fanboy won't understand that I stopped liking Tom's voice because of change. A fanboy will argue to the end of days that my reasoning isn't sound. And a fanboy would pick a fight with me just because I said Mark would be better off without Tom. Why I said that? Because Mark sounds the same. There's a major difference other than cohesiveness on Neighborhoods and this EP, and it's tom. He has changed not for the better IMO.

My feelings exactly on Tom. Though I don't mind him too much on Boxing Day.
11:14 AM on 12/23/12
HarryPotter
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
My feelings exactly on Tom. Though I don't mind him too much on Boxing Day.
Yah I agree, he sounded ok on Boxing Day. Though the song reminded me of Smash Mouth's All-Star. But the Tom who was so good on Elevator and All Of This seems to be gone forever

edit: Tom sounds a lot better on the EP than Neighborhoods, but still can't compete with old Tom.
01:26 AM on 12/24/12
blinko_
wasting time.
User Info.

I don't go out attacking people for what they post. I think it's immature. No matter how my post sounded to you, next time don't get carried away in your emotions and remain level headed. You could simply ask me why and i'd be more than willing to explain to you how I came to such a "perfectly reasonable" statement in all aspects of my writing. And trust me, I could have replied in a way that would have agitated you so much that you would reply with a deluge of name-calling. But I think even I can come down to your level and lift you back up to mine. I mean, I do have some nice in me.

I'm pleasantly surprised. Much better.
07:53 AM on 12/24/12
thedood
Canadian Mafia
User Info.
I prefer neighborhoods
09:47 AM on 12/24/12
HarryPotter
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm pleasantly surprised. Much better.
never again will I justify my comments. Consider yourself special
11:38 AM on 12/24/12
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
Nah you bring up a good point. Weak wasn't the word I should have used. As you said, not as easy to relate to was better way of putting it.

Haha yeah I figured that's what you meant. To each their own for sure. Self-titled's my favorite, but I can pull out any album at any time cause every release pretty much syncs with where I was in life at the time. Like I said, I'll always love those albums.
05:18 PM on 12/24/12
ZeoVGM
PINK WIG, THICK ASS.
User Info.
Listened to it a few more times over the past two days. This is a damn great EP and it makes me excited for the next album. You can honestly tell they recorded together again.

I'm curious, could you elaborate on this?
06:09 PM on 12/24/12
Ollie McKraut
Registered Member
User Info.

I'm curious, could you elaborate on this?

Sources for this post are this review and the "Stream Blink 182's New EP" news posting from 17DEC.

Here's Jason's response to a commenter distressed about the EP "sounding like AvA and +44 b-sides mixed together...boxing day is the only good song"

-Clearly intended to be dismissive of using comparisons to the side projects as a criticism. Furthermore, Jason reiterates, responding to a claim that more than one outlying listener has expressed displeasure with the EP's similarity to Everything's Magic by quipping:

You guys can all be dumb - it is possible.

Less antagonistic but similar sentiments are found in this passage in Keagan's review:

" Yes, at times it sounds like Angels & Airwaves, +44 and every other Blink project, but at the end of the day it sounds like Blink 182. Thanks to the band's side-projects these comparisons will never die, and it's a shame."

Meanwhile, the second part of that paragraph:

"With most of the members closing in on 40, the guys have deserted the immature ways of the past and now make the music they should be making."

Exhibits an eerie similarity to an offhand remark made by Jason in the newspost, parentheticals mine:

I really want this band to never do that (go back to the EOTS/TOYPAJ sound). They're almost 40.

I've gotten bored of looking for cite-able data, but both individuals recognize that the album displays more influence from a combination of side project albums rather than something from blink-182's history. Both individuals dismiss this as a significant criticism of an album released under the name "blink-182," while claiming that at their age, these musicians don't really fit the "punk" demographic, thus giving credence to the synths and weird voice inspired by Tom DeLonge. Neither seem to admit that blink-182 fans might be reasonably put-off by the direction the band has taken. Just my opinion.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos